No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Outlook 2010 configuration

• 5 Followers
  • 14 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

I'm a current BPOS user and have had that working fine.  Just got my Office 365 Beta account, installed the Office 365 user desktop tool to configure the client apps and it stated that all were configured fine except Outlook and a manual config was needed.  Opened Outlook to create a new profile to connect to my Office 365 account, put in my name & email address (xxx@ACME.onmicrosoft.com), put in my password and clicked next (or whatever) to authenticate/validate which came back successful.  After adding this, stated I needed to close Outlook & restart, which I did.  Upon opening Outlook, it prompted for my O365 password which I entered (and was the same creating the Exchange account).  However, it wasn't able to authenticate as it continues to prompt for my password.  This same UID/PWD works fine for OWA (via the O365 portal).

I then tried to get into my BPOS account (via the single sign-on tool) which then also asks for password now and I can't get into either email account via Outlook.  Any thoughts??

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hey syscat,

So I was interested to find out what is failing here and i recreated this exact setup (or at least close) on my test account.  A brand new Win 7 (Pro in my case, 32 bit) VM, joined to a new domain (but not logged on to the domain), and a new installation of Office Pro Plus and Lync from the O365 Portal.  How closely does that match?

I was able to get the same failure of Outlook configuration that you got, but Lync setup fine.  After the Outlook config failed, I opened Outlook and added the account.  That is the manual add I am thinking- not a manual configuration of all settings (I understand why you wouldn't want that for your users).  Does that work for you?  It did for me, which means that Autodiscover is working, and I have the correct cname for Autodiscover for my domain pointing to autodiscover.outlook.com.  If that fails, then go back to my earlier post on Autodiscover troubleshooting since that is probably the issue.

In my case where it isn't, we are trying to figure out why the automatic config isn't working.  Thanks!  

Brian Edelstone MSFT Moderator
    • Not Ranked
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hi there,

The first thing you'll want to do is uninstall the Single Sign on application (for BPOS).  There's a deep dive uninstall for that which includes removing reg keys and the like.  You'll need to call in to BPOS support for those instructions.  The desktop setup is supposed to remove them so that Autodiscover knows where to look to configure Outlook.  

Then remove your Outlook profiles and restart the machine.  Run the Office 365 desktop setup again and have it configure Outlook again.  That should resolve the need for the manual configuration.

Thanks,

• Not Ranked
  • Not sure why, but I stepped away for a while and was able to get my O365 Outlook profile to connect to O365 Exchange Online, but had to do a BPOS client reconfiguration in the SSO tool to get BPOS to work again.  

• Not Ranked
  • Hi,

I have the same problem, i run the set up and it says my Outlook needs to be configured manually. This is a new windows 7 VM with Outlook 2010 installed on it. I did not install BPOS SSO as I heard this is not required. What could be the problem? Please help. Thanks.

btw, i added my domain, verified it and added Cname alias autodiscover that points to autodiscover.outlook.com in my domain registrar.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi there, I am also facing the same issue here. Appreciate if anyone has a solution for this.

Thanks.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi,

If the Office 365 Desktop Setup from the Portal is failing to configure Outlook, it's most likely an Autodiscover issue.  Here's a Support article on Autodiscover troubleshooting in Office 365: support.microsoft.com/.../2259044.  A helpful site for diagnosing these issues is also www.testexchangeconnectivity.com.  You'll see there the option to test Outlook Autodiscover.

If that doesn't help, this article contains the instructions for a manual configuration of Outlook for Office 365: support.microsoft.com/default.aspx.

Thanks,

• Not Ranked
  • Hello,

As to Brian's information, this is correct. You cannot use BPOS and Office 365 simultaneously. You will need to run one or the other in that given machine as well as other machines.

Thanks,

David Rummelhart MSFT Moderator
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Male
    Suggested by
  • mine is actually new domain just for O365 Beta.

I set up new AD, DNS, Mail server test environment. I did not choose the ADFS server setup.

Sync'd my users to O365 fine, this worked smoothly.

I am now stuck in setting up desktop Apps. I do not like the idea of manual configuration, you know how our users would

react on manual config.

• Not Ranked
  • BTW, I am setting up O365 desktop in a new Windows 7 VM, this is member domain client. Never been used.

I am having issues with Outlook - not configured automatically and

Lync shows server is temporarily unavailable.

• Not Ranked
  • David - per your comment, I was able to get both BPOS & O365 working for Outlook.  I created a new profile in Outlook and manually entered in the information for O365.  I had to remove the BPOS profile & setup O365 profile to get the server address (CH1PRD0502.mailbox.outlook.com for me) and put this into the profile information.  I then went into the BPOS SSO tool and selected the "Reconfigure my desktop applications" link on the Options tab and all was well.  This allows me to exit Outlook and select which profile I want and it then connect to either BPOS or O365.  This also allows me to run BPOS to get my production email but use the web portal to do all other O365 items (admin, SharePoint, etc).  

I have a TON of SharePoint issues, but the Exchange piece is working great...

• Not Ranked
  • Hey syscat,

So I was interested to find out what is failing here and i recreated this exact setup (or at least close) on my test account.  A brand new Win 7 (Pro in my case, 32 bit) VM, joined to a new domain (but not logged on to the domain), and a new installation of Office Pro Plus and Lync from the O365 Portal.  How closely does that match?

I was able to get the same failure of Outlook configuration that you got, but Lync setup fine.  After the Outlook config failed, I opened Outlook and added the account.  That is the manual add I am thinking- not a manual configuration of all settings (I understand why you wouldn't want that for your users).  Does that work for you?  It did for me, which means that Autodiscover is working, and I have the correct cname for Autodiscover for my domain pointing to autodiscover.outlook.com.  If that fails, then go back to my earlier post on Autodiscover troubleshooting since that is probably the issue.

In my case where it isn't, we are trying to figure out why the automatic config isn't working.  Thanks!  

• Not Ranked
  • Brian,

Thanks for your reply.

You know what, two O365 Tech Support assited me and one even connected to my PC, but did not show this to me. They are still trying how to resolved my issue but it seems to me they dont know how autodiscover work???

So, i proceed to the manual config, where i typed the name of the user and the email address then i click Next and it was configured

and successfully verified. This one is OK for me, I thought we need to add those server names. So this is how autodiscover works in Outlook? And why is it that MS makes it difficult for me :-(

But i got one last Q, How come my Outlook is showing my email as tuser1@domain.onmicrosoft.com? how can i use the tuser1@domain.com?

Thanks so much for your help.

• Not Ranked
  • Hey,

In order to have your email as tuser1@domain.com you first need to make sure you have added your domain to the Online Portal.  All users you add after that, you will choose domain.com as their default (if that's what you want), and they will automatically get user@domain.onmicrosoft.com appended as an alias.  For this user which has already been created, once you have your domain added just go to the user properties and update the username to reflect domain.com as the suffix.  They will retain @domain.onmicrosoft.com as an alias.

By the way, I suspect that not having all updates installed on the system before attempting the configuration is the culprit.  Is that true in your case?  I didn't run Windows Update first but now I am, and I see a large .Net update available.  That is a definite probability.

Thanks!

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Brian,

I had the CName Autodiscover added. My mistake is I did not even bother to make my fingers work to type the name and email address. I know I am used to automatic :-) .

In my Admin site , I already added my domain and verified it. I checked at the user properties and it is showing primary email: tuser1@domain.onmicrosoft.com and below that is the alias email address tuser1@domain.com. I tried to edit it but still the primary email is not changed. Or are you talking about a different way to add the domain?

Thanks so much.

• Not Ranked
  • O365 Beta Tech Support told me to check my AD account and verify that the user>General properties has email address. I check and mine has no email address, this fixed my issue. I am now using user@domain.com. Thanks.

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)