No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Outlook Meeting Request recieved as scrambled / plain text

• 3 Followers
  • 20 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Hi,

I'm using Outlook 2010 and exchange account via Office 365. When I'm sending a meeting request few users receives it in plain - scrambled text like:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: xxxxxxxxxx
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CAgSG9hcmRpbmcNCuKAoiAgICAgICBTaXRlIEFjY2Vzcw0KRGF0ZSBhbmQgdGltZSAgIFRodXJz
ZGF5LCAwNyBKdWx5IDIwMTEgYXQgMTA6MDBhbQ0KVmVudWUgICBQUFAtUldBIE1haW4gQ29uZmVy
ZW5jZSBSb29tDQoNClBsZWFzZSBjb25maXJtIHlvdXIgYXR0ZW5kYW5jZS4gICBUaGFua

I've already try to start "defected" Outlook in safe mode - no success. I'm the only one on the exchange, other users are using POP without exchange.

Any idea?

Thank you all for your help.

• Post Points: 35
Verified Answer
  • Hi Matjaz,

Thanks for your reply.
    Outlook 2003 was designed and built for an environment where servers are maintained locally within an organization and not part of a cloud service. Therefore, it is not recommended to connect Office 365 Exchange Online account to client Outlook 2003 as some features and functionality are not supported. Outlook 2003 cannot provide a better end-user experience when connected to Office 365.

In this situation, I would like to know if the issue happened when send request from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 2010.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hi Reken,

The original message was sent from Outlook 2010 with Office 365 mail account to Outlook 2003 with regular non-exchange mail account.

So that means that Outlook 2003 can not receive meeting requests from exchange mail users / Office 365 users?

Thanks,

Matjaz

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Matjaz,

Whether you can get the meeting request normally doesn't depend on which client you are using, but for the mail servers. Non-exchange mail account may not be able to recognize the meeting request from an Exchange account, even if you have connected this account with Outlook, no matter Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hi Reken Liu,

So that means that non-exchange users can not receive meeting request from users who has exchange accounts (speaking about Outllok 2003)?

That's awkward because how could you know which users are using exchange account when you send meeting request outside of  your firm?

Is there any other solution or suggestion?

Thank you and br,

Matjaz

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Matjaz,

Based on my experience, not all the non-exchange users cannot receive meeting request. At least, Windows Live Mail can receive meeting request from Exchange account properly. This may depend on the calendar function included in the mail system. Some type of calendars may not be able to recognize the meeting request from Exchange account. If it is possible, I suggest you change to another mail provider for the non-exchange users.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hi Reken Liu,

Thank you for your answer. The problem is that user with Office 365 account, who is sending out the meeting request, doesn't know what kind of mail client or server the recipient users are using.

I find this very strange because:

Outlook 2010, non-exchange - Outlook 2003, non-exchange WORKING

Outlook 2010, exchange - Outlook 2003, non-exchange DOES NOT WORKING

So if we start using Office 365 and exchange accounts, the meeting request is practically useless, because you will never know what kind of mail client or server the other side is using and you will never know it they received the meeting request or not, because if they are using non-exchange on Outlook 2003, they receive my meeting request into SPAM folder.

With other side I mean users outside our firm.

Thanks,

Matjaz Sustersic

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Matjaz,

I understand this may cause a potential issue when the external recipients are using an email system which is incompatible with Exchange meeting request format. However, based on my experience, most of the meeting request should be sent internally. I would suggest you preparer a non-Exchange account for the external meeting request. Meanwhile, you can send us a feedback about this feature, hope this can be improved in the further.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Male
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) |1|2