No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Outlook 2010 GAL not updating after 24 hours.

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi, i recently deleted a few shared mailboxes and also created several room mailboxes. There are also a couple of test mailboxes i deleted. I went on the OWA and only the Room mailboxes are showing. The one i deleted are not there anymore. It seems to be working on the Office 365 OWA But on the Outlook 2010 client side, the address book (GAL) is still showing all the shared mailboxes i deleted, the test mailbox i deleted, the new room mailboxes i created. My users are looking at it and they are all confused.

Is been 3 days already and the Outlook 2010 GAL is still not updated. I tried creating a new profile, deleted the OAB files, redownload the offline address book but no luck. Is there a command to update the Address book in Office 365 power shell? Please help!! Thanks in advance.

Verified Answer
  • Got the solution from "TransporterAccident" posted to this forum.  community.office365.com/.../224924.aspx

Here is the solution:

1.Download and install the latest copy of the Microsoft Online Service Module for PowerShell:

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../ff652560.aspx

2.Start a PowerShell session w/Office 365

3.Run the following command:

Get-MsolUser -ReturnDeletedUsers | foreach { Remove-MsolUser -ObjectId $_.ObjectId -RemoveFromRecycleBin -Force }

All Replies
  • Hi Collin,

Thanks for your post here. Based on your description, I understand that you want update the Address Book(GAL) in Outlook 2010. If I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

Please refer to the detailed steps below to update the Global Address List :

1. Close Outlook

2. Delete the offline address book folder:

For Windows 7:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Offline Address Books

For Windows XP:

C:\documents and settings\username\

3. Open Outlook and Click Account Settings, then click Download Address Book.

4. Perform the following actions, then click OK.

--Uncheck Download changes since last Send/Receive.

-- Select Full Details.

--Choose \Global Address List.

A new version of the Global Address List will be downloaded. The status window will open to indicate that the download is in progress and will close automatically when the download is complete.

After doing this , please check the result.

Thanks,
    Linda Wang

• Thanks Linda. I already tried your steps before I posted here. I also created a new profile to see if it resolve the problem but no luck.

• Hi Collin,

Thanks for your update.

Please try the following steps to see if this will help.

1.Install and Configure Windows PowerShell

help.outlook.com/.../cc952756.aspx  

2.Connect Windows PowerShell to the Service

help.outlook.com/.../cc952755.aspx  

3.Run the command :

Update-GlobalAddressList -identity “Default Global Address List”

4.Open the Outlook and check the result

Thanks ,
    Linda Wang

• Thanks Linda. I login and ran the command but it didn't work. It said "The term Update-GlobalAddressList' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet.' I'm currently on Office 365. I know that on Exchange 2010 that command should work.

• Same issue here.  I deleted a RoomMailbox a few days ago and created a new one with the same name, now the address book is showing duplicates and confusing our users.  I have deleted the OAB and downloaded a new one, but no luck.  The Cmdlet you mentioned is not available to Office 365 unfortunately.

Outlook Web App reflects the correct mailboxes, but Outlook 2010 does not update.  I noticed on the deleted one in the address book, if I right click it and choose properties, then the e-mail address tab, there is a new address in the box:

DLTDNETID: 10037FE824A8A0EA

• Hi utahbmxer,

Given the current situation, I would suggest you post a new thread about the detailed information of the issue you encountered and the steps you have done to resolve it, this is so we could focus on your questions and provide more specific solutions for you.

Hi Collin,

Thanks for your update.

Based on the current situation, this issue might be caused by some corrupted OST files and profiles. So please delete all these files first , then create a new profile to see if this will help.

Step 1: Run desktop setup, please refer to the link below to run desktop setup:

============================================================

Office 365 subscription for enterprise:

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../ff637594.aspx

Office 365 subscription for small business:

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../ff637537.aspx

Step2: Find the OST files in your company, then delete them:

================================================

Windows 7 and Windows Vista: drive:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Windows XP: drive:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Step3: Delete or create a profile:

===========================

1.Open start -> control Panel.

2.Click view by Large icons.

3.Click Mail(32- bit).

4.Click to Show Profiles.

5.If you want to create a new profile ,click Add button and type the new profile name, click OK.

If you want to delete a profile, select the profile and click remove, click OK.

6. Cancel the following account setting, choose always use this profile, and choose the newly created profile in the dropdown list

7.Click OK.

Step 4: Add Office 365 account into Outlook as an Exchange account:

=====================================================

Set Up E-Mail in Outlook 2010:

help.outlook.com/.../dd253202.aspx

Thanks,
    Linda Wang

• Hi Linda, I recreated my profile on another brand new windows machine with no profile and it is still doing that. I believe it has something to do with the Microsoft's server not updating the GAL.

• Hi Collin,

Thanks for your update.

Please turn off Cached Exchange Mode in Outlook client to see if this will help. Please refer to the detailed steps to achieve this:

1.Open Outlook, click File tab.

2.Click Account Setting

3.On the E-mail tab, click the Exchange account, and then click Change.

4.Under Microsoft Exchange server, select or clear the Use Cached Exchange Mode check box.

5.Click Next->OK->Finish->Close

6.Exit and then restart Microsoft Outlook 2010.

You can get more information about turning off Cached Exchange Mode by referring to the link below:

office.microsoft.com/.../turn-on-or-off-cached-exchange-mode-HP010355560.aspx

If this will work, please create a new profile to test it again.

Thanks,
    Linda Wang

• Thanks Linda. Outlook was a little bit slower but the deleted shared mailboxes/room mailboxes are still in the GAL.

• Hi Collin,

Can you check this in OWA to see whether the shared mailboxes/room mailboxes are still in the OWA GAL?

• The OWA GAL looks good without the deleted shared mailboxes or room mailboxes showing.

• Hi Collin,

Outlook will only download the OAB once every 24 hours, if the program is left constantly running.
    Normally it takes longer than that for Outlook to get the new changes shown in GAL. See the example below.

Outlook 2007/2010 downloads the files from the OABvirtualDirectory and the files there are updated every 8 hours (=Pollinterval 480)
    So in other words, when you manually update the OAB and don't update the OABVirtualdirectory, there's nothing new for the client to download.
    To update the OABFiles: Update-FileDistributionService -Identity Server1 -Type "OAB"

Example:
    Monday at 09:00 - Outlook 2007/2010 downloads the OAB
    Monday at 14:00 - A new mailbox is created
    Tuesday at 05:00 - Exchange OAB Generation runs
    Tuesday at 09:00 - Outlook 2007/2010 checks for new OAB
    Tuesday at 11:00 - OABVirtualdirectory is updated
    Wednesday at 09:00 - Outlook 2007/2010 downloads the new updates.

Thanks,

Tom

• Hi Collin,

Just checking in to see if you have any other questions.

If so, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Linda Wang

• The Update-FileDistributionService is an invalid command in the powershell (Office 365).

• Got the solution from "TransporterAccident" posted to this forum.  community.office365.com/.../224924.aspx

Here is the solution:

1.Download and install the latest copy of the Microsoft Online Service Module for PowerShell:

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../ff652560.aspx

2.Start a PowerShell session w/Office 365

3.Run the following command:

Get-MsolUser -ReturnDeletedUsers | foreach { Remove-MsolUser -ObjectId $_.ObjectId -RemoveFromRecycleBin -Force }