No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Have questions about using the Office 2010 suite? Join answers.microsoft.com

• This post has 42 Replies |
  • 15 Followers
  • If one is already using Office Pro Plus 2010 (from the action pack distribution) is it necessary to overwrite it with the Office365 download? Or is there some documentation someplace that discussed configuring the existing installation to work with the online servers?

• Hi G,

If you were to get an Office 365 subsciption to Office Pro Plus 2010, then you would have to download those bits.

I'm not sure what the action pack distribution is, but if you've already purchased and installed a local copy of Office Pro Plus 2010 on your workstation, you wouldn't necessarily need to purchase a subscription to the cloud version. On the corporate network there could be a reason to ensure all users are cloud-subscription based, e.g., cloud-based data storage for all users, but if users can have a local version of Office Pro Plus 2010 with local data storage, then perhaps the only subscription needs might be for Lync, Exchange, and SharePoint.  

For a more lively discussion on Office 2010 issues, see Office 2010 forum at answers.microsoft.com.

Darryl

• I have an expanded version of G Latiak's question, but first, a partial answer. Products available through an Action Pack subscription are licensed to the partner for full commercial use in their own business. Based on this I don't expect to pay a monthly fee for software I already have installed and activated under a legitimate license - which jives with Darryl's conjecture.

I've looked all through the O365 admin area and also went through the buy/checkout process up to the payment options page but haven't found a way to associate existing licenses with my subscription. I'm interested to find out how this will work for clients that have Office Pro licenses under a volume agreement with software assurance.

Additionally, since the Action Pack includes not only Office but Windows, SBS, etc. I'm hoping some 365 seats will be added to the package. Since my trial is now fully expired I'll be researching this with a high level of urgency over the next couple days. I'll post my findings to this thread.

Darryl, clarify an item in your post for me. Are you unsure about the cloud services being included in the Action Pack or do you not know what the Action Pack is? The question isn't meant to be disparaging, it's just that for many years the Action Pack has been the magical source of power for a lot of us small consulting operations.

Christopher

• Correct - I didn't know what the Action Pack is. I was simply explaining my understanding of what happens to an on-premise install of Office Pro Plus when one subscribes to the Office 365 version of Office Pro Plus. Sorry I couldn't give you more information - I hope you can get more help at answers.microsoft.com/.../office_2010

Darryl

• Darryl, The Action Pack is a way to license Microsoft software products by Microsoft Partners. Details are available at partners.microsoft.com.

• This is helpful.

Thanks for the Link.

• Except the fact that you will find Office 365 unusable if you want to use other than MS filetypes.

PDF's, Autocad and all other filetypes are blacklisted in Office 365, meaning you can't open these filetypes directly in your Internet Explorer.

You can use Firefox, but then you loose a lot of SharePoint functionality!

Don't go to Office 365 . I have tried and got slashed by my costumers!!!

Read this:

http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/154/p/14526/66803.aspx#66803

• I'm using a non-365 installed copy of Office 2010. I can upload and save to office 365 right now with no problems. smilward's comments were funny...the product says "OFFICE" 365. What I'm curious about is how many customers have you been slashed by?
  • We have five computers+ in our home but only one currently has Windows 7 Home Premium, I believe one has Windows 7 Professional, one has Windows XP w SP3, and I don't recall what the other one has. I also have Office 2010 Professional I believe it is on one of those computers. I subscribed to the trail Office 365 in hopes that I can use the Office 2010 now on each of these computers. I also have a license for a MS Project.  I would like to know if more that one of the computers we are using will be able to open and edit  in all of the MS Office 2010 applications and will they all be able to open and edit the MS Project application that I have on one of these computers?

• Hi Zen,

if you buy the Office 365 level that includes Office Professional Plus (that's the E3 level) you'll get Office 2010 Professional Plus for each machine.  However, Office 2010 Professional Plus does NOT include MS Project...so you'll still only be able to open those files on the one computer that has MS Project on it.

SharePoint has some project capabilities - but not sure if they'll be enough for what you want.

• Ben's comments are correct in that all computers will be able to work with an Office file except the Microsoft Project.   Project can be saved as Excel files and as images for reports.  Project is storing the data in a custom Access file, so Access can read (and write) project files -- with CUSTOM code.  

With the Lync application or just remote desktop, you could share the workstation where Project is installed and users can use that CPU for Project edits.

• Yes, but you can download and use your own computer programs to work with the files.  You just do not use Web apps.

• My email account has been upgraded from Office Outlook 2010 to Outlook 365. Everytime I want to access my email account I now have to enter user name and password. The remember me facility doesn't work. This is a pain in the butt. Is there anyway I can access my account the way I used to on Office Outlook, that is to say without having to enter user name and password every time?

• James, if you are opening a new browser page to access Outlook 365 online, you are correct.   If you logon and keep the web browser open, you can use other tabs or minimize the window as you work on other things.

If you have Outlook 2010 on your computer, you can add the Outlook 365 account to it and it can save your email logon and password and you will not have to enter when checking email.

• Try this: Go into Outlook - File - Info - Account Settings - Double click the Exchange Account - More Settings - Security Tab - CHECK the Always Prompt for Logon Credentials - Close Outlook - enter username and password - click on Remember my Credentials - close Outlook and repeat - and don't forget to click on Remember my Credentials.    Go back into More Settings - Security Tab - and REMOVE the check from the Alway Prompt for Logon Credentials.

( social.technet.microsoft.com/.../cd38f3f2-892f-470c-b52e-17b8beeb275e )  

• I want to make a comment. Many think that other filestypes get no respect in Office 365. If you have the Office Plus addon, you get the sharepoint workspaces with syncs all your files locally and treats them the same. This is the best solution because it allows you to work offline with your files. Just remember this...use sharepoint workspaces and be more productivity!!
  • I am unable to set up my microsoft exchange e-mail on my new I-phone, 4S, thouhg I followed to the letter the instructions on the office 365 web applications page of my admin website.  Any suggestions for help?  Is the passsword asked for the same as my Office 365 password?  If not, what password is it asking for?

Thanks, Bill

• Hi Bill, yes, it's the same password as your Office 365 account. What happens when you try to do it and it fails? Do you get an error message?  Are you trying to set it up as an Exchange account or are you trying to use POP3/IMAP?

• Thanks for the response.

I get through the first prompts in settings then to the next page asking for server information.  I enter m.outlook.com for the server (per instructions in office 365 for I-phone 4S).  I get an error message "unable to verify account."   I have been trying to set it up as an exchange account.

• Solved the problem with AT&T help by phone.  Microsoft Exchange phone help is hopelessly backlogged apparently.

• Hi Darryl,

I got a windows phone this week and tried to edit office files on my o365 sharepoint site and this is the message I got:

"Can't Edit

Unsupported content. This version of Word doesn't support some of the content in this document. You won't be able to make any changes"

I'm assuming this is a word/office problem not a phone one, yes?  

• Actually I would guess you're getting that message because you're trying to edit files that are in a format or contain elements that the Windows Phone version of Word doesn't support.

• So what features are and aren't supported in office mobile vs office2010? Do I need to start using .doc again?  I didn't realize "attempting" to edit the document wasn't supported :-)  

• I'd have to look for the list but the mobile version of Word (like the web version) is considerably more limited than the desktop version of Word 2010 is. Is there anything complicated in the documents you're trying to edit?  Lots of advanced formatting elements? Macros? Tables and columns? Lots of graphics?

• This is unbelievable. I bought this phone so I could edit work files and stop lugging a computer around but if the mobile versions are so limited...

I need research this. I'll post my results.

• It's not really that surprising. :-)  Microsoft Office is a very large and complex piece of software. It would be very difficult to write a feature-complete version of Word that would work on a mobile phone (or in a web browser).

The mobile version of Word contains the essential features for working with (including creating and editing) basic documents. It's not really intended to be a replacement for the desktop version of Word for creating heavily formatted or complex documents.

• I can't even edit my documents...feature not supported...

• I understand that - which should NOT be the case if the documents are basic but COULD be the case if your documents have features that are not supported by the mobile version. That's why I asked if they were extensively formatted, had a lot of tables or graphical elements, multiple sections, etc....

• It's a word document with text only...I can browse the document fine but when I try to edit it I get the errors.
  • Let me post my steps and we'll go from there:

1. I search my sharepoint document for the files

2. click on the file I want.

3. The document opens and I can browse it all the way to the end

4. I click on a piece of text to highlight and click the "edit" option/bubble and then I get the error.

"Can't Edit

Unsupported content. This version of Word doesn't support some of the content in this document. You won't be able to make any changes"

• This is the official mobile office statement, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/howto/wp7/office/office-mobile-faq.aspx

You might not be able to edit a Microsoft Office document on your phone depending on what's in it or how it was last saved. Here are some of the more common things that make a document read-only on your phone.

The file is:

• Saved as an older type of Microsoft Office document, such as a Microsoft Word 97-2003 document (.doc), Microsoft Excel 97-2003 workbook (.xls), or Microsoft PowerPoint 97-2003 presentation (.ppt).

• Digitally signed.

• Marked as final.

• Protected using rights management.

• Protected with a password.

• Protected with restricted editing rights.

Microsoft Word documents are read-only if they have:

• Track changes enabled.

• Frames.

• Custom markup (customxml, sdt tags, or smart tags).

• XML where the XML tags have unsupported values.

Microsoft Excel workbooks are read-only if they have:

• Formulas that aren't supported on the phone.

• Scenarios.

• Data validation in one or more cells.

• Array formulas.

• Data tables.

• Slicers.

• Macros enabled.

• Large column or row widths.

• Formulas that contan links or references to other workbooks.

• Formulas with structured references.

• Formulas that contain references, content, or formatting beyond cell IV16384.

• Longer formulas, such as a formula that is longer than 512 characters or has more than 30 arguments in it.

• Shared workbooks with tracked changes.

• Workbooks with dialog sheets.

• XML markup that isn't formed correctly.

• OLE objects or ActiveX controls.

For Microsoft OneNote notebooks:

• You can’t edit a page from a notebook that was sent as an email attachment.

• A notebook that is shared on SkyDrive or on a Microsoft SharePoint site and marked as read-only.

• A page that only contains content that’s not supported in Microsoft OneNote Mobile, such as ink drawings, shapes, or unsupported images.

• A notebook that has a corrupted page.

For Microsoft PowerPoint presentations, you can only make certain types of edits on your phone. Some examples include editing text in a text box, changing the order of slides, or hiding slides.

• Here are my questions for the moderators. Where do I find more information about this?

• Formulas that aren't supported on the phone. What formulas aren't supported on Windows Phone?

• Large column or row widths. How long?

• OLE objects or ActiveX controls - Will pictures or embedded information from other office products make my documents read only?

Where can I get more details about mobile office?

• Does Office365 RE support Project Professional 2010  > www.microsoft.com/.../cloud-services.aspx  doing the following?  > Project managers can now collaborate with teams to share schedule details quickly with SharePoint® Online task list synchronization. Individuals throughout the organization can view the task list, to quickly see task status and update progress in SharePoint Online—from virtually anywhere. Project managers can then easily synchronize and update the project plan from Project Professional 2010. Synchronization is bi-directional, providing greater flexibility for communicating with the team, no matter their location!

• Brad - yes, it should. I haven't tested it myself to be fair but I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work.

• As a Partner at a small business (100 FTEs) and new Office 365 customer, I must say that while we have been impressed by the features, we are absolutely dissappointed at the support.  We have had a Sharepoint site outage for almost 20 days with no resolution and little communications.  Unfortunatly we are at the point that we have to re-think our whole 365 strategy and move to another cloud-based collaboration solution.  

I hope Microsoft puts some serious thought into being a service provider as small businesses cannot afford to have these types of outages.

Happy to talk to anyone who is thinking about moving to 365 and give them a summary of our experiences.  Also happy to talk to anyone from Microsoft about this subject as well.

• Has anyone ran into this issue a local install of Outlook 2010 configured for 365?

User:  Email is coming through, appointments are synching, etc., but I cannot use the scheduling assistant or resource finder (room finder). It says “Cannot determine location of your server.)

• Do you have SP1 for Office 2010 installed?

• I will have to double check with the user (remote). I wanted to see if this was a common issue before I went to troubleshoot. Have you seen SP1 be a remedy in cases like this?

• I haven't seen this specific issue before but SP1 does address some syncing issues so it's a good idea to confirm at least that baseline before you go too far with other troubleshooting.

• Hi dear.I have live mail.But all update coworker#

www.sarwaralam.com mr.sarwar alam
  • amar prosno holo.keno ami asob jante gelam.....

• yes i have net device#

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1|2|3|