No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

550 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable (state 14).

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)
I have an email set up through gmail and one through office 365. When sending from g mail to office 365 I receive the following message, "550 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable (state 14)." My email has been working fine until today. I have looked through various forums and can't find a solution. Can someone solve my problem or point me in the right direction. Cheers
All Replies
  • Hi Nathan,

I understand that the non-delivery report (NDR) "550 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable (state 14)." occurred when sending email from Gmail to Office 365.

Please connect to Exchange Online through PowerShell and run the following cmdlet:

Set-AcceptedDomain simonwong.com.hk -OutboundOnly $true

Set-AcceptedDomain simonwong.com.hk -OutboundOnly $false

Please wait 1 hour or so and send a test message again.

If the issue persists, please post a full NDR for further research.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• I started receiving this error yesterday as well. Everything had worked totally fine until yesterday.

• getting the same today (started yesterday)

Technical details of permanent failure:

Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable (state 14).

• Hi Christian,

To better troubleshoot the issue, would you please provide the whole NDR information as Monica advised? Moreover, you can do the following steps to collect more information:

1. Send email to your Office 365 account from another external account to see if it works.

2. Test the inbound mail flow of your Office 365 account with the online test tool:

https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Hi,

Tried 4 hours ago

Set-AcceptedDomain simonwong.com.hk -OutboundOnly $true

Set-AcceptedDomain simonwong.com.hk -OutboundOnly $false

and afterwards

Tried www.testexchangeconnectivity.com worked fine.

Message information:

MX Host satyricon-at.mail.eo.outlook.com

E-Mail Address me@satyricon.at

One test message will be sent using each MX record registered for the e-mail domain satyricon.at.

both didn't help

still getting NDR from gmail

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

me@satyricon.at

Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable (state 14).

----- Original message -----

X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;

d=google.com; s=20120113;

h=thread-index:thread-topic:from:to:subject:date:message-id

:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:x-mailer

:content-class:importance:priority:x-mimeole:x-gm-message-state;

bh=u3cUCOfM/y4FJYNpyG1uhpx9oNer+swfNlMqwFQklSU=;

b=kN2Rl8yiLqVT1vwYmDhRBP6h6c5vnTl1HPVsxy873FN9T7mXXQQZRpSL0vn5s4uTRH

qcmSYlO8t3s3GVFKctd/BQEEEnycT1+LqsuoUsR3YMOOVgN8RddnMNmmpvkkMK+mrqkv

rgscnT/f9fBF0c++HhksZNJQ4aopge5RkYFVztkY26PvJKEJ3GDGJRiQqD3oF412nZag

yEZDjSifDjr3vC7a1pS4tKpk4pVFreffo/Ro/Zzhd3E4Rb9p0M9Ejb9Yv+AFJsbfPESp

EN3iyKBFlZbPzDgV6hEHlp0AnE7jakzgyrCJB2eqh/b0d7tDWG12looI9J2/DA0k6zaL

BytQ==

Received: by 10.50.173.102 with SMTP id bj6mr7914214igc.45.1335701209917;

Sun, 29 Apr 2012 05:06:49 -0700 (PDT)

Return-Path: <admin@propicks.info>

Received: from ULTIMAHOB07466 ([83.222.239.166])

by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id cw5sm10484082igc.17.2012.04.29.05.06.48

(version=SSLv3 cipher=OTHER);

Sun, 29 Apr 2012 05:06:49 -0700 (PDT)

thread-index: Ac0mAQFrXbx3AHBKSpeJafyWCMMtaw==

Thread-Topic: tipster_watch

To: <me@satyricon.at>

Subject: tipster_watch

Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 13:10:03 +0100

Message-ID: <988C479D4C2E44689FFF28E85B6ED2AE@ULTIMAHOB07466>

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain;

charset="utf-8"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

X-Mailer: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000

Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message

Importance: normal

Priority: normal

X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.4913

X-Gm-Message-State: ALoCoQnAiGopfnMLRT0e6fMgacCK0AF/NSPThgr5P/BhPoMv7k/dlvHAuE7nT/nCHOOeeHzFHypa

mail contend was here

• Ive been told by 3 people this weekend they've experienced this error when trying to email me.

In one particular case, we had been emailing back and forth, and I requested that she fwd me an associate's email. When she tried to fwd she got the error. She was able to write me back and tell me it didn't go through, and I received that successfully. She is NOT on gmail, but sending from her works corporate Exchange server. Here was her error text:

Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists:

mike@kmgmt.com

A communication failure occurred during the delivery of this message. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: BAY0-PAMC2-F3.Bay0.hotmail.com

mike@kmgmt.com
    #< #5.5.0 smtp;550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable (-949396564:3735:-2147467259)> #SMTP#

• Another user just reported an undeliverable request. Here is the entirety of the error log:

On 4/29/12 9:53 AM, "postmaster@hotmail.com" <postmaster@hotmail.com>

wrote:

>This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

>

>Delivery to the following recipients failed.

>

>       Mike@kmgmt.com

• Blacklist?

I've seen this error today for email sent from a domain hosted at Xtra (MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mta.xtra.co.nz) to a Customer on a P1 plan.  The problem in our case is grey/blacklisting - sufficient spam left an Xtra host that it became grey or blacklisted at hosts including Yahoo and MS/Hotmail.

This came back from the Xtra mta:

Final-Recipient: RFC822; <(Office 365 P1 plan user)>

Action: failed

Remote-MTA: dns; pamx1.hotmail.com (65.54.188.78)

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

Xtra confirmed that the MS/Hotmail server pamx1.hotmail.com has had them blacklisted in the last week and some pockets of resistance remain.  Mail between the same sender/recipient could go through or fail depending on actual hosts en route.

• I just noticed today that sending an email from my gmail account to one of our users also generates this error:

I can get emails from other domains and interestingly other other gmail users. 

I also run an inbound test from  https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/ and it's successful.

Then I checked my mx and discovered mx record was for some reason set to:  pamx1.hotmail.com. 

Then it seems like it was corrected to the correct mx record and now I'm getting emails from gmail but I haven't received all the past emails that was sent while the mx record was incorrectly set.  I don't have control over the mx record as it is set by office 365 automatically.

I'm suppose the reason  I was getting emails from other domains was that the mx record that was incorrect wasn't propagated yet to the domains that I was receiving emails from?

I'm guessing office 365 messed up the mx record pointing it to pamx1.hotmail.com that was causing the gmail bounce.

Can I expect the the emails that were bounced to still get to my office 365?

• We are experiencing this issue as well but not just from gmail.  Sending from other corporate servers, including in house Exchange servers wtih same results.

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you have sent could not be delivered to one or more recipients.  This is a permanent error.  The following address failed:

<email address removed for privacy reasons>: 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

• We are having the same issue today.

Using the Remote Connectivity Analyzer, it's failing with the following error.

Attempting to send a test e-mail message to *****@*****.com using MX pamx1.hotmail.com.

Delivery of the test message failed.

Additional Details

The server returned status code 550 - Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

Exception details:

Message: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

Type: System.Net.Mail.SmtpFailedRecipientException

Stack trace:

at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.SendMail(MailAddress sender, MailAddressCollection recipients, String deliveryNotify, SmtpFailedRecipientException& exception)

at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Tests.SmtpMessageTest.PerformTestReally()

• Looks like it's an intermittent issue.  It was okay for a hour or so, and now I'm having issues again.

• Same problem.

I tested using www.testexchangeconnectivity.com and it reported that my MX record was set to pamx1.hotmail.com.

But I checked my Office 365 settings and they were showing my correct MX settings clickontoit-com.mail.eo.outlook.com

I re-tested and it reported that my MX record was now set to clickontoit-com.mail.eo.outlook.com

I didn't (and couldn't) change anything in Office 365, so this has fixed itself.

But I'm still getting bounced back emails when using Gmail to send to this account, so I assume it will take time while the MX records are propagated.

WHAT CAUSED THIS ?  Why was the MX set to pamx1.hotmail.com ??!!

• Got the same problem from diffrent email accounts thats sending mail to my office 365

it wasnt a problem in friday but started yesterday

• Hi,

Thanks for all the feedbacks. Apologize for the inconvenience. The issue sounds to be a temporary network issue, and we have passed the error message to our operation team for further investigation. Please check if the service in your side has been restored now.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu