No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Word 2010 Saving Files

This question is not answered This question is not answered
Word 2010 has lost the save and save as functions after the integration of Office 365. Opening Word documents from Office 365 cause an error. I have tried Repair and Uninstalling and Reinstall to no avail. Could someone point me toward a solution ? Thanks. - John

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • JohnJ

It certainly sounds like you have a corrupted download and installation.  Have you gone into your event viewer to see what application and system errors happen around the time you did the installation?  

Have you downloaded the latest hotfixes and patches for your machine?

I'd start there because without everything in place, your application isn't going to work.

• Hi Glenn -

I am not very familiar with Event Viewer, but I don't seem to see anything that looks like it may be relevent. I am totally up todate with latest hotfixes and patches I think.

Below is the error message I get when trying to launch a document from Office 365 into Word 2010 :

"This error is usually caused by insufficient memory or low disk space. It also occurs when the default Word template (normal.dotm) is corrupt, when the VBE6.DLL file is the wrong version, or when permissions to the TEMP folder on a server share do not allow access to the folder by the user.

Low memory or disk space can be solved by either closing unused applications, removing unused programs or files from your hard drive, or by adding RAM or a larger hard drive. In some cases, a memory leak might have occurred and is exhausting RAM without your knowledge. If you suspect that a memory leak is the problem, shutdown Word and VBA and restart the computer.

Rename the normal.dotm file and then restart Microsoft Word. When you exit Word, Word will build a new normal.dotm file. If you have a backup of normal.dotm, you can replace the defective file by using the backup copy instead of having Word repair the file.

If the VBE6.DLL is not the correct version, replace it.

If your network permissions are insufficient for access to a TEMP folder on a server share, contact the administrator and determine whether the permissions can be changed. If they cannot, redirect VB to use a local TEMP folder."

I have done the things suggested except I can't even find a VBE6.DDL.

Thanks.

- John

• Check that. VBE6.DLL

- John

• First off the VBE6.DLL file is only on the Win XP version of windows. Its location is:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA6

If you are running Vista or Windows 7 I'm don't think it needs this file. I can't find it on my machine.

Second : the event viewer is a viewer for seeing errors that occur on your windows computer. Its probably the most commonly used diagnostic tool.  Just go to:

Start>Control Panel>administrative tools>event viewer and look at the application logs and system logs.  The errors will all be red circles with an x in them. the default is by date and time stamp but you can sort the entries by type too and put all the errors in one grouping.

Double click on one and you can read additonal information about the error.

So the first question is what operating system are you using. What browser are you using and what version?  

I am researching this and I will keep you informed.

"G. Ray"   Gl;enn Sr  MSFT Moderator

• Sorry, I should have noted that I am using Windows 7 with IE9 Version 9.0.8112.16421.

Thanks !

- John

• Hello "G. Ray" Glenn Sr. -

Just thought I would check-in and see if you have found anything on this yet. The problem still exists and I can not use Word on the machine it seems until this is resolved.

Thanks !

- John

• I am having the same problem:

Error: when opening word

[This error is usually caused by insufficient memory or low disk space. It also occurs when the default Word template (normal.dotm) is corrupt, when the VBE7.DLL file is the wrong version, or when permissions to the TEMP folder on a server share do not allow access to the folder by the user.

Low memory or disk space can be solved by either closing unused applications, removing unused programs or files from your hard drive, or by adding RAM or a larger hard drive. In some cases, a memory leak might have occurred and is exhausting RAM without your knowledge. If you suspect that a memory leak is the problem, shutdown Word and VBA and restart the computer.

Rename the normal.dotm file and then restart Microsoft Word. When you exit Word, Word will build a new normal.dotm file. If you have a backup of normal.dotm, you can replace the defective file by using the backup copy instead of having Word repair the file.

If the VBE7.DLL is not the correct version, replace it.

If your network permissions are insufficient for access to a TEMP folder on a server share, contact the administrator and determine whether the permissions can be changed. If they cannot, redirect VB to use a local TEMP folder.]