No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Porting a Mura website over to Office 365

This question is answered This question is answered

Hey All,

Hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction with this one.

We are looking to port all our services over to Office 365 including our website which currently runs on Mura (its just a content management system which runs on a Cold Fusion server.

I would be looking to port over the website as is, so we end up with an identical copy (obviously the internals of the website would now be different, such as posting new content etc), but I would want all the layout to be the same, along with all the menus and CSS styles and with a similarly easy way to post new news/articles.

I have already had a look around the internet but everything I have found so far advises to just attempt to copy the website layout using the website designer - but I imagine that it would be very difficult to replicate the site.

I also have a static copy of the website (downloaded using HTTrack) which might be easier to work from.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

Verified Answer
  • Hi CraigDee,

This is Jonis from Microsoft SharePoint Online Support.

Because Microsoft does not provide a desktop migration tool, we do not have official documentation that details the website migration process.  While there are a number of third party providers who have developed migration solutions for SharePoint Online for Office 365, you would need to work with them directly if you decide to implement their migration solutions.

I can tell you that customers have been successful manually copying and pasting over their website.  The following community forums post details a warning concerning embedded code and text on pasted content.  To review that article click here.

The following article only applies to files that you would like to migrate to your SharePoint Online Sites.  To review the article click here.

If that does not answer your question, let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread for a few days and will reply to any additional posts or questions.

All Replies
  • Yes this would "potentially" be possible it just depends on the complexity of the site.

I would say it is more a time issue than a "can it be done".

Connect with me via Twitter and we can chat about it.

Thanks

Matthew Hughes

• Hi CraigDee,

Because Microsoft does not provide a desktop migration tool, we do not have official documentation that details the website migration process.  While there are a number of third party providers who have developed migration solutions for SharePoint Online for Office 365, you would need to work with them directly if you decide to implement their migration solutions.

I can tell you that customers have been successful manually copying and pasting over their website.  The following community forums post details a warning concerning embedded code and text on pasted content.  To review that article click here.

The following article only applies to files that you would like to migrate to your SharePoint Online Sites.  To review the article click here.

If that does not answer your question, let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread for a few days and will reply to any additional posts or questions.

• Thanks Matt & Jonis for your replies.

So basically, am I right in saying that no matter what I do, I will just have to try to replicate the current website from scratch in Office 365?

Would it be possible to recreate menu styles and effects, for example the site currently uses Jquery for a few bits and pieces and to highlight the menu where ever the mouse is located, would this be possible?

Also, would the content all have to arranged manually, as there would be no CMS to dynamically link content across various pages?

Thanks again for your help,

Craig

• Hi CraigDee,

You have asked some great developmental questions, so I hope a community forum developer jumps in with some insight.  Concerning jquery, here is one option that worked as detailed in the following community forums post, to review the post click here.

For additional development information, review the developer’s guides:

Developer Guide Download

Developer and designer guides