No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Which Outlook Data File Do I Use?

This question is answered This question is answered

I connected to my Office 365 account with Outlook 2010. Now I have two data files: my original pst and the @onmicrosoft.com ost. They have identical file structures, but the @onmicrosoft.com folders are empty, except for a few autogenerated items in the in box.

I don't want to maintain two calendars or two inboxes. Is there a way to consolidate everything, so I can hide (or delete) the other data file?

Also, I want mail to look like it is coming from my personal domain, and to be able to receive mail sent to my personal domain.

Verified Answer
  • Hello JonZo,

As for the first requirement:
    Do you mean that you want to merger two data files (one is PST file and another is OST file for Office 365 account) into one data file?
    If so, you can import PST files to the Office 365 account directly. After that, you can keep only the OST file for the Office 365 account if you don’t need to use the previous mailbox any longer.

For the second requirement:
    Do you want to use email address with custom domain extension, such as user@customdomain.com, to send emails in Office 365?
    If so, you need to own a custom domain and add it to Office 365. After that, create users or editing the existing users with the custom domain name extension, such as user@customdomain.com, to send or receive emails in Office 365.

Thanks,
    Claud

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • Hello JonZo,

As for the first requirement:
    Do you mean that you want to merger two data files (one is PST file and another is OST file for Office 365 account) into one data file?
    If so, you can import PST files to the Office 365 account directly. After that, you can keep only the OST file for the Office 365 account if you don’t need to use the previous mailbox any longer.

For the second requirement:
    Do you want to use email address with custom domain extension, such as user@customdomain.com, to send emails in Office 365?
    If so, you need to own a custom domain and add it to Office 365. After that, create users or editing the existing users with the custom domain name extension, such as user@customdomain.com, to send or receive emails in Office 365.

Thanks,
    Claud

• Thank you Claude.

I did a search for "*.ost" on my computer, and see that it is not on my system. Does this mean that all of my data is stored on the Microsoft server? Should I back it up on my own computer?

When I do the merge, will folders of the same name automatically be merged, or will I have duplicate folders that I will need to manually merge?

Also, when you say "if you don’t need to use the previous mailbox any longer", I wonder why I would want to keep the previous one. I have always used just one mailbox for both business and personal mail. Is there any special reason I would want to keep the old mailbox?

I have the personal mail domain working. Thanks again.

• When you connect to Exchange. an ost is created and all mail on the server dumped into it. To consolidate old and new accounts, import the old pst into the new account. If all looks good then you can delete the old pst file or leave it as a fail safe back up. Some people run these operations in discrete profiles to avoid any confusion.

You may not see the ost file when you search because it's a hidden file. File>>Open>>data file will show you where it is or File>>Account settings>>data files..

• I got everything imported. Now I am wondering about my archive folder. Should I import that too, or does it stay on my computer as a pst?
  • File>>Open>>Import. (And you're expected to know "export" is under import too!)
  • Thanks, I got it after I re-read the message. But I am still wondering about the Archive folder.

• I assume you mean your desktop Outlook archive not the 365 personal archive...if it's a separate pst you will have to import it to access it I think. If not it should have already been imported.
  • Hello JonZo,

How are the things going?
    In addition, do you need further assistance on the issue?

Best regards,
    Claud

• Everything seems to be working fine. The only question I have left is about backing up my Outlook file on my computer, and archiving old email. What is the best practice?

• Hello Jonzo,

Thanks for your feedback. I’m very glad to hear that everything is working properly.

As for the archive issue:
    If the emails archived are not very important and don’t need to search the information among them, you don’t need to import them into the Office 365 account.
    If you still need to access them often, you may need to import them into the Office 365 account.

In addition, if you need further assistance about archive, I sincerely suggest post it in a new thread in the forum. This is so your question will be answered quickly.

Thanks for understanding,
    Claud