No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Office 2010 install fails

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi,

We are using Office 365 with Office 2007 and would like to upgrade to the Office 2010 Pro but the install fails on all of our machines. It goes through the whole install process and then at the end a message pops up that the install failed and no other information.

We are installing on XP SP3 machines that have had Office 2003 on them previously. Can you advise what we need to do to get the product installed?

Thanks

Verified Answer
  • Hi Surya,

Thanks for your reply.

Hi justdave,

I understand you have issue upgrading Office 2010 Professional from Office 2007 on Windows SP3 computers. If I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

You can refer to following KB to remove Office 2007 from computer.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218

If you are using Office Professional Plus for Office 365, you can download from Microsoft Online Portal. Please install again after the downloading finished. If you install from other sources, you can install Office 2010 Professional again.

If the issue persists, please capture the error message and post the detailed information with the screen shot.

You can also find more information through this link
    http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/172/t/10404.aspx

Thanks,
    Ray Yang

• Hi Dave,

You could try to install Office 2010 Professional without the domain environment. If there is any update, please post to this thread.

You can also try to update your Windows XP and install all the necessary Hotfix. Then install Office 2010 Professional with Domain Administrator account.

If the issue still persists, you can go to event viewer to check the detailed event log .Please post the error message and screenshot of the installation failed dialog box.

Thanks,

Ray Yang

• Hi Dave,

I am glad to hear you can install Office 2010 in your company environment. You can try to install Office 2010 after quitting domain.

If the issue still persists, please post the scent shoots of the error message and the log in the event viewer.

You can also find additional help through this link.

community.office365.com/.../10404.aspx

In addition, if you have any other question about using Office 365 in the future, please feel free to post it in a new post in the forum. This is so your question will be answered quickly.

Thanks,

Ray Yang

All Replies
  • Hi JustDave,

Please refer to this knowledge base for the issue with installing office 2010 in XP SP3 OS:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2267642

Refer to this technet fourm also:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officesetupdeploy/thread/ee955cfe-37d5-4cd6-8dff-f6c2e9c17cc3/

Please post back here if you have any issues after the troubleshooting.

Thanks and Regards,

Surya Begum.

• Hi Surya,

Thanks for your reply.

Hi justdave,

I understand you have issue upgrading Office 2010 Professional from Office 2007 on Windows SP3 computers. If I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

You can refer to following KB to remove Office 2007 from computer.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218

If you are using Office Professional Plus for Office 365, you can download from Microsoft Online Portal. Please install again after the downloading finished. If you install from other sources, you can install Office 2010 Professional again.

If the issue persists, please capture the error message and post the detailed information with the screen shot.

You can also find more information through this link
    http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/172/t/10404.aspx

Thanks,
    Ray Yang

• Hi justdave,

How are things going?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,

Ray Yang

• Hi Ray,

Thanks for the suggestions. We followed the removal instructions and got the same error message at the end of the Office 2010 installation. "The installation failed." We have tried this on numerous desktops now and always get the same message. Is it possible that a setting on the server is the culprit? I am thinking I will try reinstalling XP on one computer and see if 2010 will install before I join it to the domain. That would be a painful process though for 25 computers.

• Hi Dave,

You could try to install Office 2010 Professional without the domain environment. If there is any update, please post to this thread.

You can also try to update your Windows XP and install all the necessary Hotfix. Then install Office 2010 Professional with Domain Administrator account.

If the issue still persists, you can go to event viewer to check the detailed event log .Please post the error message and screenshot of the installation failed dialog box.

Thanks,

Ray Yang

• Thanks Ray. The Office 2010 install worked as it should on a clean XP3 machine without the domain. I will try another clean install with the domain environment next. I will also get a screen shot if it fails again.

Dave

• Hi Dave,

I am glad to hear you can install Office 2010 in your company environment. You can try to install Office 2010 after quitting domain.

If the issue still persists, please post the scent shoots of the error message and the log in the event viewer.

You can also find additional help through this link.

community.office365.com/.../10404.aspx

In addition, if you have any other question about using Office 365 in the future, please feel free to post it in a new post in the forum. This is so your question will be answered quickly.

Thanks,

Ray Yang

• Hi Dave,

How are things going?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,

Ray Yang