No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Uploading folders and files to libraries

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi

I'm new to 365 and am trying to upload many files in their folder structure to a shared library. I can't see how to do it. Reading the blogs, 'open in explorer' seems to crop up but this option is greyed out for some unknown reason.

Any ideas? Keep it Janet and John please; I'm a user not an IT Pro.

Ian

Verified Answer
  • Hi Ian,

This is Tim with Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support.

There are 2 possible reasons for why 'Open in Explorer" is greyed out. The first option is that you do not have the proper permission to use this feature. The other option is that you are using a browser that is not fully supported. If you are not using Internet Explorer, you may not see every feature be available.

I will continue to monitor this thread if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Tim Muth

Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support

• Hi Ian,

If you are signed in, you should not be prompted for credentials. With Internet Explorer open, click on Tools -> InPrivate Browsing. This will open a new window. Browse to your SharePoint site, log in and make sure that you put the check mark in "Keep me signed in". After you are signed in, try to open with explorer and see if you are prompted to credentials.

Thanks,

Tim Muth

All Replies
  • Hi Ian,

This is Tim with Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support.

There are 2 possible reasons for why 'Open in Explorer" is greyed out. The first option is that you do not have the proper permission to use this feature. The other option is that you are using a browser that is not fully supported. If you are not using Internet Explorer, you may not see every feature be available.

I will continue to monitor this thread if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Tim Muth

• Hi Tim

Thanks for that. I was using Firefox; no longer greyed out with IE. However, I get this popup now:

Connecting to xxx.sharepoint.com requesting a user name and password. My portal login credentials don't work. Any ideas please?

Ian

• Hi Ian,

If you are signed in, you should not be prompted for credentials. With Internet Explorer open, click on Tools -> InPrivate Browsing. This will open a new window. Browse to your SharePoint site, log in and make sure that you put the check mark in "Keep me signed in". After you are signed in, try to open with explorer and see if you are prompted to credentials.

Thanks,

Tim Muth

• Hi Ian,

Are you still getting prompted for credentials when uploading folders and files via explorer view? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Tim Muth