No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Weird behavior. Exchange "takeover" of Pop accounts? all consolidated now inside exchange?

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

I have a very strange issue that came up w/ Office 2010.  A few pop accounts exist in office, and then I created an exchange configuration with one of the Office365 accounts.

Now, all of the POP mail is part of the exchange mail. For example, I can go to OWA and see all of the mail sent and received from/by these pop accounts.  They are all grouped inside the folder.   One POP account was specified as the "default" account but all of the emails are moved into exchange's inbox and sent mail folders.

This is very strange and quite troubling.  What can I do to resolve this, if anything?

All Replies
  • I understand the pops merge into Exchange when added.  Can I add these accounts as IMAP, then do a search on the to: field and drag them into the new imap accounts?

• Hi PTRECapital,
    Before moving on, I'd like to clarify your situation by asking the following:
    1. Can you see the POP mails in Outlook client separate or in the same profile with the Exchange Online mails? 
    2. Can you see the POP mail accounts at the MOP(Microsoft Online Portal)>Outlook>Options>See all options>Connected Accounts?
    Based on my experience, we would not be able to configure Exchange Online account in an Outlook profile which was attached with POP/IMAP accounts, so I'd like to clarify what you have done to attach these POP accounts. Have you attached the POP mail accounts in OWA as connected accounts?

If so, to troubleshoot this issue, I suggest you delete the connected POP accounts in OWA, create a new Outlook profile, attach the Exchange Online account firstly and then attach the other POP accounts for use.
    For more information, please refer to the following articles:
    Connected Accounts Tab

Thanks,
    Evan Zhang

• Hi PTRECapital,

How are things going on your side? Are you still facing this issue?

Thanks,

Evan Zhang

• It looks like I have no choice but to root through the data file and pull out the inbox/sent items from the POP accounts.

Is there a tool to facilitate this?

• Hi PTRECapital,
    To sort out the POP accounts, I think you can create a special inbox rule in OWA (Outlook Web App) or Outlook client, and sort the e-mail items synced from POP account out (Which with a different sent from/to address).
    For example, to sort the e-mail items send to userA@contoso.com, you can create a new inbox rule: Send to userA@contoso.com; move to profile UserA; apply to all items.
    For more information, please refer to Learn About Inbox Rules.

In addition, as we haven’t find the root cause of this issue, please backup any data before you delete them, so that this prevent from data lose, and I sincerely suggest you troubleshoot this issue by referring to my initial post.
    Thanks,
    Evan Zhang

• Hi PTRECapital,

How are things going on your side? Did my above information help you?

Thanks,

Evan Zhang