No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Sharpoint Workspace

• 4 Followers
  • 14 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

We have recently moved to Office365 and use Sharepoint Online for most of our file sharing.  Each workstation has the Office 2010 Pro Plus installed with Sharepoint Workspaces being utilized heavily. 

Question 1:

When a Sharepoint Workspace is opened, all folders are fully expanded, making it cumbersome to navigate. Some of our "Teams" work with multiple documents daily and organize them in separate folders (within the Workspace). Is there a way to have the Workspace open with the Folder structure collapsed down to the root folders? 

Question 2:

As stated above, many of the documents we use are stored within Sharepoint.  When creating a new message within Outlook and then clicking the "Paper Clip" to Attach File, the Sharepoint workspaces are not listed as available sources.  We know you can "right click" a file within the Workspace, select "Send to" > "Mail Recipient" as a work around, but that does not work if you are attaching multiple documents, from separate Workspace folders, to the same Email message.  Our users are accustomed to Outlook and the "Attach File" feature.  I was under the assumption that Sharepoint and All Office applications including Outlook were fully integrated and could be used together.  How do I get Sharepoint Workspaces shown, within Outlook, as being a source for files to be inserted as an Email attachment? 

• Post Points: 50
Verified Answer
  • Hello Rene,

Thanks for your feedback. On my way is using Webdav service of SharePoint Online to conenct the docuemtn library as a network driver. I have updated the detail information below ,you can take a look the following steps  :

1: Login to SharePoint Site and open the document library , then open it with Explorer

2: Copy the URL address and map it to your local network driver.

3, Once it finished, you will find that there is a local network driver on your computer

* You can use it before restarting your computer.

4, After restart the computer, that local network driver will disconnect (the system lost the session with Office365)

5, However, when we login to SharePoint Workspace and click on/open one of the files in the sub-folder.

6, Your computer will get the session to connect SharePoint Online site again. You can go back to see the status of that network driver.

7, Go to outlook and try to attach your file which in the SharePoint Online library.

Thanks,
    Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hello Doyle,

The feature you required is currently unavailable in Microsoft SharePoint Workspace. However, I have a work-around solution of this issue. You can check the detail information below:

Mapping the documents library as your local network driver first, to do this please follow the following command:  net use * http://your_domain.sharepoint.com/your_docLib/

Once it finished and we login to Microsoft SharePoint Workspace, then open one of the sub folders.  Our computer will get the session to visit the SharePoint Online library via our local network driver.  Using this local network driver, the users can find the files same as  using the local folder . On the other hand, it’s an available resource for Outlook client.

Best Regards,
    Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
  • Hi Doyle,

as for question 1, this is not possible. By default, all folders are expanded, and this cannot be changed.

As for Question 2, as Neo Zhu said, this is not available. I just checked if adding a Workspace to my Favourites works, but even though the favourite shows up, its contents are empty:

So you'd have to do it with the above mentioned workaround, though that would also mean that you don't have an offline copy if you stop using Workspaces

Rene Modery (MVP)
    modery.net  | Twitter  | Linkedin
    • Top 150 Contributor
  • Hello Rene,

Thanks for your feedback. On my way is using Webdav service of SharePoint Online to conenct the docuemtn library as a network driver. I have updated the detail information below ,you can take a look the following steps  :

1: Login to SharePoint Site and open the document library , then open it with Explorer

2: Copy the URL address and map it to your local network driver.

3, Once it finished, you will find that there is a local network driver on your computer

* You can use it before restarting your computer.

4, After restart the computer, that local network driver will disconnect (the system lost the session with Office365)

5, However, when we login to SharePoint Workspace and click on/open one of the files in the sub-folder.

6, Your computer will get the session to connect SharePoint Online site again. You can go back to see the status of that network driver.

7, Go to outlook and try to attach your file which in the SharePoint Online library.

Thanks,
    Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
  • I just remembered that it's also possible to drag files from SharePoint Workspace into an Outlook email, so you could also try to do it that way,  Doyle.

Rene Modery (MVP)
    modery.net  | Twitter  | Linkedin
    • Top 150 Contributor
  • Hello Doyle,

How are you? I just want to ensure you didn't encounter any trouble during the troubleshooting. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Thanks,
    Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
  • I apprectiate all the responses.  The suggestion to set a mapping to the Sharepoint sites has worked well and seems to be a good work-around for the Outlook issue.

I really hope Microsoft plans to add a "Collapse Folders" option in future Sharepoint Workspace updates.

Thanks Again,

Doyle Donegan, CIO

Payroll Management, Inc.

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Doyle,

Thanks for your feedback.  I would like you can submit a feedback at mymfe.microsoft.com/.../Feedback.aspx

Thanks,
    Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
  • As a Office365 user for well over a year now I find it amazing how many times in these forums the standard MS answer appears along the lines of "this action is by default and cannot be changed''.

Doesn't MS take on-board that these are PROBLEMS their paying customers are having every day - the particular issue with SharePoint Workspace opening with all it's folders expanded is a real pain that I can't believe is not a 15 min job for a MS programmer to resolve.

Office365 with Windows 7 and Office 2010 are a suit of really good products which with a little fine tuning - such as above, could be great.

Thanks, Nick

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Hi Woodelf,

Thanks for your post. Did you have any question regarding this feature, if so I'd like you can create a new thread. Our SEs are willing to help. As I know,we have the solution for this case now.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
  • Hello Neo,

Re. Workspace opening with all it's folders expanded - I've searched & searched but failed to find a solution. Are you saying we have one now?

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Hi Woodelf,

I'm saying is you can directly use network driver to link the SharePoint Lib/list, then you can find the files in that folder.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
  • Hi Neo,

Thanks and sorry for being a bit pedantic, but as the go-to-guy for IT in our small company and after pushing through the migration onto Office365 early last year. I'm trying to find answers to my colleagues problems.

Our mobile users used to take NAS files with them via 'off-line files', but this was fraught with problems due to sync issues when returning to the office one or two weeks latter, not to mention problems with users stationed overseas.

So I had assumed(!) SharePoint Workspace would be our solution - but the syncing also appears to be an issue here (but that's another story) so I'd at least like to resolve the usage issues such as the default view with all folders expanded.

If, as you advise we map the SharePoint list to a local drive - when a user goes off-line, will this list still be available via the mapping through the Workspace or only via the Workspace interface... if you see what I'm getting at, we don't want two different systems, just one place to seamlessly access the data regardless of whether the user is on or off-line.

Thanks,

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Hi Woodelf,

Thanks for getting me back. I have read and understand your situation. Could you please create a thread with the information above? For this thread, it was close.  I'm thinking our SEs are willing to help.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
  • Hi Neo,

OK, I've started a new thread here http://community.office365.com/en-us/forums/172/p/59672/220464.aspx#220464

Thanks.

• Top 500 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)