No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Relevan Document Web Part

This question is answered This question is answered

I cannot get the relevant document web part to work.  I receive the following error.

I have gone through every library and increased the mobile limits and the view limits to 99, and I set the maximum number of documents under the Edit Web Part > Data menu to 4,000.  I only have 1 document checked out.  All I am trying to do is display the documents a user has checked out.

Thanks,

Jeb

Verified Answer
  • Hi Rusty1,

This is Jonis from Microsoft Online SharePoint Support.

SharePoint Online for Office 365 is built on SQL.  When SQL encounters a list, library, calendar, contact, or task that is over the 5,000 item list threshold, instead of locking individual rows, SQL locks the whole library or list.  This is an inherent feature that cannot be disabled or adjusted in SharePoint Online. 

Since this is happening to you, I would first recommend that you verify a 5,000 item list is not in the recycle bin.  In order to work with the data, I recommend that you use filters and views.  You can filter a view with column indexes. 

Like Phil Miller stated, to get the library under the 5,000 item threshold, you will have to manually move or delete the items.  Views, styles, and page limits will speed up the display of the data on the page.  The following links support the topics covered above:

Manage lists and libraries with many items

Manage large SharePoint lists for better performance

If that does not solve your question please let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread for any additional posts or questions.

All Replies
  • We have the same problem, rusty1. It is not a setting you have control over. Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, has set a limit of 5,000 files for searches (or views or something). You only find out about this if you do a web search for the error message. When you get to this magical 5,000 files in a site the error message appears, and a useful tool becomes useless.

We have worked around this by creating an Archive site, whiche we can move old files to from our "working" sites. Not an ideal situation, but it works.

• Hi Rusty1,

This is Jonis from Microsoft Online SharePoint Support.

SharePoint Online for Office 365 is built on SQL.  When SQL encounters a list, library, calendar, contact, or task that is over the 5,000 item list threshold, instead of locking individual rows, SQL locks the whole library or list.  This is an inherent feature that cannot be disabled or adjusted in SharePoint Online. 

Since this is happening to you, I would first recommend that you verify a 5,000 item list is not in the recycle bin.  In order to work with the data, I recommend that you use filters and views.  You can filter a view with column indexes. 

Like Phil Miller stated, to get the library under the 5,000 item threshold, you will have to manually move or delete the items.  Views, styles, and page limits will speed up the display of the data on the page.  The following links support the topics covered above:

Manage lists and libraries with many items

Manage large SharePoint lists for better performance

If that does not solve your question please let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread for any additional posts or questions.

• The recycle bin is empty.  The site contains document libraries with approximately 9,000 documents.  The business already utilizes an archive site for non-current documents.  The real issues are 1) the employees do not know what documents they have checked out and need to be able to see everything that is checked out in order to check it in; and 2) one employee was recently let go and the owner wants to know how to retrieve documents the user had checked out before leaving.  Please let me know how to best accomplish these two tasks.  Thank you,

Jeb