No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Cannot open Web Office Excel or Powerpoint files in their respective desktop versions of the application

• 2 Followers
  • 5 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

In O365, I can open and edit Excel and Powerpoint files in their respective Web Apps.  However, when I click on the "Open in Excel" or "Open in Powerpoint" option of the Web App, a message window pops up with the following:  "To open this workbook, your computer must have a version of Microsoft Excel (or Powerpoint) installed and your Web browser must support opening files directly from Excel (or Powerpoint) in the browser."

The really strange part of this is that Word works without any problems.  I can open a Word file in the Web App and then click on "Open in Word" and the file will open up in my MS Word 2010 desktop application.  Lastly, for reference I'm using Windows 7 on a MacBook Pro/OSX Lion via Parallels.  I've seen this question in the forum before, but I haven't seen an answer that details the fix.  I apologize if I'm missing a posted answer somewhere within the "community".

• Post Points: 35
Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hello,

To troubleshoot the issue, please refer to the following steps:
    1. Please download the Excel and PowerPoint files and open them with their respective Office Desktop applications. If some problems occurs, please reinstall Office 2010.
    2. Please run setup and configure the Office Desktop apps by the following link:
    https://portal.microsoftonline.com/download/default.aspx
    3. Please add the site into “Trusted sites” and see if “Open in PowerPoint (Or Excel)” can work properly.
    4. Please “Open in PowerPoint (Or Excel)” in 32 bit Internet Explorer to see if it works.
    If the issue persists, please provide the detailed information about the issue.
    1. Have these files can be opened with their respective Office Desktop applications previously?
    2. Can these files be opened with their respective Office Desktop applications on another PC whose operation system is Windows?

Best wishes,
    Claud
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Male
    • Post Points: 0
  • Hi Claud,

Here are my replies to your steps above:

1.  Downloaded .xlsx and .pptx files from O365 to the desktop and was able to open them with their respective Office Desktop applications.

2.  Reran the setup and configure utilizing the link provided above - no changes.

3.  My site was already listed as a Trusted Site.

4.  My IE9 is the 32-bit version

I'm not sure what else to say other than I'm still experiencing the problem detailed above and that Word continues to function as expected when choosing to "Open in Word" from the Web App.  If I had to hazard a guess, it seems that the configuration steps of the download process are not modifying the connection between the Excel and Powerpoint Web Apps and Desktop Apps.

One more thing to add.  When in the O365 Web App and I click on the "Open in Excel/Powerpoint", a window opens that asks "How would I like to open this file?" and gives me the choice of Read Only or Edit.  I've chosen both options with the same results:  "To open this workbook, your computer must have a version of Microsoft Excel
    installed and your Web browser must support opening files directly from Excel in
    the browser."

• Not Ranked
  • Hello,

Thanks very much for your feedback and detailed information about the issue.
    Based on the current situation, to narrow down the possible reasons of the issue, please provide the following information.
    1. Has these files been opened by “Open in PowerPoint/Excel” ever before?
    2. Please try if “Open in PowerPoint/Excel” works on another computer running with Windows Operating System.
    3. The detailed information of your current IE9, such as

In addition, based on the current situation, we recommend using SharePoint Workspace to manage these documents and open these files in SharePoint Workspace directly by using their respective Office Desktop applications.
    For more detailed information about synchronizing a SharePoint workspace with a SharePoint site
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-online-small-business-help/synchronize-sharepoint-content-with-sharepoint-workspace-HA101967275.aspx?CTT=1#_Toc263166753

Best regards,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hello,

Is everything working properly now?
    In addition, do you need further assistance?

Best regards,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Male
  • For opening powerpoint files you should try following utility http://www.powerpoint.fixtoolbox.com

application restores .ppt(x) files on any computer in the network

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)