No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Setup of Desktop apps problem

• 14 Followers
  • 31 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

One of my clients has plan E3, He had Office 2007 on his laptop, I upgraded this to 2010 Professional plus 32 bit.

The upgrade went ok, I went to stage 3 to set up and configure office desktop apps.

This gets as far as saying Microsoft online services sign assistant is installed

the rest it says pending restart.

I restart the laptop and they are not installed. I can start it again but I keep going around in circles.

I have all availivle windows and office updates.

The os is xp pro 32 bit.

Can anyone help?

thanks

tony

• Post Points: 80
Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hi Tony,

Thanks for posting here. I understand that you are facing a Desktop app installation issue. I'd like to confirm if you received any error messages during the installation process? If so, please post here for troubleshoot.

Based on the current situation, I'd like to suggest you confirm the OS with latest patches installed and re-run the desktop app again. You can update your OS from the link ( http://www.update.microsoft.com/ )

In addition, you can also try to update and configure desktops for Office 365 manually. To do this, I think the below help article should be useful to you:
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/ff637585.aspx

If there are anything unclear, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
    Allen Qiu
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
    Suggested by
  • I am having exactly the same problem - and it happens to most of our PCs as well.

When I try to manually install the Microsoft online services sign assistant - is actually say it already installed (it give me the option to repair or remove). So I am sure is installed correctly. Just not sure why it keep asking me to restart.

And the Office 365 shortcut doesn't create as well.

Any help on this is appreciated.

Angus

• Not Ranked
  • Me too as well and I can tell you I had to spend hours helping myself and barely making headway.  I firmly believe this has something to do with the later version of the Microsoft Online Sign In Assistant.  My problems have been mostly related to VIsta and 7 but I am building a WinXP box now to test out as well. If I have any version later than 7.250.4287.0 of the MSOIDSVC.EXE service located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Microsoft Online Services\MSOIDSVC.EXE then I see the continual loop.  THose machines that have the version 4287 do not but the latest one (7.250.4303.0) does.  I wish I could get my hand on the install app for 4287 to test out that theory but so far no luck.  This  just start happening to me last week and I am finally seeing posts from others like here of other people experiencing the same problem.  Microsoft has not seen a problem yet but enough of us are beginning to see it.  I am not sure what the conflict is but I am looking.  I would be curious to know what version of Office you are running on your Windows XP boxes?  I just installed the latest version of the sign in assistant (7.250.4303.0) on a Windows XP Pro SP3 workstation with Office 2007 Pro  and it did not loop..... until I ran setup again and now I have the same problem on the XP Box!!!  Except instead of asking me to restart it just finishes.  However if I run the setup again, it's asking to update the sign-in assistant.  I really don't think this client is properly registering itself with the operating system.   have tested this on multiple Office 365 organizations I either have or assist others and multiple OS's and Office Programs BPOS to Office 365 Transitions and first time installs.  Normally if the client and all the updates are fine the setup program just leaves you with a finish button (no updates needed).
    • Not Ranked
  • Hi Angus and NephosMan,

Thanks for posting here. I understand that you are facing a Sign-In Assistant installation issue. Based on the different local environment, the root cause of the issue might be different. I sincerely suggest post it in a new thread in the forum with the detailed situation. If you received any error messages, please provide us for troubleshoot. This is so your question will be answered quickly.

Thanks,
    Allen Qiu

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi Allen

I have not been able to sort the issue.  I re-formatted the laptop and used the factory recovery cd to get it back to a clean version of XP. I got all the updates and service packs and then installed Offfice 2010. The result was the same.

I un-installed the online services sign in and tried again, this did not work.  I installed the online services from the download and this gives me error 1603 when getting downloads/updates.  I then manually installed the updates and it  appears to have installed them ok but when the  laptop reboots it goes to the 365 sign in and startes checking your system configuration and the loop starts.

I also noticed that after I had run the setup and configure office apps and am asked to re-start the pc, clicking on restart wont re start the pc, I have to do this 3 times to get it to reboot, I am sure this is part of the problem,   Its not the pc and this was fine untill I run the app set up

Thanks

Tony

• Not Ranked
  • I'm also having the same issue. All my PC's are up to date with all MS updates.

• Not Ranked
  • We are also having this issue with a new Win7 installs.  Same install loop.  Must be related either to a updated version of sign in assistant or a conflicting windows update.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Tony,

Thanks for getting back. Before moving on, I would like to confirm if you are receiving the error message as "Error 1603: A fatal error occurred during installation." when running Office 365 Desktop Setup.

If this is the case, I noticed that in your case, it might be a permission issue. Please remove the Sign-in Assistant from Add/Remove programs (if it exists) before doing the following troubleshoot process.
    You may refer to the following KB to troubleshoot this issue and see if it helps.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834484

In addition, please add *.micrsoftonline.com to your trusted sites in Internet Explorer (8 or 9). You can also try reducing the security level.
    Here are the steps for you:
    1.Click tools in Internet Explorer.
    2.Click Internet Options.
    3.Click the security tab
    4.Change the security level to a low level.
    5.Click the "green check" Trusted sites.
    6.Click the "sites" button, type: *.microsoftonline.com, and then click add.
    After doing this, try to set up and configure your Office desktop apps by clicking set up from Office 365 Portal--Admin--Downloads page.

Please let me know if it's useful to you.

@jgnguyen1011 @Patrick, I wound to know if you got any error messages during the installation process? Is so, I sincerely suggest post it in a new thread in the forum with the error code and detailed situation. This is so your question will be answered quickly. Thanks for understanding.

Thanks,
    Allen Qiu

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi Allen

thank you for your reply.

Its not true i am receiveng the error message 1603. I only get tghis message when I manually install the the sign in assistant and run downloads. Under normal circumstances the 365 download section says the sign in assistant is installed and the rest are pending restart. After restert I get the same thing again.

I have followed your info in your last post and it did not work. The only difference is that  I can only checng my IE setting to medium not low.

many thanks

Tony

• Not Ranked
  • I have exactly the same issue's as above. I have 2 laptops both with Windows 7, 1 x64, 1 x86 version. On the W7x64 one I have even tried installing MS online Services Sign-in Assistant manually by downloading the x64 version. Then when I run MS Office 365 Desktop Assistant, it still tries to install MS online Services Sign-in Assistant but comes up error 1603. When I uninstall it and run MS Office 365 Desktop Assistant again it says its installing MS online Services Sign-in Assistant reboot required after it installs. Then I end up in this continually loop of rebooting and getting nowhere fast. It's the same on the W7x86 laptops as well. It has to be a MS software problem for ti to be happening on so many different machines with different OS's. I've got no idea of the next step ?

• Not Ranked
  • Hi CPM,

Thanks for your update. To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows Vista or Windows 7 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

please try to perform the installation process under clean boot, please refer to the below link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Please let me know the result.

Thanks,
    Allen Qiu

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi Allen

I am using XP Pro, is it possible to do a clean boot on this OS?

Thanks

Tony

• Not Ranked
  • We are also having the exact same issue as described in this thread.  Is there a fix for this yet?  If this is happening to one or two people then that's fine I will say it's a fluke.  However, when every computer we run this app on show the same symptom you can't help but wonder that the problem is with the app itself.

• Not Ranked
  • Rebooted and attempted as per install instructions, absolutely no difference what so ever.

Kind Regards

Nick R

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1|2|3|