No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Importing documents from a team site into website

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi,

Please could you tell me how to import a document that is in a team site into my website?

Regards,

Keith Horton

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

Verified Answer
  • Hi Keith,  

This is Bob from Microsoft Office 365 Support.  Thank you for coming to the communities with your question on how to import a document to your website from your team site.

If you are looking to share the document on your public facing site you will need to move the document from the Team Site document library tot eh document library for your website.  This can be done a couple of different ways. 

The easiest way is to use the Send to option.  To do this, locate the document that you want on the public facing site and click on the little drop-down arrow behind the name when you hover your mouse over it.  With the drop-down menu open, select Send to > Other Location, when the dialog box opens add the URL to the document library on the Web Site Page (should be http://yourdomain/Documents) and then click OK.  

With the document now in the proper library you will need to open the document in the Web App.  Using a Word Document for my test the URL is (http://domain.sharepoint.com/_layouts/WordViewer.aspx).  You will need to copy this URL and then close the document. 

Next go to the web page in edit mode that you want to share the document on and select the Insert tab on the ribbon.  On the Insert tab select Hyperlink, make sure the website radio button is selected and paste the URL you copied earlier in the URL text box.  Here you can add a Display text and also choose to open the link in a new window.  When you have the information entered you can click ok.

Now Save and publish the page, you should now be able to view the page and select the hyperlink you just created to view the document online.

Please let me know if this helps as I will be monitoring this thread over the next few days. 

Thank you,

All Replies
  • Hi Keith,  

This is Bob from Microsoft Office 365 Support.  Thank you for coming to the communities with your question on how to import a document to your website from your team site.

If you are looking to share the document on your public facing site you will need to move the document from the Team Site document library tot eh document library for your website.  This can be done a couple of different ways. 

The easiest way is to use the Send to option.  To do this, locate the document that you want on the public facing site and click on the little drop-down arrow behind the name when you hover your mouse over it.  With the drop-down menu open, select Send to > Other Location, when the dialog box opens add the URL to the document library on the Web Site Page (should be http://yourdomain/Documents) and then click OK.  

With the document now in the proper library you will need to open the document in the Web App.  Using a Word Document for my test the URL is (http://domain.sharepoint.com/_layouts/WordViewer.aspx).  You will need to copy this URL and then close the document. 

Next go to the web page in edit mode that you want to share the document on and select the Insert tab on the ribbon.  On the Insert tab select Hyperlink, make sure the website radio button is selected and paste the URL you copied earlier in the URL text box.  Here you can add a Display text and also choose to open the link in a new window.  When you have the information entered you can click ok.

Now Save and publish the page, you should now be able to view the page and select the hyperlink you just created to view the document online.

Please let me know if this helps as I will be monitoring this thread over the next few days. 

Thank you,

• Thanks Bob,

Didn't know you could do that. Life is a little easier now, I repeat, a little.

It was a little bit difficult to find that Send to icon but it did work.

Thanks.

• Hi Bob,

Thanks very much, it worked great.

Regards,

Keith Horton

• Bob, is there a way to sync the contents of the document library with the contents of the team site.