No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Onenote 365 will no longer sync, keeps popping up password prompt

This question is answered This question is answered

I have Onenote 2013 with a notebook stored on an Office 365's sharepoint site.  Until this week, it's been working fine, but now nothing finishes syncing and I constantly get "Onenote needs a password to sync this notebook" error in Onenote.  I'm also having issues with Outlook 2013 popping up password prompts, as well.

I've done the recommended delete credentials in the credential manager, even closed the notebook, and now it tries to open and immediately fails with the password problem.

Are there solutions for this?

Verified Answer
  • After I uninstalled the office patches from last patch day it worked again. Then I tested various combinations. At the end I only had to uninstall KB2768349 and KB2768355.

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • Did you happen to install the latest patches for Office 2013 released on Tuesday?

• Yes, I did.   Might be worth uninstalling them?

• Potentially, there is some similar noise @ community.office365.com/.../147634.aspx regarding Microsoft Word not being able to access documents in SharePoint hosted on Office 365. I have issues with any of the Office RT apps on my Surface with failed authentication which sounds similar to what you're experiencing.

One person did uninstall the updates which worked initially but found that SharePoint stopped working completely after a while.

• Hi HiHughes,

Please make you have tried to install the updates to update the configurations in your computer from the following links:http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_sustained_engineering/, then try to open the OneNote again to see if there is any improvement.

If the issue persist, please let me know which version of Office 365 you are using and capture a screenshot of the error message for further troubleshooting.

Thanks,
    Vivian Wang

• The updates were already installed.  

Which version?  Sure, I can tell you that if you tell me exactly which information you want (ie, where to find it- there are a lot of version numbers on this thing).  

As for screenshot - it's just the bar at the top of Onenote that says "Onenote needs a password to sync this notebook"

• Hi HiHughes,

Which version of Office 365 you are using? Office 365 for Small Business Premium or Office 365 for Enterprises or any other versions?
    You can try to repair Office to see if there is any improvement.

Thanks,
    Vivian Wang

• We are using Plan P1. I believe that is Small Business.

Have already repaired with no success.

• Hi HiHughes,

To troubleshoot this issue, I suggest you do the following steps:

1. Please install the latest Microsoft Office service pack.

2. Please install the latest version of Office 365 Desktop Setup to check if it works. To install  Office 365 Desktop Setup, please refer to the following link:

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../ff637594.aspx

Thanks,

Jerry Cen

• Hi HiHughes,

How is everything going? Did Jerry’s reply answer you?

Thanks,
    Vivian Wang

• I have the same problem since a few days. When I click on "OneNote needs a password to this notebook. Click here to enter your password" I get the Sign-In Dialog. I constantly get this dialog after I entered the correct password. I have Office 2013 installed and Outlook 2010. I do not get the password prompt in Outlook like HilHughes maybe because I have OL 2010 installed.

Windows Update installed some Office updates on 14th. 

Any hints how to fix this are appreciated.

• No, that didn't help at all.

• Hi HilHughes and StefanGi,

Please make sure this account have corresponding permission of the file you opened. Also, I’d like to confirm if the same issue occurred to other users.

Thanks,
    Vivian Wang

• After I uninstalled the office patches from last patch day it worked again. Then I tested various combinations. At the end I only had to uninstall KB2768349 and KB2768355.

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• You were dead on, StefanG.  Uninstalling KB2768349 and KB2768355 worked.  MS really needs to pull these updates asap and figure this out.

• Hi HilHughes and StefanG,

I am glad that things are going well from your side, and thanks for sharing the information here. I believe this can benefit others who are having the similar problems.

Best Regards,

Cherry Wang