No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Hidden Site Collections in SharePoint Online

This question is answered This question is answered

I have discovered that there are hidden site collections automatically provisioned within my SharePoint Online instance. There is a /search and also a sites/contentTypeHub.

Why are they hidden?

Why can't I access them from the Manage Site Collections page?

What are the quota and resource settings for these sites and how do they impact the total quota/scoring?

Can they be removed safely or should we use these as they have been provided?

Are there any other site collections hidden away?

Thanks.

Damien.

Verified Answer
  • Hi Damien,

The Search and ContentTypeHub site collections are default site collections for each tenant. They are provided by default, and cannot be deleted. The maximum storage allowed for both the two site collections are 1 GB. You can see the storage usage for the site collection by adding "_layouts/usage.aspx" at the end of the site collection URL.

So far, I haven't seen any other hidden site collection in SharePoint Online.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Hi Damien,

Do you have any other questions about hidden site collections in Office 365?

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

All Replies
  • Hi Damien,

The Search and ContentTypeHub site collections are default site collections for each tenant. They are provided by default, and cannot be deleted. The maximum storage allowed for both the two site collections are 1 GB. You can see the storage usage for the site collection by adding "_layouts/usage.aspx" at the end of the site collection URL.

So far, I haven't seen any other hidden site collection in SharePoint Online.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Hi Damien,

Do you have any other questions about hidden site collections in Office 365?

Thanks,
    Reken Liu