No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Lync Client Policy Settings via Registry? (while we wait for PowerShell support)

• 3 Followers
  • 6 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

In light of the fact that Microsoft is not yet permitting the use of PowerShell to control Lync server and client settings, we've found that we can use the following registry values to control local Lync client policies:

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Communicator" 

/v "AwayThreshold" /t REG_DWORD /d <time in minutes>

/v "CallLogAutoArchivingPolicy" /t REG_DWORD /d [0|1]

/v "DisableCalendarPresence" /t REG_DWORD /d [0|1]

/v "DisableSavingIM" /t REG_DWORD /d [0|1]

/v "EnableEventLogging" /t REG_DWORD /d [0|1]

/v "EnableSQMData" /t REG_DWORD /d [0|1]

/v "EnableTracing" /t REG_DWORD /d [0|1]

/v "IdleThreshold" /t REG_DWORD /d <time in minutes>

/v "IMAutoArchivingPolicy" /t REG_DWORD /d [0|1]

/v "NotificationsForNewSubscribers" /t REG_DWORD /d [0|1]

/v "ShowColorBand" /t REG_DWORD /d [0|1]

/v "ShowEmoticons" /t REG_DWORD /d [0|1]

What we're missing are the registry values which we can use to enforce the following:

1. "Show all my updates in Activity Feed" (disable access to Activity Feeds tab).
  2. "Share my location information with other programs I use".
  3. "My picture / Default corporate picture".
Does anyone have a definitive list of all of the registry values which can be used to enforce Lync client settings while we wait for full PowerShell-based administrative support for Lync in Office 365?

Thank you for the help!

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Post Points: 50
Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hi TransporterAccident,

I don't have a definitive list of registry values, but I have been able to find some for Activity Feed and Location information:

Activity Feed:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Communicator\MaximumNumberOfActivities
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Communicator\MaximumAgeOfActivities

Location Information:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Communicator\ThirdPartyLocationAccess
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Communicator\ThirdPartyLocationAccessUser

I am so far unable to locate a registry value for using either My Picture or the Default corporate picture. However, to help clarify the issue, are you using Lync Server, or Lync Online? If it is Lync Online, these values should be controlled with in-band provisioning.

Best Regards,
    Jacob T

• Not Ranked
    • Post Points: 0
  • TransporterAccident,

We haven't heard from you recently regarding this question. Please let us know if the answer I provided was helpful or if you require further assistance. Also let us know if you were able to discover anything on your end.

Best Regards,
    Jacob T

• Not Ranked
  • Thanks for the assistance.  

I learned that we're severely limited in what we can control via "out-of-band" provisioning (classic use of GPOs/LPOs/Registry Hacks) w/Lync on Office 365.  I think the registry values listed in this thread are about all there are in terms of what can be leveraged at this time while we wait for service enhancements which will provide "in-band" provisioning capability with Lync on Office 365.  If there is any way to bump up the priority for full "in-band" provisioning capability (PowerShell / Get/Set-CsUser, etc...), we'd really appreciate it!

The current administrative capabilities of Lync 2010 on Office 365 are akin to what BPOS/Exchange 2007 was like compared to Exchange 2010 on Office 365 currently.

Please help! :)

• Not Ranked
  • TransporterAccident,

We don't currently have any ETA on full in-band provisinoning support, this would have to come in a possible future client update. However, I will try to find you some more information on this in the meantime. You can also see this article for some information on the current Powershell capabilities in regards to in-band provisioning:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/csps/p/cmgmtprovisioning.aspx

Best Regards,
    Jacob T

• Not Ranked
  • Thanks for the assistance on this.  We look forward to a future release of Lync which would have these capabilities on Office 365. :)

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Jacob,

are there any news regarding in-band provisioning? Especially changing the conference policy.

I've heard that there should be Powershell support for Lync Online W15 but couldn't find any docs on that.

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)