No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Lync desktop sharing performance issues

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

When I share my desktop with Lync meeting attendees they experience very poor performance in that the screen refresh is so slow that the product is unusable. If they share their desktop, I experience the same issue. We regularly use LiveMeeting and do not have any such issues.

I am an Office 365 P1 plan user. I have tested this on a LAN connection by installing Lync Meeting attendee on a laptop and setting up a 2 person meeting. Again screen refresh/scrolling performance is absymal.

As suggested in other posts I have run the  MOSDAL Support Toolkit and it has not reported any errors or issues.

Please advise.

Thank you.

All Replies
  • Hi Ian,

I understand that the performance of Desktop sharing wasn’t good when conducting a Lync meeting. If the users sharing their Desktop, the same situation occurred. There isn’t any error received when running MOSDAL Support Toolkit.

The Lync desktop sharing performance issue is usually caused by incorrect network settings. Please refer to the following article to check the network settings.
    http://community.office365.com/en-us/w/lync/ensuring-your-network-works-with-lync-online.aspx

In addition, to check network connection, you can test it from the following website.
    http://speedtest.microsoftonline.com/

If the issue persists, you can log on another network to check if the issue disappears.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Thanks Monica

I think I have opened the ports and created the firewall rules documented in the network setting article - my firewall is Norton Internet Security (current version). I will recheck.

I don't use Microsoft Forefront Threat Manager or another gateway product.

My DNS nameservers are the Microsoft office 365 nameservers - ns1. and ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com - so are the DNS records mentioned in the article required in this case?

Ian

• Hi Ian,

I understand that the issue persists after opened the ports and created the firewall rules as the article stated. The firewall is Norton Internet Security. The Microsoft Forefront Threat Manager or another gateway product didn’t install on the computer. You have pointed the name server to ns1. and ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com.

Ian, have you checked the issue on another network? If so, you can also disable Norton Internet Security temporarily to test the issue. Once the test finish, please enable it.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Hi Ian,

I would like to follow up with the question posted previously. Does the reply above answer your question?

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Hi Monica

Apologies for the delay in responding.

I have been having problems with the Java installation on my desktop and have not been able to run the Microsoft speed test (I get a license expired message). Testing using another site (www.speedtest.net) shows that my ADSL broadband is good with download speeds of 6.15 Mbps and upload 0.29 Mbps with no packet loss, 48ms ping and 1ms jitter.

I disabled the Norton Internet Security (firewall and AV) on both PCs and re-ran the test. Lync performance was slightly faster but not noticably so and still very slow. I have not had the opportunity to try on a different network.

• Hi Lan,

I met the similar issue: When some user use Lync online connect from external (other state), the desktop share will very slow.

But if use Lync client connect to Lync client is fine.

I think you need list the scenario as follows to help supporter narrow down the issue.

Scenario 1: Lync connection from internal to internal.

Scenario 2: Lync connection form internal to external.

Scenario 3: Lync client connect to Lync client.

Scenario 4: Lync client connect to Lync online.

• Hi Ian,

I had encountered a similar situation before. I know your lync permormance is better than before after disabling the Norton Internet Security. I even know you didn't have the opportunity to try on a different network environment. But it is very import for this issue.

According to your describe, I think the DNS record settings are correct. So maybe the network has some incompatible problems. The upload  speeds is only 0.29 Mbps.The quality of network transmission is import too.

Please test again after closing applications that occupying much network resource.

Thanks,

Mia

• Hi PP-51tubu

Thanks for your suggestions. Can you clarify what you mean by 'internal Lync' please? If this requires an in-house Lync server I dont have access to one. I only have access to Lync online.

I am a sole trader with only Microsoft Office 365 P1 and so my applications are "in the cloud" and I have ASDL broadband (up to 7Mbits) . I have a desktop PC and a laptop. I have been using Lync 2010 on the desktop and Lync Attendee on the laptop for testing. Please note that I regularly participate in 3-way external Microsoft LiveMeeting sessions (BPOS predecessor to Lync) set up by someone who has access to LiveMeeting online and we don't have these performance issues. I have presented and been an attendee in these LiveMeeting sessions without issue but when we try to do the 'same' thing on Lync the desktop sharing performance is extremely poor - but the voice seems fine.

Ian

• Hi Mia

Please see my answer to PP-51tubu above which will help provide context.

Additionally, I don't have any applications that use a lot of network resource open on my PC - just Internet Explorer (logged into Outlook OWA on 365), Lync 2012 and maybe Powerpoint or Excel (whatever I am presenting).

• I am still not clear, are we using Microsoft Lync 2010 Attendee client  instead of  Microsoft Lync 2010 client.

If yes then, if we try to share the desktop from the Lync 2010 client rather then using Lync attendee client do we still have the performance issue?

Regards,
    Anil

• If possible kindly Uninstall the Nortan Forefront security software for temporary period and then check the performance.

Sometimes even disabling the third party doesn't help much, may be after uninstalling the Nortan Forefront security software it will improve the perfomance of the desktop sharing.

Regards,
    Anil

• Hello Anil

Forefront is a Microsoft product - I don't use it or have it installed. I use Norton Internet Security and really do not want to de-install this.

I have a further result to report:-

Yesterday evening a friend of mine who had access to synchronous (4Mb) broadband joined a meeting that I had set up in advance on Lync Online. Initially I tried to present (share my desktop). Response time was very poor - my screen refreshes were taking 20 seconds+ to paint on his screen. We were not using video (webcam).

We then switched roles - i.e. I stopped sharing and he started. The result was perfect - I experienced no delays seeing his screen updates over Lync.

He was using Lync Attendee and I used my Lync 2010 with Lync Online. This suggests that to be the PRESENTER you need sufficent UPLOAD bandwidth. As an SMB with ADSL my DOWNLOAD speed is (as per previous posts) 7Mbps but upload is only 0.3Mbps and this would appear to be insufficent to present with Lync Online. This is not a restriction with LiveMeeting which I have used to present over my broadband in the past without any difficulty.

Ian

• Regarding the query about which client is in use:

Answer - both! 

I normally use Lync 2010 client with Lync Online from Office 365. The other external (Office 365) user who was testing with me was also using Lync 2010 client. Performance was slow when either of us presented.

In order to TEST Lync Online by myself I used Lync 2010 (with Lync Online) on Office 365 from a desktop PC and joined a meeting from a separate laptop connected to the same LAN (as a guest) using Lync Attendee client. This was because (for testing) I only have one Office 365 login and hence needed to use Attendee to login as a guest and participate in the meeting. Again performance was slow when I presented on the desktop or laptop.

For the test I did with the user who had access to 4Mb synchronous broadband I used Lync 2010 client and he downloaded and used Lync Attendee (as he does not have Office 365 or an on-premises Lync server).

Regards

Ian

• If you are the presenter and sharing your desktop are we having the performance issue at both the ends, at the presenter and even at the attendee end. 

What if less application we have open, then faster refresh should get on your shared desktop. it won't be an amazing difference but should be noticeable.

Regards,
    Anil

• Any Update.

Regards,
    Anil