No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Problems Adding Exchange Online Account to Outlook 2010

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

I have recently decided to upgrade the current systems in my office from Exchange 2003 to Exchange Online, as well as from Office 2003 to Office 2010. I haven't migrated any old mailboxes over as I am now using a new personal domain and want to keep the two separate. However when I go to add these new email accounts to Outlook 2010 on each machine, some will accept them fine and work straight away but others will say that they have been accepted, then ask me to restart Outlook and continually ask me to enter the password for the account. This happens over and over until I click cancel, which throws up an error message about how it could not connect to the server.

Has anyone else had any problems such as this?

Thanks

All Replies
  • Hi Michael,

As I understand it, Outlook 2010 continues asking password after you have added Office 365 account.

Before moving on, I would like to know which Office 365 plan you are using.

To troubleshoot the issue, you can try the following suggestions:

1. Run Desktop Setup in these users’ computer before the users open Outlook, please refer to the following link: http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-smallbusinesses/ff637537.aspx

2. Make sure the Always prompt for logon credentials box is unchecked. You can refer to the following steps:
    a. Open Outlook 2010>Click File>Account Settings>Account Settings…
    b. Click the E-mail tab>click the Exchange Online mailbox>click Change…
    c. Click More Settings…>Click the Security tab, make sure the Always prompt for logon credentials box is unchecked.

3. Create a new profile and re-add the Office 365 account to see if there is any improvement.
    How to create and configure email profiles in Outlook: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918
    Set Up E-Mail in Outlook 2010 or Outlook 2013: http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd253202.aspx

Thanks,
    Anna Shi

• Hi Anna,

Thank you for your reply. I am currently just using Exchange Online Plan 1, with 9 user plans associated with it. I have run all of the steps that you have suggested but still on a few of the computers that I am trying to add the individual accounts to, once adding and restarting Outlook 2010, the username and password box keeps popping up, over and over again preventing the account from being setup on there. These are all Windows 7 machines as well. I have tried these specific Exchange Online accounts on other machines and I am able to add them to those outlook accounts, but I'm not quite sure where the fault lies.

I cannot change the account settings to stop prompting for logon credentials as the account will not properly set up on these computers and I have also tried creating a new profile for Exchange Online, yet the logon credentials box persistently appears.

Thanks

Michael

• Hi Michael,

Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you delete personal credentials to see if there is any improvement:

If you are running Windows 7, please also remove the user’s stored credentials in Windows Credential Manager. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Credential Manager.
    2. Locate the set of credentials that is used to connect to Exchange. The credentials should be shown as MS.Outlook: username@domain.onmicrosoft.com or username@yourvanitydomain.com
    3. Expand the set of credentials, and then select Remove from Vault.

In addition, when you mentioned that the issue only occurs on Windows 7 machines, please make sure if the issue will persist when you add these Office 365 accounts in other computers. If not, it indicates that the accounts work well. The issue may be related to the settings with the Windows 7 machines.

Thanks,
    Anna Shi

• Hi Michael,

How are things going? Do you need further assistance with the issue?

Thanks,
    Anna Shi