No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Domain Verification and DNS records

• 3 Followers
  • 8 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Hi,

I am having problems to verify that I am the owner of my domain. The registrar is IXwebhosting, but i used to manage the site at Office Live Small Business.

I followed all the instructions given by Microsoft.  My registrar does not change DNS records, they said to contact my DNS service provider.  According to Whois this would be MarkMonitors, whom I have contacted but they said they don't host anything for my domain.

So my problem is I don't know where to change my DNS records for Microsoft 365 to be able to verify that I am the domain owner.

Please help me with this. Thank you.

• Post Points: 35
Verified Answer
  • Hi Adaeddin,

I have checked your domain from this site:www.internic.com/whois.html.
    Whois result:
    Domain Name: SOFTROID.COM
    Registrar: TUCOWS.COM CO.
    Whois Server: whois.tucows.com
    Referral URL: http://domainhelp.opensrs.net/
    Name Server: NS1.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
    Name Server: NS2.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
    Updated Date: 04-may-2012
    Creation Date: 17-aug-2008
    Expiration Date: 17-aug-2012
    ====================
    Server Name: NS1.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
    IP Address: 98.130.253.162
    =============================
    So, if you want to add MX and TXT record, please contact your domain provider. Office 365 provide these records for domain verify, but you have to add them at your domain register.

Thanks,
    Robert Li

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hi Alaeddin,

I understand that you don’t know who is your domain register, and you want to find it so that you can start your domain verify process.
    If so, please refer to this link:
    Domain Name Registration and DNS Hosting Services:
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/cc188658.aspx

Thanks,
    Robert Li

• Top 150 Contributor
  • Hi Robert Li,

Thank you for your reply.  However, I have already done all the steps that are listed on that help page.

My problem is that the result that I get with internic - whois in order to find my DNS registrar is not correct.  I contacted the registrar that internic - whois shows me and they said they do not host anything for my domain.  And my domain name registrar does not host DNS records.  Both companies have told me to contact Microsoft.  I don't know where to change my DNS records cause I cannot find who hosts them.  Therefore MS365 cannot verify my domain.

My domain is softroid.com.  It says below in the whois results that my registrar is tucows.com, although my domain name registrar is ixwebhost, whom I have spoken to and they host my domain name but not my DNS records.

Referral URL: http://domainhelp.opensrs.net

Name Server: NS1.BDM.MICROSOFTONLINE.COM

Name Server: NS2.BDM.MICROSOFTONLINE.COM

Updated Date: 26-apr-2012

>>> Last update of whois database: Thu, 03 May 2012 13:11:05 UTC <<<

Below it says int eh whois results that my DNS records holder is MarkMonitors, I have contacted them and they say that they do not hold any records for my domain.

Server Name: NS1.BDM.MICROSOFTONLINE.COM

IP Address: 65.55.171.195

Registrar: MARKMONITOR INC.

Whois Server: whois.markmonitor.com

Referral URL: http://www.markmonitor.com

>>> Last update of whois database: Thu, 03 May 2012 13:12:51 UTC <<<

Please help me. Thank you.

• Not Ranked
  • I just contacted the registrar of my domain name again. That is ecommerce IXwebhosting and they said to me again that they just register my domain name but do not host it and therefore cannot change any DNS txt or mx records for me.

MarkMonitors, as mentioned above in the WHOIS search result told me they do not host my domain.

All these people have suggested I contact Microsoft because the name servers point to Microsoft and because it is Microsoft who needs to verify my domain name.

I used to use Office Live Small Business to host my domain name and then tried to switch to the Microsoft 365 following all the instructions posted by MS and now my site is down and I am not receiving emails because I cannot verify the domain name because I cannot find my host of DNS records.

Thank you for your help.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Adaeddin,

I have checked your domain from this site:www.internic.com/whois.html.
    Whois result:
    Name Server: NS1.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
    Name Server: NS2.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
    Updated Date: 04-may-2012
    ====================
    Server Name: NS1.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
    IP Address: 98.130.253.162
    =============================
    So, if you want to add MX and TXT record, please contact your domain provider. Office 365 provide these records for domain verify, but you have to add them at your domain register.

Thanks,
    Robert Li

• Top 150 Contributor
  • Hi Alaeddin,

I want to check if your issue has been resolved.
    If you need further assistance, please feel free to reply to me.

Thanks,
    Robert Li

• Top 150 Contributor
  • You were asking the wrong question of your registrar: they can't add records until you move nameserver control there from OL. It looks like you've now done that so you should be able to verify.
    webbrewers | Easy to use sites | Low/no cost hosting
    • Top 10 Contributor
  • Hi Robert,

Thank you for your support.  Basically what I did was register my domain with another registrar that allows me to register domain and manage DNS without having to buy a whole hosting service.  I am just waiting for the transfer to be completed and then i will manage my DNS there and then I will hopefully be able to verify my domain with Microsoft and use the new service.

Thanks

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Alaeddin,

Thanks for your reply.

If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,

Robert Li

• Top 150 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)