Embedding Excel Web App on Public Website Doesn't Work

This question is answered This question is answered

When the Embed code for the Excel Web App posted here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/embed-an-excel-spreadsheet-on-a-web-page-FX102602478.aspx

is placed on my public web page, it doesn't work. I copied the Embed code and pasted it into an HTML module on my public web page. The table displays, but Filtering doesn't work. The drop-down arrows next to the column headers do not display.

5 out of 5 people found this post helpful.

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • I don't need an answer to this question. I know it doesn't work. Just wanted to post it as a bug. I have submitted to Feedback as a request -- The public website should support MSFT Web Apps.

• Sam,

It is not a bug, the code that is shown is wrong, it shows..

" target="_new" rel="nofollow"><iframe width="400" height="560" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"

src="http://r.office.microsoft.com/r/rlidExcelEmbed?

su=2373508809167264558&Fi=SD20F065AFC1ACDB2E!

528&AllowInteractivity=False&kip=1"></iframe" target="_new" rel="nofollow">>

You need to change the False to True after Allowinteractivity.

so this

AllowInteractivity=False

Should be this

AllowInteractivity=True

I was playing around with this last week, I do hope they will make a way to allow you to embed from spreadsheets in office365, that would be kind of cool.

• Robert Edward,

Thanks for the information. I hadn't taken a close look at the Embed code itself to verify that it was correct (just assumed that the example would be correct).

Not sure about your statement though? In fact, you can embed the spreadsheets. You just can't do it from Office 365. You have to put the spreadsheet into SkyDrive, then you can embed it from there using the code given to you by clicking on the Embed link over on the right. Use the Insert HTML module in the public website.

• Sam,

That is what I saying, I don't like that I can only use a spreadsheet on the Skydrive. Now if you could do that from a spreadsheet that was not public, but in your office365 folder, then you could have a great way of getting current infomation onto your website, while the data stayed protected. Take for example if you had a spread sheet with all your products and prices, or sales charts that you might want the public to see, but not gain access to.

I do hope that the good folks at MS look at this,it would be a great way to add value to the public website.

BTW have you tried an embedded powerpoint slide show, again, that would be a useful addition.

• Robert Edward,

I don't quite understand your statement. The data on the Skydrive spreadsheet is protected. It can be viewed by the public (hence, you can embed it on a public website), but it cannot be edited. The spreadsheet cannot be downloaded, and the location is not easily discerned from the public web page code. So, I'm not sure what your concerns are as they related to "protecting the data".

Embedding a SkyDrive PowerPoint is the same as the spreadsheet. It works very slick and easy. I even like the viewer layout.

• Thanks for the great answer SamSBook!

• Sam,

I wish what you said was true, but it is not. The document can be downloaded, and the entire contents of the folder can be viewed, and any documents can be downloaded by anyone if you put an embedded webapp on a public site.

Let me show you how

Follow this link and look at the neat body mass index calculator it shows

office.microsoft.com/.../embed-an-excel-spreadsheet-on-a-web-page-FX102598267.aspx

Now this is an example of why you want to share with the public, but not the whole sheet.

OK, that is all I want to share, I do not wish the public to know any more than what they see in the calculator.

BUT at the bottom where it says Excel Web App, on the far right click the button for full screen.

Now there is a button to allow the public to download your work. Also notice now that they can see your constants page, which have information you don't want to share.

Now at the top of that same full screen page click on the name of the document https://skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog%20posts/Excel%5E_Embed%5E_BMI%20Calculator.xlsx?cid=20f065afc1acdb2e&sc=documents and as you can see it will take you straight to the Skydrive public folder where now all your documents are visible, and in fact if you look at it, you can even embed any their document in your website now, just click on one, then click embed.

As for my concern about the data, let me give you just one more example, lets say I have a chart with sales for the year, and profit for the year. Many companies make that available, but that is all I want to show, the 3 sheets that it draws on I don't want to share, just like above, you only want the BMI calculator to show. If the sheet were on my Skydrive anyone could as I have shown, download it and get access to all the raw data that was used in the chart, that I don't want them to see.

BTW you had originally said you can protect it even in Skydrive, but you can't, you can only embed from a public folder, and no permissions can be set on them, they are wide open.

• Robert,

Isn't that how it's supposed to work?  If you can set permissions at the folder level, you only put files in that folder that you want to share. The whole point of sharing is that you want people to see your public files, isn't it? Private files you keep in a private folder. Why would it matter if people can download a copy of a file you're displaying on a web site? I get the concern about revealing data on linked sheets, but if that's an issue, paste special values only to another file and display that without the raw data.  

As far as I can tell, Google Docs offers the same options on embedded pdf's (download etc) but doesn't allow anonymous access to other files you share there. It's surprising that MS is more open about shared docs but they're relative newcomers to cloud applications so that may change.

1 out of 2 people found this post helpful.

• mch - You are looking at this issue from one perspective. Yes - if I wanted to post a static spreadsheet of values, then yes, I could just copy and paste those values into an Excel Workbook that I wanted to share in its entirety to the public.

"The whole point of sharing is that you want people to see your public files, isn't it?" NO - that's ONE application.

Consider this: what if I wanted an excel web app/calculator, that anonymous visitors could come to and enter in their data, receive the calculated results, without saving changes to the spreadsheet. And what if I wanted to protect the formulas that the calculations are based off of? Currently, there is NO way to do this with the excel web app. There are ways to simulate security, like removing the download link, but it is NOT secure. Read on.

People argue "just use the java script and hide the download link." This method is NOT secure. It protects your spreadsheet from the masses, true, but anyone who know the smallest amount of javascript can change the view download variable to true and download the spreadsheet. Some say, "Just protect the sheet". Again - anyone who knows a little bit of VBA can gain access to a password-protected spreadsheet. Protecting a workbook is not an option either because Excel Web App does not support protected workbooks. In short, there's a block at every possibility to share parts of an excel spreadsheet publicly while securing the extremely sensitive and proprietary company formulas.

Please consider also, it is dangerous for someone to share a company spreadsheet through the excel web app thinking it's secure...

I hope Microsoft is seeing the picture with this. They can't expect their target market - excel enthusiasts - to just jump on the excel web app until it is SECURE for public sharing. Period! I know they have methods in Office 365 Enterprise with Sharepoint, but this only allows for sharing on your Team Site collection - NOT for public use....

Essentially, Microsoft is forcing all excel users to be Open Source developers with their Excel Web App, when they themselves are a private company with proprietary code.

I hope Microsoft is seeing the picture and the potential on this one. Imagine millions of websites using the excel web app confidently, knowing their formulas are secure? This would do wonders to drive traffic to office 365. The potential here is incredible... Microsoft is so close, but there's a subtle glass wall separating the Excel Web App from true greatness and industrial strength potential.

• Michael,

This thread is 2.5 years old, and was comparing the functionality of the free SkyDrive with the "beta" O365 web apps. You won't get an argument from me about the integration of web apps in public sites because I think it's a mess. Last time I checked the embed functionality had been removed completely and files with "anonymous guest links" couldn't be displayed in iframes.

• There's a demo of the problem with embedding so called anonymous guest links here:

365new.webbrewers.com/.../iframes

• Thanks for your response mchv; the thread is old, you're right. Here's a link to a more updated conversation taking place on this topic:

answers.microsoft.com/.../02f5be4d-c8ea-43f7-8637-5e5a087e540a

The thread was started a couple of years ago, but the conversation is still fresh

• I thought the web apps only supported a very limited set of features so I don't know that the concerns about people downloading files and stealing scripts and so on are valid. I suppose you could position a transparent image over "sensitive" areas of the iframed file to block access to controls or cells. I'm more concerned about the lack of consistency in how embedded files work.