No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

No names appear as contact suggestions when composing email.

• 4 Followers
  • 7 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

In Outlook Web App, go to Contacts. Enter a new contact. Include the First Name (e.g. John), Last Name (Smith) and put in the Email address (e.g. cantremember@example.com). It doesn't matter what you put in the Display As field or the List As field. Save and close.

Go back to your Inbox under the Mail tab.

Click 'New' to start writing a new email. In the 'To' Field, start typing John's name. You'll notice at this point that his name is not suggested. It doesn't matter if you start typing 'Joh..' or 'Smi...", his contact details aren't suggested. You only get a suggestion if you start typing the address, not the name. So if I start typing 'cantrem...', then the suggestion for John's email address starts showing and I can select it without writing in the rest.

So it only suggests addresses you can already remember. That rather defeats the point of having an address book, no?

I'm interested if other people have the same problem. Is this a "feature" or just something that hasn't been done properly? (And I know you can go into the Address Book and click the name of the person. But that is an extra step and begs the question about the point of the autocomplete feature if it only applies to email addresses and not names of people.)

-----------

ADDENDUM: I just tried this again, and I don't even get the address suggested, either. I am not quite confused as to what I have to do to get the autocomplete feature in the 'To' box to suggest names. It seems it won't even suggest the names of people I've previously received/sent emails to.

• Post Points: 35
Verified Answer
  • Hi Catalyst,

Thanks for your reply.

For this issue, I would like to clarify the following situation:

Generally, the first time you send a message to someone, even if he or she is in your Global address list or Contacts, you need to type in the full email address or browse to the Contact through the Contacts popups. After sending the recipient a first message, you could just type the person' name or the first letters of the email address next time, the suggestions for the whole email address will show up automatically, and then you will be able to choose the correct one to send a message to the person.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hi Catalyst,

Based on my testing, the autocomplete feature will detect and match the email address and Display as fields when we type in a user on To or CC lines in a new message. If you want to find a user with the first name, you can set the value of "Display as" field with the user's first name and last name.

You can find the "Display as" field under the E-mail field at the detailed information of a contact page. For more information, please see Add or Remove Recipients.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
    Suggested by
  • Hi Reken Liu,

In your suggested answer you say that the autocomplete will match the Display As field and then you tell me where to add it. If you read my original question, you'll find that I already know where to add it (see first paragraph: "It doesn't matter what you put in the Display As field") and no, it does not get suggested by Autocomplete (at least not in my case), which is the whole problem. So it seems you haven't read my question to begin with.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Catalyst,

I did read your question from the beginning. My meaning is to input the first name and last name (e.g. John Smith) in the Display As field, and then it should be able to get suggested by auto-complete. If it doesn't work in your side, please first send a test email to this contact by clicking To and selecting it from the list, and then compose a new email to test this again.

In addition, if the issue persists after all of this, would you please post some screenshots about the scenarios for troubleshooting?

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hi Catalyst,

How are things going? Is there any update about the issue?

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
  • Adding names to the Display As field when entering a new contact doesn't help. What does help - as you suggested - was sending an email to the person first. Quite some time after that, OWA starts to recognize this as a familiar contact in the To field when writing emails.

Thanks for your help.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Catalyst,

Thanks for your reply.

For this issue, I would like to clarify the following situation:

Generally, the first time you send a message to someone, even if he or she is in your Global address list or Contacts, you need to type in the full email address or browse to the Contact through the Contacts popups. After sending the recipient a first message, you could just type the person' name or the first letters of the email address next time, the suggestions for the whole email address will show up automatically, and then you will be able to choose the correct one to send a message to the person.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Office 365 contacts auto complete is not responsive, office live was 100 times better when emailing. It does not matter if you send an email first; it simply does not link to the "display as" AKA nick name and it's up to your luck if it's going to link the contact address. The Importing contacts feature is basically pointless! I have hundreds of contacts, and the idea of sending emails to all so the auto complete  works (assuming it's working) is time consuming and moving backwards.

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)