No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Unable to sign in (portal.microsoftonline.com is blank in ie8)

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

I have xp-sp3 + ie8.

portal.microsoftonline.com is blank in ie8, but can sign in with Chrome--don't get it?

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • Hi Robert,

I understand you have an issue using Internet Explorer 8 on Windows XP with Office 365.

Please follow the article below to reset Internet Explorer settings, disable add-ons, and other troubleshooting steps.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/Reset-Internet-Explorer-8-settings
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/internet-explorer/slow-five-tips-to-boost-performance

After all above is done, please log into Microsoft Online Portal (MOP). On the Home page, Click Download on the right navigation bar.

Run Set up and configure your Office desktop apps to configure your computer to use Office 365.

Thanks,
    Ray Yang

• Already tried "reset". Doesn't do a thing.

• Hi Robert,

I understand you reset your IE. Did you try to disable add-ons and run the Office desktop apps?

Did you mean you encounter this issue when your try to Microsoft Online Portal? You can’t see the Log In Page.

Can you try to run your IE in InPrivate Browsing Mode? From the Safety menu, choose “InPrivate Browsing.”

If the issue still persists, please post a screen shoot.

Thanks,
    Ray Yang

• Yes, disabled add-ons, etc.

Just tried InPrivate--didn't do a thing.

I don't know how to post a screen shot, but the screen is completely blank (no error message). Just days "done" in the lower left  corner.

Strange...

• Hi Robert,

If you enter http://portal.microsoftonline.com/ into the address bar of Internet Explorer (IE), the page won’t display and it’s a blank page. If I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

Can you try to log into Microsoft Online Portal in another computer using IE?

Thanks,
    Ray Yang

• Your assumptions are correct.

Change as of today: Google Chrome suddenly (same address) allows me to login, but ie8 still does not.

The only thing i did in between was to defrag hard drive.

I tried ie9 win7 on friends computer and i can log in.

• Hi Robert,

IE 8 is a supported version in Office 365. Have you run the desktop process advised by Ray in the first reply? There are some important configuration in the set up process. Meanwhile, I suggest you update your OS to see if there is any available updates about IE, and then test it again.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• All of this has already been tried, multiple times.

• Hi Robert,

It's really strange. Please check if there is any proxy settings in your IE Browser. If so, please remove the settings. You can also troubleshoot the issue by disabling all the add-ons in IE.

Moreover, accessing Office 365 from portal.microsoftonline.com need a HTTP redirect. Maybe there are some anti-virus, firewall, or group policy blocked the redirection. You may disable all the anti-virus, firewall settings, and try to login the computer with a none domain account to see if it works.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• [Win XP, ie8]

--no proxy settings

--disabled ALL add-ons

--turned off ALL anti-virus & firewall settings

--restarted ie8

--same result

--Google Chrome works

--what's wrong with ie8?

• Hi Robert,

Can you try the following steps?

1.Create a new user account of Windows XP and log in with the new account. Please refer to this article to create new account.

support.microsoft.com/.../279783

2.Configure Windows XP to start in a “clean boot” and try to access Office 365 website. Please refer to this KB.

support.microsoft.com/.../310353

3.If the issue still persists, you can try to reboot the computer and enter into safe mode with networking. Please follow this KB

support.microsoft.com/.../316434

4.You try to reinstall IE. Please refer to the steps of this article.

support.microsoft.com/.../318378

If all above steps still can’t help to solve this issue, I suggest you to check the computer. This issue is caused by client

Thanks,

Ray Yang

• Can I just uninstall ie8 and re-install ie7?

• Hi Robert,

It's ok to uninstall the current version and reinstall IE. You can reinstall IE8 to check the issue.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Is there a link for how to uninstall ie8/re-install ie7, please?

• you can refer to this link

www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-uninstall-windows-internet-explorer-8-ie8-in-vista