No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Hotmail (Outlook Connector) and Exchange (Office 365) account in one Outlook profile

This question is answered This question is answered

Hello,

I want to find way to connect Office 365 Exchange account and Hotmail account (Outlook Connector) in one Outlook profile and work perfectly.

Everytime i add Office 365 account, is Exchange account set as default store for Contacts, Calendar and Tasks. It is no matter if Hotmail account is added before or after (error on loading profile) setting Office 365 account. So Hotmail account is limited to sync only e-mails.

If I want to change default account to Hotmail (and view both e-mails, calendars and tasks together), it works, but with some errors on Office 365 account side - it's not possible until I disable Exchange Cached Mode and disable Offline use for Office 365 Exchange account.

Its have some discomfort problems - Instant Search in e-mails stop working, loading big list of e-mails from Office 365 take a long time and what is worse, if Outlook lost connection to Office 365 server in his startup, there is no way to change back to Online mode (it always work in Offline - FYI: on Send/Receive is not Work Offline Button).

And what is really annoying is that sometimes "Messaging Interface return unkwnown error" and there stop working sending (and saving drafts) e-mails and I must restart Outlook.

So, what is your suggested way to setup Office 365 Exchange account and Hotmail account in one Outlook profile?

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

Verified Answer
  • Hi Anna Guo,

thanks for your time and response. I discuss this also with Hotmail support staff and we think that this behavior is resulted by setting own custom domain at Hotmail provided by Microsoft (not just ordinary Hotmail account) and implementing Windows Live Contacts. And also setting syncs for Windows Phone for this account as primary and also connecting Office 365 account to this, so there is a copy of this meeting in calendar, which is synced by default (Hotmail Calendar) - in Czech Republic was not Windows Phone fully supported for sync another Hotmail accounts before.

So, with default setting meeting of Outlook, meeting request is saved to right calendar. But if it user want his Hotmail account as primary account and primary data save location - to do bar show data only for primary calendar and also saving contact cards and tasks is do to the primary account. After this Exchange account cannot work as secondary right (as with POP3/IMAP account can, but they store file differently).

So conclusion is that Exchange Office 365 account can not be set as secondary account and Hotmail account as primary probably by design. I solved this by time by using virtualized another instance of Outlook with two separate accounts.

But if you want examine this behaviour, you can try set up your Hotmail account as default account and default data file (to show events from Hotmail calendar and tasks in to-do and default to new events in calendar).

All Replies
  • Hi Kazzan,

Have you tried using the Outlook Hotmail Connector?

www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

Thanks,

Patrick

• Hello Patrick, i already using Hotmail Outlook Connector as I said. With Hotmail Outlook Connector i experiencing this problem.

If i use SMTP/POP access to Hotmail, there is no problem, but there is no way to sync Tasks and Calendar (not as EAS on Windows Phone - connected Windows Live Account).

• Hi Kazzan,

Generally, you could add a Hotmail account as a new E-mail account in Outlook 2010 and all the accounts in it are all independent, separated from each other. So based on your description, I would like to confirm if you have already connected Outlook 2010 to your Office 365 account by following the steps in this link below and also connected it to your Hotmail account through Outlook Hotmail Connector.

Connect Outlook to your Office 365 account:

help.outlook.com/.../ms.exch.ecp.useoutlookanywhere.aspx  

If this is the case, could you help collect the following information for us to troubleshoot this issue.

1. If you just connected Outlook 2010 to your Office 365 account, will this account work fine? Will there be any problems?

2. If you just connected your Hotmail account in Outlook 2010 through Outlook Hotmail connector, will this account work correctly?

For the discomfort problems you mentioned, you could try to open your computer, just run Outlook process and close any other services from Windows Task Manager. Check if the problems would persist or not.

You can also open Outlook under safe mode by using this command outlook.exe /safe and see if it helps.

For the error message "Messaging Interface return unknown error", you may be able to resolve this issue by using the Inbox Repair Tool to analyze and to repair the .pst file. The steps to use the Inbox Repair Tool differ, depending on your computer’s operating system. Please use the appropriate set of the following steps in the KB below to resolve this issue.

Here is the link for your reference:

support.microsoft.com/.../814441

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Hi Anna,

yes, i can add two different accounts and they are independent, but there is only one default and primary account and with this is a problem. It is normal, but it's not work prefectly for this combination.

I have connect Office 365 account normally (based on this howto).

1. Connect only Hotmail accout work fine.

2. Connect only Office 365 account work fine.

3. Connect both Hotmail and Office 365 doesn't work fine.

> Setting Exchange account as primary works fine, but Hotmail account lost tasks and if to Hotmail account arrive meeting request is set to Exchange calendar not right to Hotmail Calendar. If setting Hotmail account as primary, works tasks and meeting requests for both calendars fine. But for this is requiered to disable offline cache exchange mode. If is enabled, Outlook cannot open profile file and connect to Exchange.

Any other processes does not have relation to this. It persist on clean new installed computer. Safe mode does not help in this cause. Problem is in the way as Hotmail Connector store connection to server and working as primary account (Exchange just want to be primary account).

Thanks for link to Inbox Repair Tool. No errors found. I will look if problem persist (it apears only sometime), but i mean that is connected to tasks above. If you work online to Exchange account and there is connection lag it not save/send the draft and problem is that Outlook probably switch to offline but not shown this.

Thanks for your time.

• Hello Kazzan,

Did you encounter any errors when adding both exchange account of Office 365 mailbox and Hotmail into Outlook client?

I have tried to add an Exchange Account of Office 365 mailbox and Hotmail account in one outlook profile on our side for the test, and noticed that, these two mailbox works well in Outlook client and the calendar of Hotmail account can be sync to outlook successfully.  

To help to narrow down the problem, would you please try the steps below check what happens.

1. Create a new outlook profile by clicking Control Panel -> Mail -> Show Profiles ->  "Add"

2. Add the Exchange Account of your mailbox in Office 365 into Outlook client referring to article Set Up E-Mail in Outlook 2010.

3. Add your Hotmail account into Outlook client with steps below.

--Click "File --> Info --> Account Settings --> New --> Other (Microsoft Outlook Hotmail Connector) --> Next" in Outlook.

--And then input the email address and password of your Hotmail mailbox.

4. Wait a moment to allow items in your Hotmail mailbox to be synced into Outlook.

If the problem persists, please post some screenshots of following information. So, we can understand the problem in more details.

a. A screenshot of the email accounts added into Outlook by clicking "File --> Info --> Account Settings".

b. A screenshot of the calendar folder in Outlook by clicking Calendar.

c. The screenshot of the error you encounter when adding Hotmail mailbox into Outlook

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Hi Kazzan,

We have not heard from you in a couple of days.

Please post back at your convenience if we can help further.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Hello, sorry for long time without answer, I just fineshed some tests (and Christmas Holidays) and publish results.

• Hello Jack Sun,

for your first question about some errors with adding this accounts. There were no errors.

I recently installed new and clean virtual machines for testing this (and do many times and with another ways). So I can say that this is clearly a matter of settings on the Microsoft Outlook.

I performed steps 1 to 4 and everything works fine, which is obvious and expected. To this part is all right. All works fine also in another order (first adding Hotmail account and after that Exchange account - Outlook set Exchange account as default).

Problem is in option to set the default account and data file that Outlook uses for data. If arrived appoitment or delegated task or contact is by default saved to default account and default data file.

Just assume that I have connected two accounts:

work@office365.com

home@hotmail.com

Work account is Office 365 account and as Exchange account is set as default data file and primary account. Home account is Hotmail account.

At Work account arrive meeting request, I accept it. It is saved to Work account calendar. Fine.

At Home account arrive meeting request, I accept it. It is saved to Work account calendar. Wrong.

It also same with contact cards and tasks. Everything is stored in default data file (account), not in proper account data file.

So in my case I have set up home account as primary and as default data file (it's my primary business e-mail and Office 365 accounts which I have is administrator for company which hires me).

There came error.

It says, that this account cant use PST. It must use PST with same formating as OST file. (If you add only Hotmail account alone, it works fine as default.)

So there is a solution, disable exchange cached mode and disable offline use for Office 365 account. After that can be Hotmail account set as default data file location. But in this is a glitch - with large number of emails came really fast slow down and instant search not work for this account.

Now is situation, if:

meeting request came to work account is saved to work calendar. Fine

meeting request came to home account is saved to home calendar. Fine

And on end. Unknown error with Messaging Interface remain. It shown everytime, when user choose write email from Office 365 account, then switch to Hotmail account and Outlook try to save draft (he cannot find right location to save).

So if this is by design of Outlook (and i can understand that), why Outlook can right email account in reply in received message and cannot save incoming things to properly accounts...

• Hi Kazzan,

I would like to confirm if the issue you encountered is like this:

You have connected your Office 365 account (work account) and Hotmail account (home account) in Outlook 2010. Work account is the primary account.

If a meeting request arrives for Work account, when you click Accept, it would go to your Work account's Calendar. That's correct.

If a meeting request arrives for Home account, when you click Accept, would it also go to your Work account's Calendar as you described?

Actually, I have tried to test this issue on my test computer. I have enabled Exchange Cached Mode and did not use Offline Mode for both the accounts in Outlook 2010. The primary account is an Office 365 account and the second account is a Hotmail account.

If a meeting request arrived for the primary account, when I click Accept, it would go to the primary account's Calendar.

If a meeting request arrived for the second account, when I click Accept, it would go to the second account's Calendar automatically. It would not go to the primary account's Calendar.

Therefore, I want to double confirm if when you accept the meeting request sent to your Home account, it would appear on your Work account's Calendar. Could you post a screen shot of it for us to have a clear view?

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Hi Anna Guo,

thanks for your time and response. I discuss this also with Hotmail support staff and we think that this behavior is resulted by setting own custom domain at Hotmail provided by Microsoft (not just ordinary Hotmail account) and implementing Windows Live Contacts. And also setting syncs for Windows Phone for this account as primary and also connecting Office 365 account to this, so there is a copy of this meeting in calendar, which is synced by default (Hotmail Calendar) - in Czech Republic was not Windows Phone fully supported for sync another Hotmail accounts before.

So, with default setting meeting of Outlook, meeting request is saved to right calendar. But if it user want his Hotmail account as primary account and primary data save location - to do bar show data only for primary calendar and also saving contact cards and tasks is do to the primary account. After this Exchange account cannot work as secondary right (as with POP3/IMAP account can, but they store file differently).

So conclusion is that Exchange Office 365 account can not be set as secondary account and Hotmail account as primary probably by design. I solved this by time by using virtualized another instance of Outlook with two separate accounts.

But if you want examine this behaviour, you can try set up your Hotmail account as default account and default data file (to show events from Hotmail calendar and tasks in to-do and default to new events in calendar).

• Hi Kazzan,

Thank you so much for your reply and the detailed additional feedback on how this issue could be resolved. This information would be added to the Microsoft database. I have also marked your answer as an answer for this issue. This is so others may benefit from the suggested resolution.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo