No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Word Web crashes

This question is answered This question is answered

Whenever I try to use WORD I get the following error text:

Word Web App cannot open this document due to an unknown
error. If the problem persists, try opening the file in Microsoft Word.

I would like to use the web version of WORD.

Thanks

Verified Answer
  • Hello

We would need to know a few things about the document itself before properly answering the question.

1. Where is the document located? Is it in a document library of some sort?

2. What type of document is it?

3. If it is a Word document, is the file extension ".docx"?

4. Is the default library setting to open files up in the browser (Library ribbon > Library Settings > Advanced Settings > Opening Documents in the Browser

All Replies
  • How did you create the document, all of mine started in Word 2007 or Word 2010, and have had no problems with any of them. If was done with an older copy of Word, you might try opening in desktop Word, and do save as to save as a newer version.

• Hello

We would need to know a few things about the document itself before properly answering the question.

1. Where is the document located? Is it in a document library of some sort?

2. What type of document is it?

3. If it is a Word document, is the file extension ".docx"?

4. Is the default library setting to open files up in the browser (Library ribbon > Library Settings > Advanced Settings > Opening Documents in the Browser

• I'm getting this inaccurate error (using FF3 or IE8):

Microsoft Online Services requires JavaScript to sign in. This web browser either does not support JavaScript, or scripts are being blocked.
    Obviously js is turned on and not blocked. It seems almost nothing involving authentication works properly which is kind of serious for an online service.