No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

In Outlook my documents say they are offline but I'm connected

• 1 Follower
  • 5 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Hi

I am connected through Lync and in Outlook it says "Connected to Microsoft Exchange" but when I click on a document through Outlook and it opens up in Word or Excel it says the document is Offline.

What do I need to do to get my documents to automatically upload as opposed to having to save them to the Sharepoint Drafts folder?

Thanks

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hi AimeeW,

This is Jonis from Microsoft SharePoint Online Support.

When you login and authenticate to SharePoint Online for office 365, a Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML) security token is created.  The links to your SharePoint Online sites are valid for the lifetime of the security token, which is every 2 hours.  If you select the Keep Me Signed In option, then the lifetime of the SAML security token is increased to 12 hours.  When the token expires, the only way to access your sites is to log back into SharePoint Online.  On reboot, if you clear the cache automatically, you remove the security token and will need to login to SharePoint Online again.

Test the Keep Me Signed In option, to see if it helps resolve the offline issue.

If that does not answer your question please let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread for a few days and will reply to any additional posts or questions.

Jonis Estrem

Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support

• Top 75 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hi AimeeW,

Depending on the version of Microsoft Office you are using there are a number of possible answers.

If you are using the Office Professional Plus in Office 365, SharePoint Workspace 2010 application, then you have enabled the synchronize of your files.  This allows you to have offline access to them.

The only way that I know of, to open a document in Outlook, is as an attachment to an e-mail.  Please describe the process you used to open the file in Outlook.

Are you looking to save files received as email attachments directly to your SharePoint sites?

please reply with additional information, as I will continue to monitor this thread for a few days and will reply to any additional posts or questions.

Jonis Estrem

• Top 75 Contributor
  • HI

We are running Office Professional Plus in Office 365. You can choose to add the document library to Outlook through the Office 365 Portal. Once you so that the files become available to open and edit by double clicking on them through Outlook. It's on page 53 of the Microsoft Office 365 Trial Guide. Even when I set up the Sharepoint Workspace they appear 'offline' when you click on them through Outlook. I am connect to Lync and Outlook says connected to Exchange Server so therefore the documents are online and should not appear offline and have to be to be saved to a 'Drafts' folder and then manual upload the files.

I had an account with Office 365 for personal use and the documents didn't appear 'offline' through Outlook.

Thanks

• Not Ranked
  • Hi AimeeW,

With Office Professional Plus in Office 365, it is recommended that you configure your Outlook 2010 desktop application to connect to Office 365.  The following link details how-to Connect Office 365 to your Outlook desktop application.

If that does not answer your question please let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread for a few days and will reply to any additional posts or questions.

Jonis Estrem

• Top 75 Contributor
  • I already ran that with no error messages on all the computers. It's is still a problem. I am also noticing that everytime I have to reboot the computer I have top re-connect to sharepoint through the Office 365 portal by: checkmarking and selecting all the documents>Library>Connec to Office. I have to do that process everytime I reboot the computer. The shortcuts should be able to connect as long as I'm logged in and I am.

Thanks

• Not Ranked
  • Hi AimeeW,

When you login and authenticate to SharePoint Online for office 365, a Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML) security token is created.  The links to your SharePoint Online sites are valid for the lifetime of the security token, which is every 2 hours.  If you select the Keep Me Signed In option, then the lifetime of the SAML security token is increased to 12 hours.  When the token expires, the only way to access your sites is to log back into SharePoint Online.  On reboot, if you clear the cache automatically, you remove the security token and will need to login to SharePoint Online again.

Test the Keep Me Signed In option, to see if it helps resolve the offline issue.

Jonis Estrem

• Top 75 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)