No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Office Pro Plus requirements

• The E3 and E4 plans have a subscription to Office 2010 Professional Plus on up to 5 machines for each user license.  Are these machines required to have an edition of Office 2007 or 2010 to install?
  • It means you can download the Office 2010 Professional Plus software therefore no previous version is required.

Thanks

Matthew Hughes

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hi Terry -- hope all is well...

To add to the above response, here's a summary of options for customers looking at various Office purchase options:

1.  Traditional on-premise licenses are purchased as L (license) only, L + SA (license plus software assurance) or subscription license.  There's a wide range in pricing between SMB and Open agreements vs. Select, EA & EAS.  For many of the SMB customers (> 250 employees) that follow these forums -- an Office Pro L only on Open is in the $500 range & Office Std a little under $400.

2.  For Office 365 -- Office Pro subscriptions are available as part of E3 or E4.  And can be purchased as a standalone subscription for $12/mo (annual term) or $15/mo (month to month).  And with Office Web Apps incorporated into the suite plans & the kiosk plans.

3.  We're seeing companies look at Office 365 purely in the context of Office refreshes.  Especially in smaller customer segments where Office 365 evaluation cycles go faster & Office license purchases have high unit costs & present the org with large, up front capital costs that are not as easily abosorbed as with larger enterprises that can more easily justify the upfront costs & amortize over 3-5-7 years.

4.  Related to #3 -- traditional Office licensing is device based -- meaning each user will typically require a separate Office license if installing on multiple devices.  Office 365 on the other hand, is user based & allows for installs on up to 5 devices.  This, along with the scale up / scale down nature of Office 365 subscription licensing presents many organizations with tremendous usage rights flexibility & financial flexibility as they are making purchasing decisions & decisions around procurement methods.

5.  Lastly - there are known issues around Office 365 versions of Office when published via Citrix / RDS.  If organizations fall under his category, you may find traditional on premise license options are best in the short term.

Feel free to drop me a line as there are always ifs, ands, buts when considering various license / procurement options.

David Bleecker

david@bleecker.net

• So, my company has the E3 plan and I have Office Professional Plus installed on my main laptop, a Toshiba Portege. I just bought a Samsung XE700 which is a Windows 7 tablet and I would like to install the Office software on there too. How do I do that without having to use another E3 license? (I have Administrator rights to our company Office365 account). Thanks for your help!

• Hi MvB2012 - hope all is well...

You can reference the Office Pro service description for this --- your E3 plan & included Office Pro subscription allows for install on up to 5 devices (noted in my post above).  Further -- O365 Office licensing is user based, so you don't have the same requirement to purchase another Office license when installing on other devices as you do with traditonal volume licensing.

Feel free to drop me a line & I can clarify further questions.

Thanks,

David Bleecker

david@bleecker.net

• Hi David, thanks much for the response. I appreciate it. I realized that each user could install on multiple devices, but didn't know how specifically to do it. I was overcomplicating it...all I had to do was install the software and log in...I assume that Microsoft keeps track of how many devices I am using in some back end way.