No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Power pivot and SharePoint Online

• I would like to use excel to generate a graph based on the content in a SharePoint list and then have the excel graph embedded on the SharePoint list. I have discovered that the list datasource isn’t updated automatically since I have uploaded the excel document and made changes to my list. I found this snippet on the Power Pivot site “If you have ever tried to use Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 lists as a data source for Excel Services in SharePoint, you know that it does not work.” which explains this behavior. 

I have found this White Paper on “Using SharePoint List Data in PowerPivot” but it is mentioned that if you are using Microsoft Office 365, you cannot access list data in the Atom format. This is a current limitation.” It is however possible to access the list data in Atom format using this URL http://<sharePointsiteName>/_vti_bin/ListData.svc/<ListName>. I have done this with success in the browser but if I try to use Power Pivot connect to the data source as described in the guide I get an “The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden..”

Is it possible to enable the Power Pivot in SharePoint Online? Does it require an specific plan to enable this? Or is there another way to achive the functionally that excel provices(aggregating list data).

It is not possible to use the Graph webpart since I need to aggregate the data in the list.

• Hi Henrik,

I'm looking into this for you to see if it's possible. As soon as I am able to get an answer, I'll reach out to you to let you know the outcome and the why's and why-nots.

• Hi Henrik,

I'm still looking into this, but in the meantime, I wanted to share our Developer Guide with you to see if it could point you in the direction you need to go.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=4387e030-73dc-48e7-ac95-abc043b9335a

• Hi John, thank you for your replies. 

I have found a workaround for now as the current  requirements from the customer allowed a simpler solution. We basically needed a graph based on aggregated data from a sharepoint list.

I have written a blog entry here.

http://henrikonsharepoint.blogspot.com/2011/08/quick-dyi-chart-webpart.html

I have from the customer been told that PowerPivot in SharePoint Online is currently not available and that it was during the beta it was possible to use this feature. It would be nice to know when it will be possible to use this in SharePoint Online and also from which plans it can be used as it will allow for more advanced graphs and easier for the customer to adjust. 

• Hi Henrik,

You're very welcome!  I'm glad that you were able to find a solution to work around PowerPivot currently being unavailable for SharePoint Online.

At the moment, I don't have a timeline as to when this feature will be re-enabled, though.