No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Access Web App?

This question is not answered This question is not answered
Will Access ever be available in web apps?
All Replies
  • Hello,

There are no current plans to bring in Access as a web-based application with Small Business licenses; you can see additional information below by a community contributor for Enterprise licenses.

Thanks,

Chase

• Yes, Access Web Services is part of the office 365 offering. I am currnet publishing Access databases to office 365.

The beta p1 does not have Access web services, but the E3 trial does. Furthermore, the replacement for office live small business will also support Access Web Services.

In the following video, note how at the half way point I switch to running the application 100% in the browser.

Albert D. Kallal  (Access MVP)

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

kallal@msn.com

• No, perhaps the best big news of SharePoint 2010 is that of Access Web applicagtions.

Please see my reponse and then take a look at:

blogs.office.com/.../access-web-databases-and-the-access-show.aspx

So, really, the big news in SharePoint 2010, and that of office 365 is that Access Applications from the client can be published to the web. Even more amazing is that code written in a Access form for the web gets converted into JavaScript and actually runs browser side. You can also publish server side code and business lodgic.

Keep in mind that NOTHING more then the Access 2010 client is required to develop these web based applications.

Edit:

>There are no current plans to bring in Access as a web-based application with Small Business licenses

As a followup, note that this is incorrect, and Access applications as web will be available for office 365, and what i read suggests that you not need Enterprise edition, but whateverr the replacement for office live small business becomes in 365 will have Access "as web" applications as an option.

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

kallal@msn.com

• you say "Furthermore, the replacement for office live small business will also support Access Web Services"

smallbusiness.officelive.com/en-us says that Office 365 is the replacement for Office Live Small Business

are you talking about the same thing ?

• Yes, I am talking about the same thing.

I guess I am pointing out that office 365 has QUITE a few offerings. There is the "P" or personal options, there is the "E" line for enterprise, and the small business offering.  There is even just an Exchange plan staring at $2 per month per user.

So, sure, we can call/say/hint/suggest/imply that this is all 365, but there are quite a few plans and offerings in that mix.

All I am saying is there is going to be an plan and offering in the 365 list of options that is tailored to replacing the office live small business offering and that 365 offering will include Access Web services.

So there will be a 365 offering that will be the suggested replacement for office live small business and it will include Access Web Services.  

Right now, those who signed up for Beta (p1) to my knowledge do NOT have Access Web Services available. Those who signed up for Enterpirse beta (and that beta gives the E3 plan) do in fact have Access Web services. I am using it and it works fine (only part not enabled yet is web reports).

So, it would make no sense to just state this is "just" office 365 then it would make sense to state that GM going to offer a car. The issue here is what features and options are included with the particular 365 plan you purchase and sign up for.

I suppose a really good question here is will the p1 plan offer or have Access Web services, or is it just being left out of the beta?

Some material does suggest that p1 plan should have Access Web services but the beta plan does not seem to have Access Web Services. So, I thinking one will have to wait until the plan for small business, or sign up for Enterprise to get Access Web Servcies.

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

kallal@msn.com