No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Completely remove lync and it's settings

• 4 Followers
  • 12 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)

I've had a whole heap of issues with Lync in the past week, specifically with one user's account/computer. 

I'll get more into specifics about where it's all going awry, but for now I want to do a complete clean Uninstall of Lync, and if I have to MS Office Pro, and Online Sign in Assistant. 

The reason for this I altered the users Internal/External server name (sipdir.online.lync.com:443) and must have spelt it wrong or something cause now when I open the program it attempts to login and freezes.

I haven't found a way to prevent the auto-login, if anyone knows how to do that, please share.  However i still want to do the clean sweep of all it's settings so when I do a reinstall it doesn't just start using the same settings all over again, which to this point the user hasn't been able to log on to their Lync account on their computer.  I have confirmed their account work on other computers inside and outside that users network.  So believe it to be an issue with that users computer or Lync settings. 

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Brendon

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Post Points: 65
All Replies
  • Hi Brendon,

If you’re already logged on to your organization’s network, you might get signed in automatically by Lync Online. The following steps helps you change the auto sign-in account.

1. In the Lync main window, click the Options button, click Personal, and then type in your address in the Sign-in address box.
    2. Select the Automatically start Lync when I log on to Windows check box.
    3. Sign out of Lync, and then sign in again for the change to take effect. In the Lync main window, click the availability menu under your name, and then click Sign Out.

In addition, I understand you want to uninstall Lync and reinstall it. To troubleshoot the issue, I suggest you do some steps as follow.

1. Uninstall Lync Client in Control Panel. Delete security credentials and clear the cache.

1) Locate the local application data folder:
              Windows Vista and Windows 7: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Communicator\<\">sip_address@contoso.com>\
              Windows XP: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Communicator\<\">sip_address@contoso.com>\
    2) Delete the file that is named EndpointConfiguration.CACHE.

2. I suggest manually download Lync again and save it on the Desktop. The download links are as below:  

For 32 bit Operating System: http://c2r.microsoft.com/oconline/en-us/7577.280/x86/en-US/LyncSetup.exe  
    For 64 bit Operating System: http://c2r.microsoft.com/oconline/en-us/7577.280/x64/en-US/LyncSetup.exe  

If any error occurs when log in Lync, you can follow troubleshoot sign-in issues in Lync Online KB article. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2541980

Thanks,

Melissa

• Not Ranked
    • Post Points: 0
    Suggested by
  • First off thanks for your insight and time answer my question.

I was able to get lync to not freeze upon loading, by searching the interal/external server name entries in reg edit and resetting them.  However this doesn't solve my main issue.

We have a computer that can't connect to Lync, the user is able to connect to Office 365 via the portal, and the user can connect to lync via other computers.  The problem appears to their computer.  I went throught the steps you provided at support.microsoft.com/.../2541980 however none have solved my problem.

I suspect it's a firewall issue, however I have added Lync as an allowed program, not sure if there is anything more that is required.  Is there a way to confirm the firewall is not interfering.

Any more guidance/insight would be great,

Thanks,

Brendon

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Brendon,

It’s my pleasure to help you.

Due to your description, you mean most computers in your organization work well on Lync except one. In this situation, the organization’s firewall settings should be correct. The issue lies in the computer which could not log in Lync.

I suggest you check the local computer settings. Include clear browser cache, clear the local cache in application data folder, remove security credentials  and reinstall Lync Client.

Thanks,

Melissa 

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Brendon,

Are your problematic computer connected to Lync Online successfully? If you need further assistance please let me know.

@Melissa, thanks for your helpful information.

Thanks,
    Maggie Li

• Top 25 Contributor
  • I still have not been able to sort out this issue.  I may end up reformating the PC, and starting from scratch.  I haven't had a chance to look at it in the past couple days.  Hopefully next week I can work on it update the progress.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Brendon,

Thanks for your feedback. If there are any updates about the issue, I will continue to follow up with the questions.

Thanks,
    Maggie Li

• Top 25 Contributor
  • I am also having this issue and I know the cause but not the solution.

Background:  We have two Office 365 accounts.  Both can log into the portal just fine.  We have a copy of Office 2013 on disk.  When we install that onto a computer we are unable to log into Lync with our 365 accounts.  It says the server is temporarily unavailable.  Now, if we install Office 2013 from the links in the portal, we are able to log into Lync just fine.  

Big issue we have is that if a computer installed Office 2013 from the CD and not from the download links in the portal than we can't get Lync to work.  Even if we uninstall and install from the portal.  I've tried to delete the cache and clear all my IE settings.  It still wont work.

I know it has nothing to do with firewalls or our network because all of our machines are built with the same image.  If I install with the CD on a clean machine, I can't install Lync.  If I reformat that same machine and install from the portal, it works fine.  

Strange thing I have noticed.  If we use the installer from the portal, Lync asks the user to enter their password.  If we use the CD installer, it doesn't ask for a password but just a login username.  

I really don't want to reformat this computer.  There must be some file or registry key that I can delete to force Lync to ask for my password or rebuild itself... Help!!!

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Youngengr,

As far as I know, Lync 2013 client is a part of Office 2013, and there is no an independent installation like the one for Lync 2010 client. According to the situation, it may be that you installed Lync server 2013 from CD. Since Lync server 2013 is very different from Lync client, it is recommended that you create a thread in the Lync server 2013 forum to find out what you have installed. The Lync server 2013 forum also is staffed by many professional engineers and experienced community members who can help you solve the particular problem. Your understanding is much appreciated.

The Lync Server 2013 support forum is here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lync/fp123621.aspx.

Thanks,
    Maggie Li

• Top 25 Contributor
  • Maggie.

1. We don't have a Lync server installed.  The lync clients are connecting to our Office 365 cloud.  So we have no ability to do anything about a lync server.

2.  We don't want to install Lync 2013 server.  I'm pretty sure that's the whole reason for having Office 365.

3. Correct, there is no independent install of lync 2010 client.  The independent install we have is a copy of Office 2013 Microsoft Partnership Program (Action Pack).  So I believe its Office 2013 Pro which includes Lync 2013.  

4.  I'm not asking to get the independent install of Office 2013 Pro to work with Office 365, What I'm asking is how do you remove every aspect of the independent version of Office 2013 (most importantly, Lync 2013) so that I can reinstall from the portal and get Lync to connect to Office 365.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Youngengr,

I am very sorry for my carelessness in my previous post. I appreciate your reminder. Actually, completely removing Office 2013 is a topic discussed frequently. Here is a KB article provides the detailed steps about the manually processes.

Uninstall Microsoft Office 2013.

I suggest you try the manual steps in the above article to see if it helpful for you. However, Office 365 provides a subscription service that lets customer get the latest version of the Office desktop, which is called Office 365 ProPlus. Office 365 ProPlus differs from the volume license version of Office Professional Plus 2013. It doesn’t provide a product key to activate Office. If the Office 2013 you installed from CD is the volume license version of Office 2013, you can post a thread in Office 2013 forums in order to solve the issue efficiently.

The Office 2013 forum is here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release.

Thanks,
    Maggie Li

• Top 25 Contributor
  • Thanks Maggie but that uninstaller still did not resolve the issue.  I am still unable to get Lync to log into the server.  It still will not prompt me for my 365 password either.  There must be some registry key or saved config file that the uninstaller does not remove.  Do you have a list of all saved setting files and registry keys that Lync uses?  I'd like to delete those.  I'll also post that question in the license version thread.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Youngengr,

Hope we can hear the good news from there.

About the Lync sign in issue, I suggest you try these steps to see whether you can change the sign in address.

1. On the Lync client, click Settings iron. 

2. On the Lync-Options panel, click Personal, change the Sign-in address and click OK. Generally, the Lync will log in for the new address when logging next time, and the password prompt can be appeared during the logging process. 

In addition, here is an article providing the general steps for troubleshooting. Maybe it is helpful for you.

How to troubleshoot sign-in issues in Lync Online.

Thanks,
    Maggie Li

• Top 25 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)