No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Lync client is unable to connect to Exchange

This question is not answered This question is not answered

I was having computer issues so I was given a brand new laptop with a fresh Windows 7 image on it and I installed the Office 365/Office 2013 package.  After installation and setup of Outlook I launched Lync and received an error "Lync can't connect to Exchange. Your Contacts list and conversations might have issues."  Lync also is showing Presence unknown for me and is not showing any of my Lync contacts (visible via the web app).  When I search for people in my organization they show as "Updating...".

I have done a lot of research and troubleshooting and have logged into Lync 2013 on a seperate machine which worked correctly and seems to indicate a client based issue versus server based issue.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office 365 at least five times.  Both machines are running Lync 2013 (15.0.4535.1002) 32-bit.

There are a couple items to note that I have found different between the Lync 2013 instance that can and cannot connect to exchange.

Working Instance:  In configuration information there is a URL listed for EWS External URL https://outlook.office365.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx/WSSecurity

Non-working Instance:  The EWS External URL is blank

Working Instance:  In the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Office/15.0/Lync/email address/ there is a Key for "Autodiscover".

Non-working Instance:  In the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Office/15.0/Lync/email address/ there is no Key for "Autodiscover".

I saw a similar question on another thread and will try to answer the questions posed by MSFT.1.

1. Which version of Lync 2013 you’re using?  15.0.4535.1002
 2. Do all the users encounter the same issue in your organization?  No
 3. Does Lync work in the network outside of your organization?  No
 4. If you have Lync 2010 installed on the PC, does it work?  Yes

All Replies
  • Hi Marc,

To address the issue more effectively, I would like to collect the following information:
    1. Do you mean that Lync 2013 client cannot connect to Exchange just on the new Windows 7 laptop with the Office 365 account, but it works well on other computers?
    2. Do you have any on-premise environment? Have you deployed Hybrid?

Based on the current situation, I recommend you check the following information:
    1. Please check if the EWS status is OK.
    To check the EWS status, hold Ctrl button and right-click the Lync icon, click Configuration Information.
    2. To check your computer time and the local time.
    3. To check if the primary account in Outlook account is same with the account that you sign in to Lync.

Thanks,
    Anna Shi

• I have answered your questions below.

To address the issue more effectively, I would like to collect the following information:

1. Do you mean that Lync 2013 client cannot connect to Exchange just on the new Windows 7 laptop with the Office 365 account, but it works well on other computers?  

This is correct, although I should clarify that on the machine that can successfully connect I installed a full boxed version of Office 2013 and the machine not working has the Office 365 install package.

2. Do you have any on-premise environment? Have you deployed Hybrid?  

I believe it is all Office 365.

Based on the current situation, I recommend you check the following information:

1. Please check if the EWS status is OK.

On the Working system, EWS Information = EWS Status OK.  On the machine not working EWS Information = EWS not deployed.  Not that both machines are connecting to the same Office 365 account.

2. To check your computer time and the local time.

I have confirmed that the time day/time and timezone are all accurate and matches the atomic clock within a second

3. To check if the primary account in Outlook account is same with the account that you sign in to Lync.

The primary account in Outlook is the same as in Lync.

• Hi Marc,

Thanks for your clarification. And I fully understand the inconvenience caused by the issue.

Based on the above description, you can sign in to Lync 2013 in another computer without any issue with the same account, but only the EWS status is different on these two computers. Therefore, the issue should be related to Lync client. I understand that you have already uninstalled the Office 2013 several times. But could you please refer to the following link to completely uninstall the Office 2013 to check if there is any improvement? Your efforts are highly appreciated.
    Uninstall Microsoft Office 2013 or Office 365: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501/en-us

Moreover, here is a KB for your reference: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2787614

Best Regards,
    Anna Shi

• Thank you for your continued help.  I used the Fix It tool to uninstall Office and then did a full re-install from Office 365 and still see the same issue.  I also walked through the linked KB and did not find any solutions to my Lync client issue.

• Hi Marc,

I suggest you try the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:
    1. Login to Lync with your Office 365 account on a computer which has the same environment as your new laptop.
    2. Run "Regedit", and then go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Office/15.0/Lync/<your sip address> export all the items in Autodiscovery to a file.

3. Copy the file to your computer, and then import the file to your computer.
    4. Check to see if the EWS status is OK. If it is OK, try to login to Lync again.

Thanks,
    Edward Qu

• I followed the registry steps above and I get EWS Information = "EWS has not fully initialized".  Lync is also still not showing an EWS External URL even though that is populated in the registry Autodiscovery key that was imported.

• Hi Marc,

Could you help us collect the following information to troubleshoot this issue?
    1. Please go to Tools > Options > Personal, check to see if you have selected "Microsoft Exchange or Microsoft Outlook" under "Personal information manager".

2. Do you set up your Office 365 mailbox in Outlook desktop client? If yes, does the free/busy work well?
    3. Please add https://<yourdomain.com> to the Local Intranet Zone, and then test it again.

Thanks,
    Edward Qu

• 1.  See the attached screenshot.  "Microsoft Exchange or Microsoft Outlook" is selected but that entire section is greyed out.

2. Yes my account is setup in Outlook 2013.  Free/Busy information displays in the calendar but not when viewing emails.  When viewing internal senders or receipients they display as "presence unknown" 

3. I added my domain to the Local Intranet Zone and it did not make a difference.

• Hi Marc,

This issue is a client based issue. It is related to your computer. I think your operating System might have some problem. I'd like to confirm if the windows 7 image is provided by the laptop manufacturer or made by you. I suggest you re-install the Windows 7 with an Operating System DVD media.