No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Credentials are Required

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)
I am getting prompted to enter my password in Lync on the desktop, but it will not accept my password.  It keeps saying, "Credentials are Required". 
All Replies
  • Does the same password work for Outlook and other services?

• yes

• Hi direct,

This issue can occur for multiple reasons, and in certain scenarios, this is expected behavior. Lync generally only prompts you for credentials after you are logged in when it must connect Lync to a linked service such as the Microsoft Exchange Free/Busy service or the Calendar service.

To troubleshoot the issue, please refer to the following articles:

Microsoft Lync 2010 continuously asks for credentials after signing in
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2298541/fi

Credential prompts occur when you sign in to Lync 2010 by using the Lync Online service
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2543532

If the issue persists after following the steps in the articles above, please help capture a screenshot of the error message you received and post it on the forum.

Thanks,
    Josephine Meng

• Hi direct,

Just checking in to see whether the previous information was helpful. Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thanks,
    Josephine

• I have 1 user who continues getting the "Credentials are Required" lync error.  It just keeps prompting for a password no matter how many times we enter the CORRECT password. We've tried resetting the password, but that didn't help. And I've tried finding answers in the forums, but none seem to work.  I've also run the MOSDAL tool, but I have no idea what I'm looking for in this complicated utility.

This pops up quite frequently in the forums, but MS has yet to give a satisfactory answer.  Can someone from MS please advise? I'm tired of wasting so much time on a web service that is supposed to reduce IT admin needs.

• no it wasn't helpful. I still get the credentials box and when I click on details it says, "lync cannot connect to the exchange server."

• Hi direct,

I would like to confirm if you have tried the steps in the two articles I provided according to your current error message.

Did you sign into Lync previously? Based on the current situation, I suggest running Office 365 Desktop Setup to troubleshoot this issue.

Run Office 365 Desktop Setup
    ============================
    1. Log in Office 365.
    2. Under Resources on the right side, click Downloads.
    3. You will see “Set up and configure your Office desktop apps”. Click Set up.
    4. After setup, please try to sign in Lync again.

If the issue persists, please contiune to manual configure Lync settings.

Configure the Lync settings
    ==============================
    1. In the upper-right area of Lync 2010, click the Gear icon to open the Options page.
    2. In the Lync - Options dialog box, click Personal.
    3. Next to the sign-in address, click Advanced.
    4. Make sure that Manual Configuration is selected and that the configuration values are exactly as follows:

Internal server name or IP address: sipdir.online.lync.com:443
       External server name or IP address: sipdir.online.lync.com:443

If the issue persists, please help capture a screenshot of the error message you received and post it on the forum.

Thanks,
    Josephine Meng

• Yes, I have tried all those things ... For 2 days no0w! And you don't need a screenshot. It's. Just a login box that says credentials are required. If you search the forums, it happens a lot. So if MS doesn't know what this looks like, there is a bigger problem.

I wish MS would stop messing around and wasting our time. They should just fix it! Back when this was in beta I had this problem and they opened a support case and did something with the SIP address to fix it. I wish there was real support for O 365 instead of this pseudo support.

• Hello direct ,

You indicated you have tried many of our steps with no resolution. You also indicated that you had seen the issue before and resolved it by having us review the SIP address. If so, can you confirm if the account experiencing the sign-in issue has ever used a different name previously, as described in the following link?

support.microsoft.com/.../2537764.

If the above is true, please consider opening a support ticket from the Microsoft Online Portal. If you do not have this option, please let me know.

- Albert

• None of those apply either, so now we're back to square 1.  If none of these "solutions" work, how does MS expect to fix this if I can't even PAY for support?!

• None of those apply either, so now we're back to square 1.  If none of these "solutions" work, how does MS expect to fix this if I can't even PAY for support?!

• Hello direct,

If the links we provided previously did not work, then let's try using the following link to remove and rest the credential details that exist on your PC. support.microsoft.com/.../2604176

- Albert

• Hello direct,

Did you have a chance to try my suggestions regarding your issue?

- Albert