No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Adding contacts to Lync

This question is answered This question is answered
I seem to be having some trouble adding contacts. All that I am trying to add currently use MS messenger. Some receive invitations and others do not seems to be random.
Verified Answer
  • Try name(domain.com)@hotmail.com, then you can add account for PIC that do not have msn.com live.com hotmai.com addresses.

eg. frank(contoso.com)@hotmail.com

All Replies
  • Are you getting any error message when you add the contacts.

• No error messages

• The person I am having an issue with is using messinger without a hotmail account, it is her corporate email.

• Could that be a federation issue with the account not being hotmail/live?

• That is what I am guessing but would like to get confirmation and a work around if available.

• Have you attempted to add these contacts manually by typing the information into the 'find a contact ..' field?

• That is the only way I know how to add someone. Is there another way?

• The reason I asked this question is that you mentioned that these contacts are not receiving or responding to invites I was thinking that you sent them all out at once and not individually.

• Domain Federation and Public IM connectivity is disabled by defrault in the Lync Online settings.   In order for you have public IM connectivity your domain must be federated with Office365.    Do you know if your domain has been federated and these settings are enabled?

• Well I am guess not since I do not know what Domain Federation is. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

• There are several factors effected by domain federation and licenseing in relation to the functionality of Lync

most of them are listed here onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../ff637586.aspx and licenseing information can be found here onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../ff951658.aspx.

It is also a fact that public connectivity with AOL Instant Messenger(AIM) as well as Yahoo! Messenger are not supported at this time.

The first link I listed above will give detailed instructions on how to enable public IM connectivity.

• Yes public IM connectivity is enabled must be due to the fact its an email address name@company.com

• I tried to get conencted to hotmail and live accounts with Lync and no luck. Wonder if this feature can be eneblad for Office 365 small business.

• Try name(domain.com)@hotmail.com, then you can add account for PIC that do not have msn.com live.com hotmai.com addresses.

eg. frank(contoso.com)@hotmail.com

• Thanks for the suggestion, however it did not work.