No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Removing an older Office version

This question is answered This question is answered

I'm trying to install Office Professional Plus 2010 on a Windows XP PC.

Before to start download and setup I unistalled Office Professional 2003 and restarted the PC.

When I try to install Office Professional Plus 2010 I get the following message:

---------------------------
Setup Errors
An Office 2003 installation on your computer is corrupted and setup cannot continue.  Remove or repair the Office 2003 product and re-run setup.
OK   Help  

In Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs the Office 2003 item doesn't appear any more.

What could I do?

Verified Answer
  • Evan.

I couldn't try your solution because before I tried with Microsoft Fix it 50416 and it worked.

In any case thanks very much for your help,

Otir

All Replies
  • Hi Otir,

I understand when installing Office Professional Plus 2010, the error occurred.

Generally, during the installation process, Office Professional Plus will uninstall any previous version of Office by default.

In terms of your situation, to troubleshoot this issue, I suggest you do the following steps:

1), Please confirm your computer meets the software requirement for Office 365.

2), Please confirm you have uninstalled all the previous version of Office products.
    To do this, you can refer to How to uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if you cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?

After doing so, please try to install Office Professional Plus again.

3), If the error still persists, please try to perform an clean boot and then re-run the installation.
    To do this, you can refer to How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state

For more references, please refer to the following articles:
    Installing and Deploying Office Professional Plus
    Office Professional Plus for Office 365 Overview

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post back.

Thanks,
    Evan Zhang

• Hi, In Registry modify the following;

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office

To:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\xOffice

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\xOffice

See community.office365.com/.../34630.aspx

• Evan.

I couldn't try your solution because before I tried with Microsoft Fix it 50416 and it worked.

Otir

• Liz,

Otir

• Hi Otir,

I'm glad to hear that this issue has been resolved. In addition, thanks for sharing your method in the forum, I believe others will benefit from this information.

Best Regards,

Evan Zhang