No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

What Security Risks Federating All Domains

• 4 Followers
  • 6 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)
Is there any significant Security Risk if we choose to OPEN Federation to all verses closing to all and adding one at a time.  I would prefer to be OPEN unless it creates a security risk.
  • Post Points: 35
All Replies
  • Hello UAMark,

Does “OPEN Federation” mean “Federation with external domains” of Lync Online in Plan E?
    If not, could you please provide some detailed information about the “OPEN federation”, such as some screen shots? For tips, please click Use rich formatting > Insert image to upload the screen shots in the post manually.

If it means Federation with external domains of Lync Online in Plan E, as far as I know, there won’t be security risk after enabling federation with all custom domain added to Office 365.

Moreover, you may describe more detailed information about your worry about “Federation” for understanding the concern better.

Thanks,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
    Suggested by
  • When you use 'Open' federation (Turn on external communications with all except blocked domains) this means that anyone can add you to their Lync account, you will then receive a message to confirm this is OK.  In theory it is not a Security Risk as long as you and your user read and understand the message received when someone adds you.

Richard Duheaume

365 services

Custom Websites

• Top 100 Contributor
  • Hello UAMark,

Is the information above useful?
    In addition, do you need other assistance about using Office 365?

Best regards,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Yes Claude, this is what I meant.

If it means Federation with external domains of Lync Online in Plan E, as far as I know, there won’t be security risk after enabling federation with all custom domain added to Office 365.

The reason i asked this question is because of some of the risks that could be inherent to Lync Server 2010 On Premise

technet.microsoft.com/.../gg195822

• Not Ranked
  • Hi UAMark,

Thanks for your update. Regarding to your concern, I'd like to explain to you from three aspects:

Firstly, we transfer data record between Lync server and client by SSL, it assures the security issue. You can see this setting in the Advanced Connection Settings dialog box, make sure that Manual Configuration is selected and that the values in the boxes are exactly as follows: 
         * Internal server name or IP address: sipdir.online.lync.com:443 
         * External server name or IP address: sipdir.online.lync.com:443

Secondly, for security reasons, the transfer of some file types is not permitted. Among these are files that have the following file name extensions. For your reference:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2514042

Thirdly, as Richard mentioned. When you use 'Open' federation, this means that external user can add you to their Lync account, you will then receive a message. It offers you the opportunity to reject the invention from unknown source.

If you have any other concerns or questions, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks,
    Allen Qiu
    • Top 50 Contributor
  • Hello UAMark,

I'm writing to follow up my previous reply. 
    If you need further assistance on this issue, please feel free to post back.

Best regards,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)