No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Access 2010 Web Databases

This question is answered This question is answered

First of all i suspect this is a basic question but for the life of me i cant work it out! I normally work with MS SQL, .Net etc so Access 2010 is a little alien to me!

I have a simple Access 2010 database which i have prepared for the web, run the compatabilty checker and published to Sharepoint 2010. At the end of publish i get a message saying that i havn't set the web start up form.

As a result (i assume) i can't actually view any of the forms on the web. I can download them in access to edit them as a developer but i cant actually do anything useful from a user perspective (like add some data)!

If i open the database in access i can't set a web start up form in the options as the list of forms is empty. Note i have set a start up form for normal access usage and this works just fine.

I have spent several hours googling this and am now completely confused. All the uTube type demos appear to show starting off with a web database, uploading it and bingo the forms just become web forms. When i dig deeper many of the posts suggest you have to create web forms differently from your normal forms - but i dont have an option in access to do this (or dont know how to do this)?

By the way i cant see the logic in checking the forms web compatability if the upload process doesnt turn them into web forms so what am i missing?

How do my users access the database from SharePoint?

How do i get to add a form to the web start up form dop down in the options?

I know this is probably obvious but i clearly spend to much time in Visual Studio to see the obvious!!!

All help apprecaited.

Martyn Fewtrell
martynfewtrell@tncit.co.uk

Verified Answer
  • Hello. I had the same problem  little weeks ago but it was too evident... You must create a web form using the specifics buttons web forms (with the littles globes) in the toolbar. Other forms without globe can only create client forms and cant be visible in the default starting web form option. As far as i know, publishing a database cant convert client forms into web forms as there is many limitations in developping compatible web forms, no vba, only macros etc...

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hi Martyn ,

The web database application must be created as such, and then use only web forms and tools. You can create a client and web application, that share data but the web side needs it own set of interfaces, among other things.

All Replies
  • Hello. I had the same problem  little weeks ago but it was too evident... You must create a web form using the specifics buttons web forms (with the littles globes) in the toolbar. Other forms without globe can only create client forms and cant be visible in the default starting web form option. As far as i know, publishing a database cant convert client forms into web forms as there is many limitations in developping compatible web forms, no vba, only macros etc...

• Thanks for your comments which now make sense!

Looking at it in the fresh lite of day i see that the web forms options doesnt appear until the database is up in the web - it appeared when i opened the database from the web this evening.

I now appear to be up and running.

Martyn Fewtrell

martynfewtrell@tncit.co.uk

• Hi Martyn ,

The web database application must be created as such, and then use only web forms and tools. You can create a client and web application, that share data but the web side needs it own set of interfaces, among other things.