No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Error opening Excel files

• This post has 2 Replies |
  • 2 Followers
  • ON opeinign an Excel file on 365 sharepoint site I get warning file cannot be opened int eh web app as it has validation etc.

it attempts to open in Excel and errors:

To open this workbook, your computer must have a version of Microsoft Excel
    installed and your Web browser must support opening files directly from Excel in
    the browser

This has worked for ages and appears just to have stopped.....any ideas.

Ist 2012 installed form office 365. New re-sinatll of Win7.

Regards

Julian

• Hi jules99-2,

This is Jonis from Microsoft Online SharePoint Support.

It sounds like there was an issue with your Windows 7 Operating System (OS), that forced an OS rebuild. If you reinstalled Office Professional Plus for Office 365, as part of your Windows OS rebuild, it is possible that the Office installation is corrupt. I would attempt to repair or re-install Microsoft Office Professional Plus on that computer.

For Office Professional Plus for Office 365 installations, the following article details step by step troubleshooting and a section titled Repair Office installation and services.  To review the article click on the following link General troubleshooting in Office Professional Plus for Office 365.

I also recommend that you verify the machine has the latest updates applied by clicking on the link to the Update Center for Microsoft Office, Office Servers, and Related Products.

It is also recommended that you install the latest updates and configure your computers for use with Office 365.  The following links and instructions detail that process.

Microsoft Office 365 for Professionals and Small Business

Microsoft Office 365 for Enterprises

If that does not answer your question please let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread for a few days and will reply to any additional posts or questions.

Jonis Estrem

Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Unable opening excel file says about file corruption. In that case I would suggest you to make use next source http://www.excel.fixtoolbox.com  

application helps you opening excel file any version of MS Excel starting version of 95 year.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)