No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Basic getting started question ... I already have Office Professional Plus installed ...

• 2 Followers
  • 11 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Do I need to download and re-install Office Professional Plus from the 365 site to get 365 to work?

I already have Office Professional Plus 2010, Outlook 2010, Lync 2010, etc, installed on our desktops. I just want to trial 365 to test out the collaboration features. Specifically we have an Excel spreadsheet that 40 people need to share / update.

Can I use the trial without reinstalling Office on 40 peoples desktops ?!

When I log in to the 365 portal I am stuck at the "Start Here" page and cant get past the "Set up your computer to work with Microsoft Office 365." ?

Thanks.

Jon.

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hi Jon,

If you already have Office Professional Plus installed on your desktops, you do not need to download and re-install Office Professional Plus from Office 365 portal. You could use the trial without reinstalling Office Professional Plus on 40 people's desktops.

Moreover, you mentioned that you are stuck at the "Start Here" page and cannot get past the Set up your computer to work with Microsoft Office 365.", could you please provide more information about it?

Generally, you need to log into Office 365 portal portal.microsoftonline.com and go to the Admin page, click Downloads and click Set up to Set up and configure your Office desktop apps which will check your PC for required updates and configures your Office desktop apps to work with Microsoft Office 365.

If you could not get it work, will you receive any error message about it? Could you describe the situation more clearly for us to further troubleshooting?

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • When I log in to the portal I have a "Home" and "Admin" link at the top of the page.

When I select "Home" I see the page that says :

Start here

Administrator: This is the experience your users see when they sign in.

1.Set up your computer to work with Microsoft Office 365. Set up now

2.Get an overview of Office 365. Watch the user tour

3.Learn the basics. Read the Quick start guide

I don’t have "Home - Outlook - Team Site" menu I was expecting ?

When I click on "Set up now" I get a page that says :

1 - Install Microsoft Office Professional Plus

! Upgrading to Office Professional Plus - Installing this product will upgrade the current version of Office on your computer to Office 2010 Professional Plus ...

2 - Set up and configure your Office desktop apps

I haven’t run the "Install Microsoft Office Professional Plus" as I have Office Professional Plus already installed and working on my desktop.

But I have run the "Set up and configure your Office desktop apps " which completes successfully. I have a "Microsoft Office 365 Portal" link in my start menu. However it just takes me back the "Home | Admin" page.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply.

Based on your description, I would like to confirm if you are the primary global administrator in Office 365 for your organization.

Generally, if you are an admin, when you log into Office 365 Portal from portal.microsoftonline.com, you would be able to view the header as below:

If you could only view Home | Admin from the header, could you please post a screen shot about it for us to have a clear view of it?

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi,

Yes, I'm the global admin. Screen shots below ...

Thanks.

Jon.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply and screen shots.

Based on the current situation, please go to Admin page, click Users and check if you have been assigned the corresponding licenses for Exchange Online, Lync Online and SharePoint online.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi Jon,

How are things going?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi,

I don’t have any Exchange, Lync or SharePoint licenses allocated, but I wasn’t expecting to. We are only trying to use the Office apps online (Word, Excel, etc.) we have a corporate instance already for Exchange, Lync, etc. All I want to do is trial the cloud versions of Word and Excel ? Is this possible ? Can we do this without trialling Exchange and Lync as well ?

My user license tab says this :

Assign licenses : Office Professional Plus - 38 of 40 licenses available

Thanks.

Jon.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, I would like to clarify that there is no term as for "cloud version of Word and Excel", it is when you use Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 with Microsoft Office 365 that you can edit and review Microsoft Office files virtually anywhere you can use your computer, smartphone, or a supported web browser.

If you only want to use Office Professional Plus instead of Exchange Online, SharePoint Online and Lync Online, it would not be possible to achieve your requirement.

For more information about Office Professional Plus, please refer to the link below:

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../hh416762.aspx

community.office365.com/.../default.aspx

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • Ok. Thanks.

This is what I'm trying to do :

We are an organisation of 2,000 people globally. We already have local copies of Office Professional Plus 2010, Outlook 2010, Lync 2010, etc, installed on all desktops and this is used as our main corporate communication platform.

I want to trial Office 365 to test out the collaboration features. Specifically, I have 40 users who all need to share and update an Excel spreadsheet. I was hoping to use this group as the Office 365 trial as they have a specific requirement I had hoped Office 365 would be able to assist with.

What I want to do is, get these 40 people using Office 365, but without interfering with the current corporate global Exchange and Lync configurations. Can these people use the features of Office 365 to collaborate on their spreadsheet, without reinstalling Office all their desktops and without changing their current corporate Exchange or Lync configurations, so they will still be able to access all the corporate Lynx and Exchange functions and wont be isolated from the rest of the organsiation ?!

Is this possible ? Or have I misunderstood the features of Office 365 ? Will Office 365 actually offer any collaboration features for Excel, specifically, multiple people all being able to update the same spreadsheet easily ? This is the problem I am trying to solve.

Thanks.

Jon.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply and explanation.

Based on your description, I would like to confirm if you want to use SharePoint Online to collaborate on their spreadsheets without using Exchange Online and Lync Online in Office 365.

If this is the case, it is possible to achieve this. You could just purchase the SharePoint Online license to assign to these users. This would not interfere with the current corporate global Exchange and Lync configurations. They could still be able to access all the corporate Lync and Exchange functions and would not be isolated.

Moreover, since you already have Office Professional Plus installed, you do not need to download and re-install Office Professional Plus from Office 365 portal. You just need to run Set up and configure your Office desktop apps from Office 365 Portal--Admin page--Downloads to check your PC for required updates and configures your Office desktop apps to work with Microsoft Office 365.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • Hi Jon,

We have not heard from you in a couple of days.

Please post back at your convenience if we can help further.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)