No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

I can not install office 365 on my Windows XP machine

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)
I'm trying to install office 365 on my windows xp machine and keep getting an error code telling me it's not a valid Win32 application. I've checked and made sure that my computer is 32-bit and I'm installing the 32-bit version...any ideas?
All Replies
  • I am not the world's expert on this, but I can tell you that Office 2013 desktop applications are not compatible with Windows XP, and it may be these that are tripping your installation up. I had a similar experience trying to install Office 365 from the web on a user's machine, based on a Microsoft web page that says Office 365 is compatible with Windows XP, so long as it has a particular Service Pack installed. Sorry I can't remember the exact details...Suffice to say, this advice does not apply to the Office 2013 desktop applications themselves. Extremely irritating, but true. I don't know what parts of OFfice 365 ARE compatible with XP...Perhaps this guidance was in reference to the Web applications, such as the in-browser Word and Excel applications? Either way, the desktop versions certainly are not XP compatible. And this is not made as clear as it could be Microsoft in my view.

• HI,

The web based parts of Office 365 can run on just about anything with a newer browser, how ever the install is trying to install Office 2013, and that will only install and run on Windows 7 and 8.