No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

SharePoint Workspace 2010 Prompting For Credentials

• This post has 8 Replies |
  • 4 Followers
  • Hi Stephen,

This is Bob from Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support. Thank you for coming to the communities with your question on how to keep SharePoint Workspace from prompting for credentials multiple times per day.  

This behavior is most likely caused by the CAML Token expiring. This is set to expire if there has not been any activity on the site after a set amount of time usually 8 hours, but can be shorter if the browsing session has been closed and or you signed out of the account. To keep this token active it is recommended that you refresh your site frequently.  

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with as I will be monitoring this thread over the next few days.  
    Thank you,

Bob Kasper
    Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support
  • Hi Stephen,

I’m just checking in to see if there was anything else that you have questions on.  Please let me know as I will only be monitoring this thread for a few more days. 

Regards,

Bob Kasper
  • Bob,

When signing in with my Office 365 credentials there are checkboxes to "Remember me" and "Keep me signed in."  I understand the inativity timeout, but if I check those boxes shouldn't Workspace remember my credentials and therefore be able to use them as needed?  If not, is there another way to store my crendentials so that I don't need to re-enter them each time?

Thanks again for your help.

Stephen

• Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your reply.  There is no way to get around this except for having activity on your site.  This is a security policy that MSFT put in place to help protect your account. 

Regards,

Bob Kasper
  • Hi,

I have a similar problem, but slightly more annoying. When I am connected through the intranet (inside company) to the sharepoint site via sharepoint workspace everything seems to sync normally. When going outside the company (internet access), the same link shoudl be accessible (through ISA), but I get an error message saying credentials are needed. This could be still ok, but I never get a popup to give credentials. When pushing teh resolve error button, nothing happens. I can sometimes force the popup asking for credentials to appear when I pause the communication for a sharepoint workspace site, and then resume again. Then typically (but ont always) the popup comes up to give credentials again. After this popup syncing from the internet is no problem. I have the problem every time when I switch from intranet to internet.

Is there a solution for this ?

Regards,

Brecht.

• I've also encountered these issues.  If the login screen actually comes up that's not a big deal, but I've had a couple instances where the resolve button does nothing, ending in me having to close and re-open Workspace.  This needs to be addressed.  I'm getting ready to present this to our CTO as an replacement for DropBox (scary) that our company is using.  The average user is not going to know how to fix this, it needs to run in the background and not need constant interaction.  I fear that this issue alone is going to cause us to find something else that is more user friendly.

Nate

• Bob,

As a follow up to this issue, I wanted to share the results of some experimenting we've been doing.  We have tried using the Credential Manager feature in Windows 7 to store the proper password for the given library in SharePoint workspace.  Although it still asks me to login each morning, this seems to overcome the inactivity timeout issue in SharePoint workspace - I do not get prompted to enter my credentials again throughout the day, despite not having any activity.

Stephen

• Hi Stephen

how did you do that exactly?? I don't know the credential manager, but ^'m very interested in doing it as well.

would be great if you can share your knowleadge.

thanx

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)