No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Problem with WSUS update for Lync 2010 32bit on Windows 7 x64

• 3 Followers
  • 6 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)

We installed Lync 2010 32bit on machines running Windows 7 x64.

WSUS server supports deployment of Lync updates, so we decided to use that feature.

I approved "Update for Lync 2010 X86 (KB2670498)" and ""Update for Lync 2010 X64 (KB2670498)" on WSUS server.

WSUS client on Windows 7 x64 mistakenly detects that a x64 Lync update is required.

It tries to install the 64bit update, but fails because 32bit version of Lync 2010 is installed.

Where can I report this issue to Microsoft in order to get it solved ?

Regards,

Holger

• Post Points: 20
All Replies
  • Hi Holger,

Since you are using Windows 7 64 bit operating system, you need to install Lync 2010 64 bit instead of Lync 2010 32 bit. Given this situation, to troubleshoot this issue, please uninstall the Lync program from the computer, and then download and install Lync 2010 32 bit.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
    Suggested by
  • Hi Mindy,

why do we need to install the 64bit Lync version ? Is there any documentation that states it as mandatory ?

Our company wants to maintain a single installation package only. We want to install

32bit Lync version on 32bit and 64bit operating system for ease of management.

Regards,

Holger

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Holger,

When you install Microsoft Lync 2010 software, depending on your computer’s operating system you will need to choose between a 32-bit version or a 64-bit version installer.

If you install 32 bit Lync client on 64 bit operating system, or install 64 bit Lync client on 32 bit operating system, the Lync program may not work properly.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Top 25 Contributor
  • Hi Mandy,

this isn't true. Lync 32bit works properly on 64 bit operating system. Deploying Lync updates manually also works.

We only have a problem with updating by WSUS. It's obvious that there is bug.

Therefore I'm looking  for a contact to WSUS team for reporting this problem.

I was hoping that you could forward the problem to the appropriate team.

Regards,

Holger

• Not Ranked
  • Hi HolgerD,

Thanks for your efforts and time. We will forward the problem to corresponding team.

At the same time, I sincerely invite you to submit the issue with the following link.

support.microsoft.com/.../6527

Best regards,

Alex Du

• Top 75 Contributor
  • Hi Alex,

thank you very much.

Best regards

Holger

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)