No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Migrating from Office Live to Office 365

• 10 Followers
  • 48 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

I am not  sure if I am in the right forum for this, I am new to your group, so please bare with me and point me in the right direction. 

Folks I am having a serious problem migrating from Office live to Office 365.  I signed up to begin using 365 so I had to change my service provider, then change my name servers which is registered with Melbourne IT.  The problem is, Melbourne is having problems with the DNS functionality.  I hope this makes sense.  When I try to cancel my DNS it fails because Melbourne system has a problem.  See their problem posted below

"There is currently a DNS communication issue preventing some updates to our DNS
platform being made, this is currently being investigated and further updates
will be provided here. Please note this issue is intermittant and may not affect
all customers"

Bottom line is, my website has been down for 4 days now with no sign of life from Melbourne.  Is there a fix for this?  I have no idea when Melbourne might resurface as a functional entity.

Any help is appreciated

• Post Points: 20
All Replies
  • It look s like they are not interested at all.

I'm not very impressed with the service so I my not even attempt to migrate my sites!

• Not Ranked
    • Post Points: 0
  • I doubt the separate company Melbourne IT has disappeared. You should try contacting them again, because it seems to be a problem on their end (from what you posted) that you need to get fixed before you can proceed to anything having to do with Office Live and Office 365 transition. I would suggest calling their support directly.

• Not Ranked
  • "I signed up to begin using 365 so I had to change my service provider,..."

Why?  You can use 365 without changing your domain over. Melbourne is buried in requests now and you have until May 1st to decide if you want to use 365 or not. A lot of people are jumping into this and losing control of their domain, web site and email and you won't get any assistance from MSFT. I'd wait.

http://webbrewers.com/   |     |  Get more out of Office 365

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hi,

First of all, thanks for your efforts on this one.

Geocoy, as you bought your custom domain at another domain name provider (Melbourne IT), to remove the domain from OLSB, it needs to access your domain registrar and remove it from there. In the current situation you could not access domain registrar and update DNS records, please contact your domain host provider and help you remove the domain from there.

For more information about Self-transition Guide for Office Live Small Business Customers, please refer to the article below:
    http://ask.officelive.com/smallbusiness/wiki/articles/self-transition-guide-for-office-live-small-business-customers.aspx

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Grace,

You should already know this but Melbourne is the registrar contracted for OLSB domains. So the domain was bought through MSFT and the guy obviously needs a bit more guidance than just "contact your registrar". Who's going to provide that if not the co that sold him the domain? 

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Male
  • I have moved my website ' reluctantly' to 365  but I am not sure it is visible or will be.  I have verified it and it is such a relief that i've done it.  Can anybody tell me if it can be 'found' and assure me I have done everything right?  I still have work to do on it but I have all the pages in place at least and can build it up if I know I have done it right.

Sheila Ley

www.vacantpossessions.co.uk

• Not Ranked
  • The website is visible at the link you provided, Sheila.

• Not Ranked
  • Thank you for your reply, I can carry on working on it now I know my website has moved properly.

I am not sure about Sharepoint, sometimes when I try to access my site it says oooops google cannot find it.

• Not Ranked
  • I can't believe this is happening,  I have been getting emails from Microsoft for many months trying to get me to switch to Office 365, and finally they say you have to switch now or risk losing your site, so I decided to take the plunge and switch.  So here I am stuck with no help.  I did call the registra and they seemed willing to help but it is like you said they are overwhelmed and stuck.  They can not help and my website is down.  It sounds like this was a carefully thought out plan of migration.  Yet I am still geting useless emails from Microsoft and requests to take surveys, they want to know about my experience with Microsoft Office 365.  These mindless people belong on "The Walking Dead".

• Not Ranked
  • Is there anybody out there?

I have been trying to migrate my site from the old Office live system to the office 365 system since about last thursday.   I went thru the steps until I got to "Make sure people can still go to your website" and it asks a questions

1) What is the IP address of you

Contact the company that hosts http://www.foxvbiz.com for you and ask them to provide the IP address where your website is hosted.

Well I always thought Microsoft was hosting my website, since it is an office live account.  So how do we contact this company called Microsoft to get an ip address or a "fully qualified domain name".  Microsoft has no clear path to communicate with a customer.

My site has been down since last Thursday since I can't find a way to contact the company that is hosting my site.  Is there a way to start a dialog with someone who can help with this?

• Not Ranked
  • geocoy,

It's the other way around. Moving to 365, you need to point the domain name from your domain host (Melbourne) TO the 365 nameservers. So in short, you get the nameservers from your 365 account under add a domain and then enter that at Melbourne. Are the Melbourne problems fixed now?

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Male
  • Yes, I understand I have to chage the name servers to "ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com " but Melbourne is down for the count, overwhelmed I am guessing.  In the mean time my website is down also and I have no way of reversing what I started.  I did manage to find my temporary website listed as a sharepoint site.  I can make changes to it and hope that someday Melbourne will return to the land of the living so I can finish redeligatng my DNS to the new servers.

I also noticed that Melbourne has removed its message in the help section regarding its problem with the DNS management.  I and caught between waiting/ moving a website and purchasing a new domain, which may be the quick way out.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi geocoy,

I understand that Name Server records cannot be created. You have contacted Melbourne IT support for further assistance. Given this situation, when there is any update about this issue, please let us know.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Top 25 Contributor
  • I checked the status of my Change Names servers "Cancel DNS" at Melbourne several times a day.  The person I talked to told me there is nothing I can do but wait it out.  After Melbourne withdrew their posting in the help screen indicating they had a problem with DNS services I tried canceling the DNS a second time and received an error message saying it failed because there was already a DNS cancelation in process.  I don't want to do anything that might cause this operation to fail so I am waiting.

They told me when the process was complete I could expect to see a new message like "Change names Servers" would appear.  I have not seen anything like that yet.

Right now it still shows the old names servers " ns1.secure.net  and ns2.secure.net and it displays this  message "Change Name Servers [Cancel DNS]" .  It does not say it is in process of cancelling the DNS but when I click the link (Cancel DNS]" ) it says it failed because there is a cancellation in process.  So I am helpess untill I see a change.

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 4 (49 items) 1|2|3|4|