Powerpoint 2013: Missing images (The image part with relationship ID xxx was not found in the file)

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

We recently moved to Office 2013 and to be honest, I'm regretting the decision a great deal now.  Ever since we made the move, a large number of powerpoint presentations (a file type we use A LOT) that were created in 2007 are missing images, embedded excel files, etc.  Sometimes all of them, sometimes only a few.

The error message is always:

The image part with relationship ID xxx was not found in the file

These files and images were fine in 2007 and used for years with no issues. 

This is rapidly becoming an epidemic and my users are ready to look for an alternative to powerpoint at this junction. I know this is an ongoing problem for a lot of folks, if my cursory research of the issue is any indication, so I was hoping Microsoft had released a fix, was working on a fix, or knew of a fix.

All Replies
  • Hi William,

Based on your description, do you mean the issue relates to Office 2013 client applications? If so, to get the issue fixed, I would suggest you raise the issue to our specific support forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-powerpoint?auth=1

The engineers on that forum are professional in dealing with this kind of the issue. We guarantee you will get  dedicated support there. Our forum focuses on Office 365 Online service, Your understanding will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nate Cui

• If you search through that forum, you'll find a 2 page entry on the same issue I'm having.  Unfortunately, there is not a single answer from a Microsoft tech.  There's a question from a tech on the circumstances...but that's it:

answers.microsoft.com/.../73e45dc2-ab20-4a3e-8d9c-05da9b96bae2

So posting in that forum does not help either.

Someone on that forum though has said that Microsoft has acknowledged it's an issue and they are working on it.  Hopefully they fix it soon as it's a very large problem.

• Hello.  In my current Help Desk role, I have seen 3 cases with this behavior.  It has affected multiple users across different iterations of Power Point.  First user had 2007, but another in the same meeting with 2013 was also affected.  I have 2013 and the file opened fine for me.  I did a Save As to ppt 97-2003 and sent it back to the user and it was OK on most of the files.  I believe 1 was still missing images for that user on the most recent file.

For my current case, this user has a lot of files so he's going to give me copies and I'm going to try a batch-conversion utility to see if it helps in that scenario as it's impractical for users to create helpdesk cases if they're going to have repeat occurrences of the same problem.

Unfortunately, no one else on the team has caught this type of case.  I've had 3 or 4.  

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hello, I've tried your solution, i.e. to save my ppt files as PPT 97-2003 and reopen them. All images are gone including the images coming from my ppt Template. I've got the same issue when I use PPT for MAC. It's not easy to describe the stages to recreate this bug because it doesn't happen to all my files. What I can say: I use a PPT Template built using PPT 97-2003, I let my presentation opened many days saving it time to time. Yesterday I opened my laptop and I had the MS message described above on all pictures gone. I build a brand new PPT template on office 365 and tried to import my slides. Images are still missing. Thus I'm rebuilding the presentation right now.

• Hello, I've tried your solution, i.e. to save my ppt files as PPT 97-2003 and reopen them. All images are gone including the images coming from my ppt Template. I've got the same issue when I use PPT for MAC. It's not easy to describe the stages to recreate this bug because it doesn't happen to all my files. What I can say: I use a PPT Template built using PPT 97-2003, I let my presentation opened many days saving it time to time. Yesterday I opened my laptop and I had the MS message described above on all pictures gone. I build a brand new PPT template on office 365 and tried to import my slides. Images are still missing. Thus I'm rebuilding the presentation right now.