No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

transition from OLSB to Office 365 Transfering emails and contacts

• 4 Followers
  • 17 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered
I am making self transition from OLSB to Office 365

I have created an office 365 account

Then I seem to have missed the step 3 of the guide, i.e.moving all emails and
contacts

I carried out step 4, moved the content of my old site to Office365. ( I have
not yet transfered my existing domain name
, I understand I have to carry out
this step last.)

I do not have a copy of Outlook installed on my P.C, but wanted to use the
Outlook Apps within Office 365.

How can I proceed to transfer my email and contacts from OLSB.

I cannot find a link to transfer emails.

I have found a link to transfer my contacts and have saved contacts to a csv
file on my PC. Have tried to transfer but get error message, I have over a 1000
contacts therefore I understand I will need to split them into smaller batches
to transfer them sucessfully. I have tried transfererring small batches but still get the error messages

Will I need to purchase Microsoft Outlook ( Office 2012) to complete the contacts transfer

Many thanks

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hello Aeolian6588,

Thank you for your post.

Yes, to move emails/contacts/calendar from OLSB to Office 365, you should follow instructions in self-transition-guide to move these data with Outlook client. Currently, we can't export/import .pst file when accessing mailbox via OWA.

For this situation, to help you move items in users' mailbox to Office 365, please try following steps.

1. Logon to Microsoft Online Portal (MOP) at https://portal.microsoftonline.com with a Global Administrator.

2. Click "Admin -> Purchase -> Other plans -> Office Professional Plus Trial" and select trial to subscribe the trial license of Office Pro Plus.

3. Click Admin -> User, click on the box of the users name of Global Administrator account, Click on License and check the box "Office Professional Plus".

4. Click Admin -> Downloads to download and install the Office Pro Plus on client computer.

5. Run the "Set up and configure your Office desktop apps" on client computer by clicking Download in MOP.

6. Follow the article below to configure the Outlook 2010 to connect to Exchange Online.

Set Up E-Mail in Outlook 2010
        http://help.outlook.com/en-US/beta/dd253202.aspx

7. Follow steps in self-transition-guide to move all email, contacts, and calendars to Office 365.

Reference
    ===========
    Office Live Small Business Transition
    http://community.office365.com/en-us/w/administration/office-live-small-business-transition.aspx

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hello Jack

Thank you for the information.

I have downloaded Office Professional Plus Trial.

It is fine and up and working on my PC.

I have tried to set up my Office 365 desktop, opened Downloads under Resources but there is no link to instal Microsoft Office Professional Plus

Only to link in view are 1) Instal Microsoft Lync and 2) Set up & Configure Office Apps.

How do I get Office 365 to recognise Office Professional Plus  

Many thanks for your help, I have three web sites to move over from OLSB and I am getting short of time before deadline date.

Regards

Edward Baylis

Hello Jack

I previously mentioned , I have downloaded Office Professional Plus. My PC hard drive indicated all the Ikons ( ie Word Excel etc) but i cannot find an Ikon for Outlook. Therefore when I try to link my Web App to Outlook I receive a message No copy of Outlook found. Any ideas? I am begining to panic, I have three web site sto move over from OLSB before the deadline date 30th April and cannot afford to lose my emails and contacts

Regards

Edward

Regards

Edward Baylis

• Not Ranked
  • Hi aeolian6588,

Do you mean you have 3 facing web site need to move from OLSB to Office365 ? If so, you need to create 3 Office365 tenant.  I'd recommend you can create a new thread, our SEs are willing to help.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
  • Hello

I have three independant OLSB web sites. I have signed for 3 new Office 365 web sites and need to transfer urgently my emails and contacts before the 30th April.

I do not have Outlook on my PC, therefore It was suggested that I download a 60 day free trial of Office 2010 Professional that included Outlook

I have downloaded the software but can not see an Icon indicating Outlook

I have tried the following three options to conect to Outlook.

Download Outlook Hotmail Connector but download failed, message (cannot find information and that I require Outlook on my PC.

Attempted to link Outlook to my Office 365 outlook web app.Failed. Message ( No Resources Found)

Tried to set up and configure Office Desk top Apps,Failed.Message ( A compatable version of Microsft Outlook could not be found)  

I need to resolve this issue quickly otherwise I will lose over 1000 contacts and email history

Many thanks

Edward Baylis    

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Edward,

As an OLSB customer you get a 6-month free trial of Office 365 for professionals and small businesses and Office Professional Plus. Please download Office Professional Plus and install it on your computer to troubleshoot the issue. For the detailed information, see Get your free trial of Office 365.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Top 10 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • Hello Aeolian6588,

Did the above replies answer your questions? Can you move the data of your domain from OLSB to Office 365 successfully now? Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi

I now have Officie Professional installed on my PC. Have tried to move my emails and contacts using add account and tried the wizard via Outlook also tried Outlook Hotmail Connector.

All failed with message "your email server in not available" have tried encrypted and un-encrypted options.Had the option to set up POP 3 account manually but I am not sure of the OLSB setting.

Can you confirm if I am jumping the gun.

I have not carried out steps 5-6 & 7 of the guide, i.e. removed my domain from OLSB, created an account at Melbourne IT, Activate DNS and add my domain to Office 365

Should I carry this out before moving my emails and contacts.

My three new web sites are now up and running, just need to transfer my three existing Melbourne IT domain names and set up emails

Thank you

• Not Ranked
  • Hi

I now have Officie Professional installed on my PC. Have tried to move my emails and contacts using add account and tried the wizard via Outlook also tried Outlook Hotmail Connector.

All failed with message "your email server in not available" have tried encrypted and un-encrypted options.Had the option to set up POP 3 account manually but I am not sure of the OLSB setting.

Can you confirm if I am jumping the gun.

I have not carried out steps 5-6 & 7 of the guide, i.e. removed my domain from OLSB, created an account at Melbourne IT, Activate DNS and add my domain to Office 365

Should I carry this out before moving my emails and contacts.

My three new web sites are now up and running, just need to transfer my three existing Melbourne IT domain names and set up emails

Thank you

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Aeolian6588,

Do you mean that you failed to connect Outlook client to Office 365 and got error "your email server in not available"?

To help you to move emails from OLSB to Office 365 successfully, please refer to steps below.

1. Run the "Set up and configure your Office desktop apps" on client computer by clicking Download in MOP at https://portal.microsoftonline.com.

2. Create a new outlook profile by clicking Control Panel -> Mail -> Show Profiles -> "Add".

3. Follow the article below to add your Office 365 mailbox into the Outlook 2010.

Set Up E-Mail in Outlook 2010
        http://help.outlook.com/en-US/beta/dd253202.aspx

Note: you can also configure the Outlook manually following KB2404385

4. Add your OLSB account into Outlook 2010 as well.

5. Refer to steps 5-6 & 7 in self-transition guide to move your emails from OLSB to Office 365.

Note: Please follow the steps in the guide in order to minimize the chance of losing data.

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hello Aeolian6588,

Just checking to see if you have move your emails to Office 365 successfully. If you need additional assistance on this problem, please let us know. Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hello, I have tried again this morning to verify without sucess

Message received

We couldn't verify pianola-rolls.com. Make sure that the verification DNS record that you created at your domain registrar is correct, and that you've waited at least 72 hours after you added the record.

I set up TXT records on the 26th April

I have transfer three separate business websites from OLSB to Office 365, all are now on stop, now emails coming in therefore no business or income. This is a turning out to be a disaster.

I need urgently to transfer my domain names and recover my emails on the three sites before I lose my data on 30th April

Edward Baylis

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Aeolian6588,

Thank you for your update.

I have queried your domain (pianola-rolls.com) with nslookup command, and noticed that there are 3 TXT records with different value for your domain on dns server. To make sure TXT dns record with correct value is added on dns server, I suggest you to remove all existing TXT records on dns server and re-add it. After that, go back to Office 365 and verify your domain again. For your convenience, I would like to summarize these steps as follows for your reference.

1. Remove the existing TXT record on dns server.

2. Create a new TXT record following the actual steps in domain verify wizard.

3. Waiting for some hours to allow changes to take effect and propagate through the DNS system.

If the issue persists, please post back the following information for further troubleshooting.

a. Capture a screenshot when you select following options in Verify Domain page to show us the value of the TXT record for you domain.

See instructions for performing this step with: General instructions
        Select a verification method: Add a TXT record (preferred method) 

b. The screenshot of error message when you click Verify to verify your domain from MOP.

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hello, I now have mey website (pianola-rolls.com) verified and my new adddress is:

Your SharePoint website address is http://www.pianola-rolls.com | Change address

I now have a problem accessing or editing my website pianola-rolls.com.

Also cannot transfer my emails from OLSB using Outlook wizard.

Screenshot of Website sign in error message

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

•Internet connectivity has been lost.

•The website is temporarily unavailable.

•The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.

•The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.

•There might be a typing error in the address.

•If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

With regards transferring and configiring my emails.

I have used as advised Outlook wizard to transfer my emails from OLSB

In the Auto Account Set up Box

I have entered my name Edward Baylis

aeolian6588@pianola-rolls.com (My old email address associated with pianola-rolls.com)

Entered my password twice for this email address

Clicked next

Message received. Encrypted connection to email server is not available

Nonencrypted also failed giving me an option to connect manually via a POP3 server.

Can you help, our business is now on stop, many people telephoning complaining we have not responded to their email orders

If we cannot sort this out today will I lose all my old OLSB email data

Thank you

Edward Baylis

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Edward,

Thank you for your update.

I have queried your domain with nslookup command, and noticed that there is no dns records for Office 365 online service of your domain on your dns server.

To help to resolve the problem, please update the name servers of your domain and point to Office 365 and try again. For your convenience, I list the dns server information of Office 365 for small business as follows.

ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com  65.55.171.195
    ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com  65.55.63.215

Note: The name server switching process will help add these required DNS records (for example, MX, CNAME, SRV, etc) automatically.

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1|2|