No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Outlook keeps asking for password

• 4 Followers
  • 8 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Hello,

i have a problem with a few users that thier outlook keeps asking for password everytime they open the outlook, i checked if the microsoft online services sign in installed and it doesn't and i made sure that sign in assitant is installed but it keeps asking for password and it's very annoying.

please help!!!

Thanks.  

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hi mendi,

Based on your description, I would like to confirm if the current situation is that you have connected Outlook desktop to some users' Office 365 accounts. However, Outlook desktop always asks for the user's login credentials.

If this is the case, I would suggest you first check if these users' password has expired. For this situation, you need to help reset her password to fix this issue.

If this is not the case, this issue can be caused if one of the following factors is true:

1. The Always prompt for logon credentials box is checked.

2. Office 365 Desktop Setup has not been run, or the Microsoft Online Services Sign In Assistant is out of date.

3. The personal certificate needs to be refreshed.

Based on this situation, please perform the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.  

Check Outlook settings

1. Open Outlook 2010. Click File>Account Settings>Account Settings.

2. Click the E-mail tab, click the Exchange Online mailbox, click Change…

3. Click More Settings…. Click the Security tab, make sure the Always prompt for logon credentials box is unchecked.

Run Office 365 Desktop Setup Apps

please log in Office 365 portal, click Downloads under Resources on the right panel, and then click Set up under Set up and configure your Office desktop apps.

Delete the personal credentials

If you are running Windows 7, please also remove the user’s stored credentials in Windows Credential Manager. To do this, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Credential Manager.

b. Locate the set of credentials that is used to connect to Exchange. The credentials should be shown as MS.Outlook: username@domain.onmicrosoft.com or username@your vanity domain.com

c. Expand the set of credentials, and then select Remove from Vault.

If the issue still could not resolve, you could try to re-create an email profile for this user in Outlook desktop.

Please refer to the KB below for how to achieve this:

How to create and configure an email profile in Outlook 2010, Outlook 2007, and Outlook 2003

support.microsoft.com/.../829918

However, if Outlook desktop asks users to type in their username and password for only once when they launch it in the morning and then it works fine for the rest of the day, it is normal at start up.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hi mendi,

Based on your description, I would like to confirm if the current situation is that you have connected Outlook desktop to some users' Office 365 accounts. However, Outlook desktop always asks for the user's login credentials.

If this is the case, I would suggest you first check if these users' password has expired. For this situation, you need to help reset her password to fix this issue.

If this is not the case, this issue can be caused if one of the following factors is true:

1. The Always prompt for logon credentials box is checked.

2. Office 365 Desktop Setup has not been run, or the Microsoft Online Services Sign In Assistant is out of date.

3. The personal certificate needs to be refreshed.

Based on this situation, please perform the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.  

Check Outlook settings

1. Open Outlook 2010. Click File>Account Settings>Account Settings.

2. Click the E-mail tab, click the Exchange Online mailbox, click Change…

3. Click More Settings…. Click the Security tab, make sure the Always prompt for logon credentials box is unchecked.

Run Office 365 Desktop Setup Apps

please log in Office 365 portal, click Downloads under Resources on the right panel, and then click Set up under Set up and configure your Office desktop apps.

Delete the personal credentials

If you are running Windows 7, please also remove the user’s stored credentials in Windows Credential Manager. To do this, follow these steps:

b. Locate the set of credentials that is used to connect to Exchange. The credentials should be shown as MS.Outlook: username@domain.onmicrosoft.com or username@your vanity domain.com

c. Expand the set of credentials, and then select Remove from Vault.

If the issue still could not resolve, you could try to re-create an email profile for this user in Outlook desktop.

Please refer to the KB below for how to achieve this:

How to create and configure an email profile in Outlook 2010, Outlook 2007, and Outlook 2003

support.microsoft.com/.../829918

However, if Outlook desktop asks users to type in their username and password for only once when they launch it in the morning and then it works fine for the rest of the day, it is normal at start up.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
  • hello,

Thanks for the answer.

i see the last sentence "However, if Outlook desktop asks users to type in their username and password for only once when they launch it in the morning and then it works fine for the rest of the day, it is normal at start up."

what if i do not want it to happening every morning?

our users don't know thier password, and it's not asking for credentials on all of the computers, why is that?

thanks.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi mendi,

Thanks for your reply.

If you do not want to have the pop-up message which asks for username and password, you could check the Windows Credential Manager and make sure your credentials that is used to connect to Exchange has already been stored there.

b. Locate the set of credentials that is used to connect to Exchange. The credentials should be shown as MS.Outlook: username@domain.onmicrosoft.com or username@yourvanitydomain.com

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • thanks.

i will do so.

what about Win XP, is there the Credential Manager in that OS or it's called other name ?

• Not Ranked
  • Hi mendi,

For Windows XP, please check "Stored User Names and Passwords" if the credentials for Outlook have been stored successfully. If it has not been stored here, please add it in it manually.

For steps about how to achieve this, please refer to the KB article below:

support.microsoft.com/.../306541

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • Hi mendi,

How are things going?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
  • If you are experiencing this issue and had BPOS prior to Office 365, Please see this post.  The autodiscover has some leftover entires.

community.office365.com/.../183173.aspx

• Not Ranked
  • "However, if Outlook desktop asks users to type in their username and password for only once when they launch it in the morning and then it works fine for the rest of the day, it is normal at start up."

Can you expand on this?  This is exactly what my users are seeing and we don't want it.

And we've gone through all of the steps in this article and none of them are stopping Outlook from asking for our passwords.

I even looked at this post:

www.brucebnews.com/.../persistent-outlook-password-prompts-from-office-365

It doesn't apply either.  We've tried everything.

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)