Terminal server

• 9 Followers
  • 16 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Hello,

my customer has a terminalserver or RDS- environment. I want to install Office from the cloud on the terminalserver. Where do i get the software for this?

please advise

Gijs

• Post Points: 50
Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hello

Office 2010 product which is part of the Office 365 subscription CAN'T be installed in a TSE environment

Benoit HAMET

Senior Solutions Architect

MVP Office 365 - MCITP Office 365 - Microsoft Community Contributor

Blog - Twitter

• Top 75 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
    Suggested by
  • Hello Gijs,

Unlike managed volume-licensed environments, currently, Office Professional Plus for Office 365 cannot use Microsoft Application Virtualization (App-V) or Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services as deployment options. Because Office Professional Plus for Office 365 is based on the Retail SKU, it cannot be installed on a Terminal Server.
    In addition, to deploy Office 2010 in a Remote Desktop Services environment (formerly known as Terminal Services):
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff506201.aspx
    In the meantime, to deploy Office Professional Plus for Office 365:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg998766.aspx

Thanks for your understanding,
    Claud  

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Hello,

Do you need other assistance about Office Professional Plus for Office 365?

Best regards,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Thanks - this was the first post I read on this question and you have answered it!

• Not Ranked
  • The above answer is now out of date. As of Jan 2013 Microsoft have changed the Product Use Rights for Office365, you can now use it with RDS.

Check out www.microsoftvolumelicensing.com/DocumentSearch.aspx

Under Office 365 ProPlus (page 81/82 in my local version)

"3. Each user may also use one of the five activations on a network server with the Remote Desktop Services (RDS) role enabled."

Regards

Paul

• Not Ranked
  • To ensure I understand the answers given here, am I correct in concluding that:

1.  A volume license of Office 2010 Standard or

2.  E3 Office 365 licenses [a.k.a Office 2010 Professional Plus]

can be installed for Office 365 in a Terminal server environment?

Thank you in advance.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi OrionAdmin,

From the article above, it seems that it doesn’t include the official information about whether Office Professional Plus for Office 365 is supported in a Terminal server environment.
    For further assistance about it, I suggest posting the question in a new thread in the forum. After that, our support engineer will help you in the new thread.

Thanks,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
  • There is actually two issues here.  Firstly the Product Use Rights now "allow" you to utilise one of the 5 activations as a license on an RDS server.  The second issue is how you install Office on the RDS server - the downloadable version from Office365 will not install on an RDS server only a Volume edition will do that.  So in our environment we still maintain a single Office Pro Plus license to install on the RDS server.

• Not Ranked
    Suggested by
  • And how do the Office365 account admin then get a Office Pro Plus VL key for installation of Office Pro Plus 2013 on a terminal server? Afaik the VL key is not available on the Office365 admin-page....

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Ullerdk,

As Claud mentioned in the above post, it seems that it doesn’t include the official information about whether Office Professional Plus for Office 365 is supported in a Terminal server environment.

I suggest posting the question in a new thread in the forum. After that, our support engineer will help you in the new thread.

Thanks,
    Allen Qiu

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Wait, what?

How can you way that it "doesn't include the official information" when it is a Use Rights document updated as of March 2013 provided directly from Microsoft? Are the documents that Microsoft provides not "official"? Or are you saying that you believe that it is a mistake and inaccurate information is being provided in those documents?

Here is a collection of information I've gathered.

Online Services Use Right (updated Jan 2013) and the points listed for Office ProPlus for Office 365 from that document are on page 18:

INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS

1. Each user to whom you assign a User SL may activate the software for local or remote use on up to five concurrent OSEs.
    2. The licensed user may also use the software activated by another user under a different User SL.
    3. You may allow other users to remotely access the software solely to provide support services.

Another Use Rights document found HERE (also updated as of Jan 2013) which is ALL product use rights, has different information. On Page 81-82:

1. Each user to whom you assign a User SL may activate the software for local or remote use on up to five concurrent OSEs.
    2. The Licensed User may also use the software activated by another user under a different User SL.
    3. Each user may also use one of the five activations on a network server with the Remote Desktop Services (RDS) role enabled.*
    4. You may allow other users to remotely access the software solely to provide support services.
    * Please see the Product List for deployment options when using RDS.

If you refer to the PRODUCT LIST documentation that has been updates as of March 2013, it states the following:

Media Eligibility with Remote Desktop Services (RDS)
    If the user to whom you have assigned an Office 365 ProPlus license uses the software on a network server with RDS role enabled, in lieu of installing a copy of the software provided with Office 365 ProPlus on one of the five permitted devices pursuant to the Product Use Rights for Office 365 ProPlus, that user may 1) install one copy of the Office Professional Plus 2013 software on a network server and 2) access the Office Professional Plus 2013 software from any device. Upon termination of your Office 365 ProPlus subscription you must uninstall Office Professional Plus 2013 software from the network server.

Media Eligibility with Windows To Go Rights
    As part of the introduction of Windows To Go Rights, if the user to whom you have assigned an Office 365 ProPlus license invokes the right to use software under Windows to Go Rights, in lieu of installing a copy of the software provided with Office 365 ProPlus on one of the five permitted devices pursuant to the Product Use Rights for Office 365 ProPlus, that user may 1) install one copy of the Office Professional Plus 2013 software on the USB drive used for Windows to Go Rights, and 2) use the Office Professional Plus 2013 software on that USB drive on any device. Upon termination of your Office 365 ProPlus subscription you must uninstall Office Professional Plus 2013 software from the USB drive.

• Not Ranked
  • Wait, what?

How can you way that it "doesn't include the official information" when it is a Use Rights document updated as of March 2013 provided directly from Microsoft? Are the documents that Microsoft provides not "official"? Or are you saying that you believe that it is a mistake and inaccurate information is being provided in those documents?

Here is a collection of information I've gathered.

Online Services Use Right (updated Jan 2013) and the points listed for Office ProPlus for Office 365 from that document are on page 18:

2. The licensed user may also use the software activated by another user under a different User SL.
    3. You may allow other users to remotely access the software solely to provide support services.

Another Use Rights document found HERE (also updated as of Jan 2013) which is ALL product use rights, has different information. On Page 81-82:

2. The Licensed User may also use the software activated by another user under a different User SL.
    3. Each user may also use one of the five activations on a network server with the Remote Desktop Services (RDS) role enabled.*
    4. You may allow other users to remotely access the software solely to provide support services.
    * Please see the Product List for deployment options when using RDS.

If you refer to the PRODUCT LIST documentation that has been updates as of March 2013, it states the following:

Media Eligibility with Remote Desktop Services (RDS)
    If the user to whom you have assigned an Office 365 ProPlus license uses the software on a network server with RDS role enabled, in lieu of installing a copy of the software provided with Office 365 ProPlus on one of the five permitted devices pursuant to the Product Use Rights for Office 365 ProPlus, that user may 1) install one copy of the Office Professional Plus 2013 software on a network server and 2) access the Office Professional Plus 2013 software from any device. Upon termination of your Office 365 ProPlus subscription you must uninstall Office Professional Plus 2013 software from the network server.

Media Eligibility with Windows To Go Rights
    As part of the introduction of Windows To Go Rights, if the user to whom you have assigned an Office 365 ProPlus license invokes the right to use software under Windows to Go Rights, in lieu of installing a copy of the software provided with Office 365 ProPlus on one of the five permitted devices pursuant to the Product Use Rights for Office 365 ProPlus, that user may 1) install one copy of the Office Professional Plus 2013 software on the USB drive used for Windows to Go Rights, and 2) use the Office Professional Plus 2013 software on that USB drive on any device. Upon termination of your Office 365 ProPlus subscription you must uninstall Office Professional Plus 2013 software from the USB drive.

• Not Ranked
  • Perhaps I'm misunderstanding some things but since you can install Office ProPlus for Office 365 on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2012, wouldn't it be pretty straight forward? A copy could be installed on the users network share and accessed via RDP. I just tested it out with the trial and installing was simple and accessing it via RDP was simple. Just not sure if it is "allowed", although the Use Rights seem to indicate it is.

• Not Ranked
  • Perhaps I'm misunderstanding some things but since you can install Office ProPlus for Office 365 on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2012, wouldn't it be pretty straight forward? A copy could be installed on the users network share and accessed via RDP. I just tested it out with the trial and installing was simple and accessing it via RDP was simple. Just not sure if it is "allowed", although the Use Rights seem to indicate it is.

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1|2|