Office 2013 install fails - "Sorry, something went wrong.We ran into a problem. Please try installing Office again

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

I've been trying for days to get a working install for Office365 - Office ProPlusRetail - and I can't get it to work.  The first install hung and never finished.  The second appeared to be fine, but when I tried the programs they crashed.  When I tried to uninstall I got an error and ever since then, whether I try to install or uninstall I get error messages.  At the moment the program appears to be uninstalled but when I attempt an install I get "Sorry, something went wrong, We ran in to a problem. Please try installing Office again."  I've rebooted, I've tired Safe Mode, I've run every fixit I can find on the internet.

PLEASE PLEASE help!  This computer is for one of our teachers and he needs it!

All Replies
  • Hi Elizabeth,

I understand your feelings about this issue.

In order to narrow down this issue, I would like to confirm some information first:

1. Are you behind a proxy server or a firewall?

2. If you previously activate an Office 2013 program on the computer, please remove the existing product key:
    To remove existing product keys for an Office 2013 program, follow these steps:
    a. Open a Command Prompt window, and then take one of the following actions:
    - If you installed the 64-bit version of Office 2013, move to the following folder:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15
    - If you installed the 32-bit version of Office 2013, move to the following folder:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15
    b. Type the following command, and then press Enter:
    cscript ospp.vbs /dstatus
    c. Examine the output. Look for and locate the last five characters of the installed product key.
    d. Remove all product keys. To remove a product key, type the following command, and then press Enter:
    cscript ospp.vbs /unpkey: <Last five characters of product key>

3. Uninstall Office 2013 or Office 365 with this KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501.
    Note: You may have to use the manual steps in this article if you continue to have problems.

In addition, please make sure the computer meets the system requirements for Office 365 ProPlus.

If the issue persists, please provide a screenshot of the error message to us.

Thanks,
    Eben Liu

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hi Elizabeth,

Has the issue been sorted out?

If you need further help, please feel free to post back.

Thanks,
    Kevin Huang

• Thank you !  The response from Eben Liu fixed the problem and I'm extremely grateful!   I'm sorry for the delayed response.

Thank you,

Sister Elizabeth

• Eben, i have the same problem, in my case, Microsoft Lync2013 didn't come with my Microsoft office pack, i have installed lync 2013 as trial version by downloading separately.

Thanks for your valuable reply.

•  

Hi Arunraja,

As the issue differs under different situations, I recommend you create a new thread with the detailed description. It will involve a dedicated support engineer into discussing it with you. For your convenience, I provide the new thread link as below. I appreciate your understanding.
    https://community.office365.com/en-us/forums/default.aspx

Elizabeth, Glad to hear the issue has been resolved by the related information from Eben. I will carry the message to him. And it is our honor to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Charles Li

• Hi Charles, Thanks for your reply..

I fixed the problem by downloading Microsoft Lync 2013 again and tried installing without uninstalling old installation.

after installing problem got solved.

Thanks

Arun

• What are you on about?

b. Type the following command, and then press Enter:   cscript ospp.vbs /dstatus

It just says Input Error?