No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Lync compatibility with Communicator 2007 R2

• 3 Followers
  • 2 Replies |
  • This post has 2 verified answers |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Hi there,

Here's a easy question which I didnt find the answer to. Our organization currently use Office Communicator 2007 R2. If I install lync on a few computers, will they be able to communicate with the users that still use Communicator 2007 ? Or is Lync non-compatible with previous version of Communicator ?

Thanks.

Joffrey Lambert
IT worker
Techtra.ca

• Post Points: 35
Verified Answer
  • ·         Lync is not compatible with previous versions of Office Communication Server or Office Communicator Online.

The Office365 / Lync Online feature list does refer to external contacts and I have added several to my test company, but have not yet been able to IM those contacts.

office365.microsoft.com/.../lync-online.aspx

• Top 200 Contributor
    • Male
    • Post Points: 0
  • Hi Joffrey,

As mentioned by David, the Lync Online client cannot be used to login to your existing OCS R2 deployment.  We also support Federation (the name of the feature that allows one Lync deployment to communicate with another Lync or OCS deployment).  The caveat being at this time we do not support "split-domain", meaning that the same SIP domain is used for both the on-premsises and Online enviroment.  We are looking to include split-domain in a future release.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Shawn Mahan

Lync Online TAP Program Manager

• Not Ranked
    • Post Points: 0
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)